Skip to main content
Best Films of 2007

The listing is in no particular order. Please feel free to arrange them according to your preferences.

Taare Zameen Par: This is the movie which has everything at the right place. The directorial venture of Aamir Khan reiterated the fact that he has one of the most creative brains in the industry and of course he thrives on perfection. A film on children for everyone where one cries, laughs and finally reconnects to one’s childhood. I love all the songs of the movie.

Chak De India: The movie which gave the nation starved of sporting excellence a battle cry. And amazingly India performed well in sporting arena after that (at least for few months). A brilliantly written script, which subtly touches upon the crisis of Muslim identity in modern India and brings out the gender bias prevalent in our society, was transformed into an engaging saga. The 16 girls celebrated the girl power whereas ShahRukh for once showed the range of his acting which mostly remains untapped.

Jab We Met: A normal romantic movie with a refreshingly new treatment. It had the narrative to which anyone can connect. Kareena did amazingly in the bubbly girl avatar where as Shahid gave a matured performance with amazing grace. Several lively moments and soulful music combined to provide a film worth visiting.

Johnny Gaddar: James Hadley Chase met Vijay Anand in this power packed thriller on conmen. The hero of the film was actually the script which sprang up enough surprises to keep the viewer on hook. Neil Nitin Mukesh makes a dream debut in a film which has the able support from Dharmendra, Vinay Pathak and Zakir Hussain. Finally a well crafted thriller came out of the stable of bollywood after a long gap.

Guru: Mani Ratnam’s take on the life on Dhirubhai Ambani was his first sleeper hit in Hindi. Abhishek Bachchan lived the character in flesh and blood. The transition from an ambitious youth to an achiever was ably done. Rahman’s music was soulful. Aishwarya for once looked beautiful and not plastic and provided grace required to the film. Mithun made a stellar comeback.

Om Shanti Om: SRK’s marketing blitz made OSO the highest grosser ever. However the film worked because it brought back the fun to the movies. In short a total masala flick which delivered on what it promised. Hit and melodious songs transcended to screen in beautifully choreographed sequences. SRK overacts on his way to success while giving the industry a diva in form of Deepika. Arjun Rampal got a life back to his yet again flagging career.

Black Friday: A movie which I had seen much before it was released. But I visited it again. A powerful display of how reality can be dealt in cinema. Perhaps a movie which should have earned more at the boxoffice but nevertheless it remains a classic. Kay Kay delivered a knock out performance whereas Pawan Malhotra stole the show with his portrayal of Tiger Menon.

Bheja Fry: It was a copy I heard and that too a frame by frame one. So the film is a culprit in a way. It should have mentioned that it has adapted a foreign movie keeping in mind Indian taste. Did I mind watching the plagiarized version? Not at all. I enjoyed every moment of it. Vinay Pathak gave the performance of life time and was ably supported by Rajat Kapoor, Milind Soman and Sarika. I’m glad the movie worked. It showed that ultimately a movie with good treatment is what is liked by audiences and that there is a market for low budget movies also.

Life in a Metro: This film worked because of the originality of idea and the presence of characters to which any city dweller can associate. A character driven narrative in a way helped to weave an interesting story which criss-crossed the lives of all the protagonists. Direction was good and sensitive issues of fidelity, male chauvinism, uncontrollable ambition was handled subtly. Performances were good throughout and Irfan excelled in his portrayal. Music was melodious though I may not be in sync with the music band coming in the midst of every song.

Parzania: The only film that I have not watched among the one listed but which manages to make its way just because of what I have heard from trusted people. A heart wrenching reality of the horror of riots came alive on silver screen through this effort. Heard that Sarika was awesome as the mother whose son was snatched away from her and Naseeruddin Shah chipped in with yet another efficient performance. Have to watch this movie soon.

Comments

Soorya said…
Hi, am so delighted to know that I have kept the tradition alive by watching most of them ;-)..except for Johnny Gaddar,Black Friday and Parzania (not heard of this one!) ... 7/10 is not a bad score,isn't it ? :)
Anonymous said…
i'm present...:)
Anonymous said…
ok .. i am no major movie buff but watch movies carefully so i ll try to give my own ratings

TZP : 4.9/5
Jab We Met : 3.4/5
Guru : 3.9/5
Life in a Metro : 3.7/5
OsO : 1.9/5

Of course, these ratings have the elemnt of personal bias within them
Anonymous said…
best spanish movie
http://peruenamerica.blogspot.com/
Anonymous said…
great reviews....the author must try his hands on review as a profession.....never seen any such terse reviews......professionals must take a cue from this.....
Anonymous said…
Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my site, it is about the CresceNet, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://www.provedorcrescenet.com . A hug.
Manoj said…
nice wrk shanu...ur pick is abs bang on target!!! keep it up!!!

