Skip to main content

Taare Zameen Par

No, this is not the review of the movie. I am sure that most of you have watched the movie by now. And even if you have not I do not qualify to write the review as I have not seen the movie till now. Yeah I know it’s a shame but I will definitely watch it in a day or two. So what am I going to write with this topic in mind? Let me see…………

When I saw the trailer of the movie with a tagline “Every child is special”, I had inkling to what Aamir wanted to convey through the movie and though I have not seen the movie, as I admitted, I am taking the liberty of exploring the same sentiments within me borrowing the title of this film. My existence is often marred by too much thought and no action. Somehow the sentiments that I want to share with you have precipitated because of this inaction or may be because of the inability of convert my conviction into reality. Still confused? I know that by now you would have understood that I am trying to say something concerned to children but what?

I believe that I started to realize the deprivation of certain section of children when I was in my higher secondary. Traversing the posh Park Street of Kolkata to my college I was exposed to reality of life: where a child had to fight a dog for his share of bread thrown in a garbage can across the Assembly of God Church School. My heart bled that day. I wanted to give that child my tiffin but I didn’t. Why? “Inaction” or may be a strange feeling of losing my share of meal to an urchin. I still don’t know. This was a regular sight and the best I could do to help the plight of those few children was to resolve that one day I would become big enough to eradicate them of this helplessness. As I started commuting more in this metro I started realizing that almost everything in life is a fight for these children (or may be for most of them). I had seen them performing extraordinary tricks often risking their own lives in order to seek some attention of the passerby so that they can earn some money, getting thrashed in the public for trying to steal something, trying to study with their torn books in the midst of Moulali traffic under Street lamp (Yes it is true. Vidyasagar was not the only one who did it) and begging indiscriminately often in groups which seemed to be fun for some of them. If at all these had any effect was that I started to appreciate my ‘luck’ and upbringing. The resolve to become someone special who will change their lives one day was still alive.

But as I evolved as a person I had to come to terms with the fact that I alone can not change their destiny. It is for the society to evolve and bring them into the comfort zone. Some of my friends and batchmates in the Engineering days shared the vision. Few of them started to teach the local children who were not economically well off. What did I do? Nothing! I had the belief that the effort was made to gain limelight and nothing else and I did not want to share the platform with pseudo intellectuals. I doubt whether I was justified in thinking that way but I will not let that to affect my thought process. One of my dearest friends Sougata discussed with me the idea of adopting a child once we start our job. Needless to say I was all too inclined for it. Life had stored other surprises for us there too. After joining the job we soon found out that the pay was not sufficient enough. So reconsider the hype for the great “Indian Software Engineers”, who couldn’t support an extra soul with their initial salaries. I often flirted with the idea of atleast supporting the education of a child but was bounded by two things: One if someday being fed up of my job I decide to call it quit and run away for a month or two who would look after the education of that child. Second was the constant urge to pursue higher studies which I am currently doing. So I decided that the idea could wait till I become capable enough to handle the pressure mentally and economically.

So why did I share this with you. I was too preoccupied over last few months to give this issue a thought. However with the release of this movie all those sentiments came rushing back. These may not be in line with the message of the movie but the tagline has special meaning to me. I write this because I realize that most of my friends are now economically well off. Some of them are earning almost twice of what they were earning a year back. And so would be many more who joined with us or before us. Many of them have no obligations. Just think. Even if some of them decide to take responsibility of a child each (and I am saying responsibility and not insisting on adopting) the future of many lives could be improved. What possibly may be the cost? Perhaps Rs. 750/month in the form of school fees and stationeries, a visit or two to the child in a month and possibly few bucks extra for few annual celebrations and obligations. However considering the return it seems a small price. The satisfaction to improve a life and more importantly to share love with an unknown is no mean achievement. I know that there are many procedural and technical difficulties in implementing these and many people out there may not conform to my views. All I ask is that the capable people should give it a thought. If this appeal changes the life of even a single child no one would be happier than me.

Comments

I Like the way you think

Popular posts from this blog

Banku and Bhootnath Authorspeak: I was going through my old files when I came across this one. I had written it long back when I saw ‘Bhootnath’ and happily forgot about it. Thus, unfortunately it never saw the Blogworld. This post has taken few potshots on some of the best people I have been with and I know that they won't mind this narration. Now that I am a little busy to write anything of significance this may act as filler. I do not know whether I will ever continue with the narration though. Year 2060: Banku and Bhootnath are sitting on a rooftop staring at the beautiful sky. The vast expanse of sky has them captivated when suddenly Banku is bugged by a childish curiosity. Banku: “Bhootnath, tell me how these stars are formed?” Bhootnath: (Obviously forgetting the reasons behind the formation of stars, fumbled to reply. You can not blame him. He is dead for 30 years and has not opened books since then. And tell me how many living people have any
The Institute: Another Home Dark clouds gathered and decided to show their strength to the sun. As the sky turned dark and wind and rain joined the coalition of clouds, our cab raced through the streets of Calcutta. The sun was overpowered and I and my brother prayed to reach our destination before the rain hits the accelerator button. That was two years ago and I was on my way to join one of the premier institutes in India for my postgraduate studies. I was in awe with everything associated with the institute. At the same time I was a bit nervous and perhaps petrified with the thought of matching the wits of some of the best brains in the country for two years. My brother, on contrary, was happy, excited and perhaps proud of the achievement of his brother. After the drive of about an hour my brother pointed out “Look we have arrived.”. There was a pang within me as I smiled and watched nervously at the board of the institute. As we entered through the gate, the two large lakes on eit
Ragging A bunch of new joinees… Aha… One would think – Some change in the overall appeal (We will not pass the judgement i.e. ‘good’ or ‘bad’ until we have a thorough analysis done on the ‘impact’ of the new change) of the Office. However, since morning the excitement which usually accompanies such events is missing. There is some visible change with multiple groups of colleagues coming down to have a look at the new bunch of ‘Fachchas/ Fachchis’ and some going out of their way to extend a warm welcome to them and still I think that the ‘Occasion’ could have been grander. This preconceived notion about such an event can be traced back to my background. As an Engineering student (especially in second year), you wait eagerly for the ‘New Arrivals’ (at least it used to be that way when I joined Engineering and I think there is no need to mention the reason behind such anticipation). The much dreaded ‘ragging’ (Am I politically incorrect in using this term?) period eventually tur