Skip to main content

Conversations with my little one (Episode 3): What will I do?

It was mid-April when the Covid wave hit us and hit us hard. I was the first one to fall – scared for my family, I immediately went into self-quarantine mode. However, despite all the efforts it became evident that my wife and the little one may have fallen victim to the dreaded virus. The RT PCR tests confirmed this some days later.

 

With all of us down, my brother flew in immediately to take care of us. As all of us were covid positive, I moved back with my wife and kid. While they were stable, with each passing day it was becoming clear that I was not. My sister-in-law, who is a doctor, had got some tests and CT scan done and the results were not encouraging. My blood oxygen levels had started to dip and she also decided to fly in as the results made her worried.

 

I had to keep a brave face but knew that people were working in the background. My brother was trying to arrange oxygen cylinder for me in case of eventuality. Remember, these were the days when oxygen was not available so easily. This happened when he had gone downstairs to meet one of his friends trying to figure out a way to arrange oxygen for me. The little one who himself was not well was overwhelmed and quipped “Mummy is not well. Shanu is not well. And Chacha has gone to Patna. What will I do? I am too small.” We smiled at the statement and tried to comfort him by making him understand that his Chacha would be back soon.

 

While we were busy fighting the Covid and trying to protect our loved ones from its impact, we forgot that the little one was also fighting the same battle. He may be too small to make his concerns always visible but that innocent and emotional expression of helplessness laid bare his own conflicts.

 

P.S: I could only guess how he handled his own turmoil as that was the day when I finally had to go to hospital for a stay which was longer than anyone would have expected.

 

And now to the lessons. Son, there are two important lessons which we should all remember:

1. When you would go out in the real world, more often than not you would face situations when you would be expected to do work without being provided adequate resources. Just remember to raise your concern right there just as you did here

2. Despite best efforts, many a times you would not get the right resources, opportunities etc; your hands would be tied; In those times just do not lose hope and try to make your way out. You would find that you would succeed many a times if you persevere and do not lose hope

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Banku and Bhootnath Authorspeak: I was going through my old files when I came across this one. I had written it long back when I saw ‘Bhootnath’ and happily forgot about it. Thus, unfortunately it never saw the Blogworld. This post has taken few potshots on some of the best people I have been with and I know that they won't mind this narration. Now that I am a little busy to write anything of significance this may act as filler. I do not know whether I will ever continue with the narration though. Year 2060: Banku and Bhootnath are sitting on a rooftop staring at the beautiful sky. The vast expanse of sky has them captivated when suddenly Banku is bugged by a childish curiosity. Banku: “Bhootnath, tell me how these stars are formed?” Bhootnath: (Obviously forgetting the reasons behind the formation of stars, fumbled to reply. You can not blame him. He is dead for 30 years and has not opened books since then. And tell me how many living people have any
The Institute: Another Home Dark clouds gathered and decided to show their strength to the sun. As the sky turned dark and wind and rain joined the coalition of clouds, our cab raced through the streets of Calcutta. The sun was overpowered and I and my brother prayed to reach our destination before the rain hits the accelerator button. That was two years ago and I was on my way to join one of the premier institutes in India for my postgraduate studies. I was in awe with everything associated with the institute. At the same time I was a bit nervous and perhaps petrified with the thought of matching the wits of some of the best brains in the country for two years. My brother, on contrary, was happy, excited and perhaps proud of the achievement of his brother. After the drive of about an hour my brother pointed out “Look we have arrived.”. There was a pang within me as I smiled and watched nervously at the board of the institute. As we entered through the gate, the two large lakes on eit
Ragging A bunch of new joinees… Aha… One would think – Some change in the overall appeal (We will not pass the judgement i.e. ‘good’ or ‘bad’ until we have a thorough analysis done on the ‘impact’ of the new change) of the Office. However, since morning the excitement which usually accompanies such events is missing. There is some visible change with multiple groups of colleagues coming down to have a look at the new bunch of ‘Fachchas/ Fachchis’ and some going out of their way to extend a warm welcome to them and still I think that the ‘Occasion’ could have been grander. This preconceived notion about such an event can be traced back to my background. As an Engineering student (especially in second year), you wait eagerly for the ‘New Arrivals’ (at least it used to be that way when I joined Engineering and I think there is no need to mention the reason behind such anticipation). The much dreaded ‘ragging’ (Am I politically incorrect in using this term?) period eventually tur