manoj
lony said…
is this list only of bollywood movies,
other wise how can it miss the Sivaji-The Boss.
I missed Black Friday out of this list.
U missed Gandhi, My Father. It should have made into this list i guess.
lony said…
few more movies worth a mention:
Shootout at Lokhandwala
The Blue Umbrella
Traffic Signal
Namestey London
Manorma Six feet Under
Dil Dosti Etc
Chhodon naa yaar
Cheeni Kum
Resurgence said…
@Rookie...... this is the ist of Hindi movies only so yeah you missed Sivaji.... the Boss and don't be offended but it would not have featured in my list of top regional movies also...... I have better list for that too...... I know it is a big hit but and liked by many people even me but there are other better films out there....... also I will give provide you with reasons for each of the movies you mentioned that why they are not in the list...... Have to catch up with my class now but rest assured that I would help you understand my sense of cinema..... lol...
Resurgence said…
@Rookie...... apologies for my above post if it seems too rude... when I read it myself I am unsure whether I crossed the line or not... but the thing is that I have my reasons to choose the movies I have mentioned..... I always maintain that movie watching is a personal experience and two persons may or may not agree to the same viewpoint..... Saying that I also think that there are many movies which are noteworthy and not always the popular ones.... if you ever want to discuss anything related to aspects of movies or the movies you have mentioned in the list... I'm just a comment away.... :)
lony said…
my list does comprises other notable movies of 2007, though they might have not made the it to the list if I would have made one with the exception of Manorama 6 feet under. I thought it was better than Johnny Gaddar (Always a personal opinion u know).
Any ways, I would look forward to ur list of the top movies from the world cinema too. I missed many in that category, so wanted to catch up with whatever i missed. Hope u'll come out with one soon.

Popular posts from this blog

Banku and Bhootnath Authorspeak: I was going through my old files when I came across this one. I had written it long back when I saw ‘Bhootnath’ and happily forgot about it. Thus, unfortunately it never saw the Blogworld. This post has taken few potshots on some of the best people I have been with and I know that they won't mind this narration. Now that I am a little busy to write anything of significance this may act as filler. I do not know whether I will ever continue with the narration though. Year 2060: Banku and Bhootnath are sitting on a rooftop staring at the beautiful sky. The vast expanse of sky has them captivated when suddenly Banku is bugged by a childish curiosity. Banku: “Bhootnath, tell me how these stars are formed?” Bhootnath: (Obviously forgetting the reasons behind the formation of stars, fumbled to reply. You can not blame him. He is dead for 30 years and has not opened books since then. And tell me how many living people have any
The Institute: Another Home Dark clouds gathered and decided to show their strength to the sun. As the sky turned dark and wind and rain joined the coalition of clouds, our cab raced through the streets of Calcutta. The sun was overpowered and I and my brother prayed to reach our destination before the rain hits the accelerator button. That was two years ago and I was on my way to join one of the premier institutes in India for my postgraduate studies. I was in awe with everything associated with the institute. At the same time I was a bit nervous and perhaps petrified with the thought of matching the wits of some of the best brains in the country for two years. My brother, on contrary, was happy, excited and perhaps proud of the achievement of his brother. After the drive of about an hour my brother pointed out “Look we have arrived.”. There was a pang within me as I smiled and watched nervously at the board of the institute. As we entered through the gate, the two large lakes on eit
Ragging A bunch of new joinees… Aha… One would think – Some change in the overall appeal (We will not pass the judgement i.e. ‘good’ or ‘bad’ until we have a thorough analysis done on the ‘impact’ of the new change) of the Office. However, since morning the excitement which usually accompanies such events is missing. There is some visible change with multiple groups of colleagues coming down to have a look at the new bunch of ‘Fachchas/ Fachchis’ and some going out of their way to extend a warm welcome to them and still I think that the ‘Occasion’ could have been grander. This preconceived notion about such an event can be traced back to my background. As an Engineering student (especially in second year), you wait eagerly for the ‘New Arrivals’ (at least it used to be that way when I joined Engineering and I think there is no need to mention the reason behind such anticipation). The much dreaded ‘ragging’ (Am I politically incorrect in using this term?) period eventually tur