Skip to main content

Times have Changed

It was a pleasant evening. The sun was winding up its day’s work. There was cool breeze blowing. And there was something new in the neighbourhood: a cricket match with live commentary.

“It was a good ball. The ball just missed the stumps.”

“Bowler Anjum Chopra is taking her run up from the field end. Her run up is smooth and here she comes with a fiery look in her eyes.”

“What a shot! What a shot! Amit you will have to accept that this is the best shot of the day. ”

“I completely agree with you. Kalpana had hit the ball with an élan. Just notice the distance it has traveled.”

There were grumbling sounds among the players. The batswoman minced no words when she threatened me of the consequences. “Shanu, if do not stop this I will kill you.”

I laughed at this instance of warning as I have laughed at all the previous threats. I was in no mood to give up this fun. My friend laughed too. I was sitting on the terrace of my friend’s house living the role of a professional commentator in style. Commentary was not my regular engagement during the evenings. I used to play cricket as almost the entire generation of Indian kids at that time. The only reason we were enjoying our stint that day was because the field was off limits due to certain function to be organized in the late night. There was an understanding between the kids and the teenagers in the colony. Boys generally played in the field during the evening as cricket requires space while girls were content with their unchallenged authority on the streets. So when the field was off limits to us the girls were enjoying their game. And I along with my friend was enjoying the commentary.

“Why don’t you go at some other place and play?”

“I don’t have any other thing to do. Field is occupied and more than half of my group is busy preparing for their examinations.” I expressed my helplessness.

They started playing again and we started commenting on how they were playing. Well it was fun as they were not very good at cricket and we have witnessed some of the worst batting and bowling of our lifetime. Obviously they were pissed off by the satirical comments made by us. So after 10 more minutes there was another protest.

“Why don’t you leave us alone?”

“I can’t. I’m having fun.”

“Shanu, please.” One of my very dear friends pleaded.

“I can’t.”

“If you are so bored then join us but please don’t comment.”

“I don’t play with girls.” It was an arrogant reply. Well it was not entirely true. A couple of years back we used to play almost everything together. Even at that time during power cuts we used to play hide and seek together. So there was something left in that sentence. I should have said “I don’t play cricket with girls.”

Well they knew that at that time I could not be tamed by them. So they asked for help.

“Aunty! Aunty! Look Shanu and Amit are disturbing us and not allowing us to play.”

My friend shifted uncomfortably. I passed an assuring smile to my friend. Aunty had not responded to any of their earlier pleas that day and I was confident that she would allow us to have a bit more fun. Anyways they had another 30-45 minutes at their disposal till their parents started calling them up for the studies. I was so wrong. Aunty came and asked us not to disturb them.

“But Aunty, we are not disturbing them. We are just doing our job as commentators.”

“Don’t do that then. They are not feeling comfortable.”

My friend was too petrified to speak and so I had to handle all the talking.

“Aunty, we do not have anything to do now. That is the reason we are doing this.”

“Go for a walk or better watch TV. I know that you are a TV maniac.”

“Please Aunty. I will not pass any other targeted comments. Pakka.”

“So you accept that what you were doing is wrong.”

“No. I have done nothing wrong.” And the next few sentences were where I now think I committed mistake. “I think they are not playing well. I think girls should not play cricket. It is not their cup of tea.”

I did not even realize when I was pulled up by ears and taken to my mother. While traversing the distance aunty kept on playing a mix of scolding, preaching and intimidation. I did not speak a word. I knew that I have made some mistake somewhere. My mother did not speak to me and asked aunty why not she slapped me. I was amazed. Aunty said that she did not because she wanted me to realize the mistake and that could only be done in front of my mother. I did not talk to my mother for another hour. When I finally calmed I went to her.

“I do not understand. You asked aunty why she did not hit me.”

“I did because I wanted her to stop you from doing mistakes whenever she finds out about it. I may always not know what you are doing.” She caressed my hair.

“What was my mistake?”

“Making fun of others is not good. It is even bad when you use any discrimination to judge people’s abilities. I have always told you that every human being is equal and you should not judge them on the basis of gender, religion or community.” She went on cajoling me by telling lot of stories.

Why did I tell you this? This was some 10-12 years back. Switch to the present. I was at one of my relatives place few months back. Their son came from play with teary eyes. His mother asked for the reason. He explained that he was scolded by the father of one of his friends.

“Why are you crying? You should have responded to him. You are not a weak guy.” His father told him.

I asked the father whether it is not wrong to ask a kid to talk to an elder like that.

“He is like that only. He needs to be treated in similar manner. How dare he treat my son like that.” He again addressed his son “If he does it again, come straight to me or your mother. We’ll handle this.”

I asked the mother if they realize that they might be taking the matter too seriously.

“You do not understand. He is my son. No one else has a right to scold him. If he has created any problem they should come and talk to me. They should not go on harassing my son.”

I reminded her that this was not the way we grew up.

“Times have changed.”

Indeed times have changed. A decade earlier my neighbour had the guts to scold me in front of my mother for the mistake I have done and my mother had the strength to ask her to hit me if I was found doing mistakes again. Today people are losing that spirit. Now parents have put such exclusive rights on their children that it is becoming increasingly difficult to provide a just advice to someone else’s child.

Comments

AbhiTaneja said…
dint know u were a fiction writer as well!!
gr8 going boss!
So true ,So true , and very beautifully presented.

Shanu your performance in field was really bad and now I can correlate why ?

Saley ladkion ke cricket meye commentary karta tha . Tu to bachpan se hi C.C tha .
Resurgence said…
@Taneja
Mujhe lagta hai main apna comment repeat kar raha hoon....... par is baar hindi me kehta hoon..... Dhanyawaad........ Mujhe pata hai aapne post nahi padha ....... phir bhi dhanyawaad
Resurgence said…
@Tyro
Ha ha ha...... Saley tu kaun sa tees maar khan tha (I'm not talking of football though).... Yaad hai mera catch jisne match jitaya tha... aur mera long jump kaise bhool gaya tu.... :)........ Jahan tak CC hone ka sawaal hai....... tu behtar jaanta hoga......... Main kya kahoon apne defense me...... :)
hey again , had not read this one before, & it rings very true . how times change , no one nowadays really cares to what happens to anyone else
Resurgence said…
@i'll try to be truthful
I beg to differ here. I believe that there are many who still care about the others. However the fact that I wanted to put in here was that with the change in time there has been a general change in the attitude of the people. With the coming of age of nuclear family concept in our country, there is a tendency of exclusivity creeping in. This does not mean that no one cares for others. There are people who still are from the 'old school' to say.

Popular posts from this blog

Banku and Bhootnath Authorspeak: I was going through my old files when I came across this one. I had written it long back when I saw ‘Bhootnath’ and happily forgot about it. Thus, unfortunately it never saw the Blogworld. This post has taken few potshots on some of the best people I have been with and I know that they won't mind this narration. Now that I am a little busy to write anything of significance this may act as filler. I do not know whether I will ever continue with the narration though. Year 2060: Banku and Bhootnath are sitting on a rooftop staring at the beautiful sky. The vast expanse of sky has them captivated when suddenly Banku is bugged by a childish curiosity. Banku: “Bhootnath, tell me how these stars are formed?” Bhootnath: (Obviously forgetting the reasons behind the formation of stars, fumbled to reply. You can not blame him. He is dead for 30 years and has not opened books since then. And tell me how many living people have any
The Institute: Another Home Dark clouds gathered and decided to show their strength to the sun. As the sky turned dark and wind and rain joined the coalition of clouds, our cab raced through the streets of Calcutta. The sun was overpowered and I and my brother prayed to reach our destination before the rain hits the accelerator button. That was two years ago and I was on my way to join one of the premier institutes in India for my postgraduate studies. I was in awe with everything associated with the institute. At the same time I was a bit nervous and perhaps petrified with the thought of matching the wits of some of the best brains in the country for two years. My brother, on contrary, was happy, excited and perhaps proud of the achievement of his brother. After the drive of about an hour my brother pointed out “Look we have arrived.”. There was a pang within me as I smiled and watched nervously at the board of the institute. As we entered through the gate, the two large lakes on eit
Ragging A bunch of new joinees… Aha… One would think – Some change in the overall appeal (We will not pass the judgement i.e. ‘good’ or ‘bad’ until we have a thorough analysis done on the ‘impact’ of the new change) of the Office. However, since morning the excitement which usually accompanies such events is missing. There is some visible change with multiple groups of colleagues coming down to have a look at the new bunch of ‘Fachchas/ Fachchis’ and some going out of their way to extend a warm welcome to them and still I think that the ‘Occasion’ could have been grander. This preconceived notion about such an event can be traced back to my background. As an Engineering student (especially in second year), you wait eagerly for the ‘New Arrivals’ (at least it used to be that way when I joined Engineering and I think there is no need to mention the reason behind such anticipation). The much dreaded ‘ragging’ (Am I politically incorrect in using this term?) period eventually tur