Skip to main content

Conversations with my little one (Episode 2): I am here

Last couple of months have been quite challenging for us as a family. Despite taking all the precautions, we (my wife, the little one and me) were brought down by the mighty corona virus. I was hit particularly hard and had to be hospitalized for a month (yeah, a month!! and a significant portion of that stay was in ICU). I am still recovering and the path to recovery is a long one.

My brother, who had come to help us, also became Covid positive while I was hospitalized and had to stay in hospital for a few days. My sister-in-law (my wife’s sister), who is a doctor, had also come to help us tide over the tough times. Remember, this was the period when the registered cases and death tolls were at peak and the health facilities in the country were stretched beyond their limits. While I was facing my own challenges in the hospital, I could not even imagine the mental trauma that family underwent during that time. I used to video call them everyday and they did their best to put up a brave and happy face.

This incident is narrated to me by my wife when I returned. While I was in hospital, my son would rarely talk to me over video calls – he would come, say hi and then wander off. This was rather unusual for him but we could never know what goes into the mind of a growing child.

There were times when my condition would make my family very anxious. What was happening around the country was not offering any solace either. My wife accepted that she would cry at times thinking about the worst case possible. And in those moments of despair, many a times our little one would provide solace and calm. He would sneak up from behind and caress her hair saying – ‘It will be okay mummy. Do not take tension. I am here’ The innocence and purity of these words would ease and reassure her beyond explanation.

We often forget that Children are the best teachers to us. Just imagine what a young boy who is not even four would have gone through when he used to see his mother crying, his mausi (aunt) worried and his chacha (uncle) exhausted. No one had told him about my condition apart from the fact that I was not well and am at doctor’s place to recover. And yet, this little child took the responsibility of taking care of the adults of the house unconditionally – he would make them laugh, keep them engaged and also provide reassurances when required. I could only admire the strength of character he had shown. If only we adults were so mature and responsible.


P.S: The day I returned from the hospital, my friend (who had accompanied me back from hospital along with my brother) asked him to thank God even before I entered the house. He immediately ran to the Puja (worship) place and folded his hands to show his gratitude to the Almighty.

And now son, I would try to highlight lessons for you from this episode and believe me there are a few good ones.

1. In your life, you would go on making many relations of your own and carry some from us as well – the relations which are made on the grounds of love, care and compassion are the strongest and provide you the best support when needed

2. Know that even a mere ‘I am here for you’ means a world to an aggrieved soul and gives him/ her the strength to carry on the struggle

3. If someone is dear to you and is in need, it is always better that you expressly stand by his/ her side rather than being a quiet spectator and helping from side


Read Episode 1 Here

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Banku and Bhootnath Authorspeak: I was going through my old files when I came across this one. I had written it long back when I saw ‘Bhootnath’ and happily forgot about it. Thus, unfortunately it never saw the Blogworld. This post has taken few potshots on some of the best people I have been with and I know that they won't mind this narration. Now that I am a little busy to write anything of significance this may act as filler. I do not know whether I will ever continue with the narration though. Year 2060: Banku and Bhootnath are sitting on a rooftop staring at the beautiful sky. The vast expanse of sky has them captivated when suddenly Banku is bugged by a childish curiosity. Banku: “Bhootnath, tell me how these stars are formed?” Bhootnath: (Obviously forgetting the reasons behind the formation of stars, fumbled to reply. You can not blame him. He is dead for 30 years and has not opened books since then. And tell me how many living people have any
The Institute: Another Home Dark clouds gathered and decided to show their strength to the sun. As the sky turned dark and wind and rain joined the coalition of clouds, our cab raced through the streets of Calcutta. The sun was overpowered and I and my brother prayed to reach our destination before the rain hits the accelerator button. That was two years ago and I was on my way to join one of the premier institutes in India for my postgraduate studies. I was in awe with everything associated with the institute. At the same time I was a bit nervous and perhaps petrified with the thought of matching the wits of some of the best brains in the country for two years. My brother, on contrary, was happy, excited and perhaps proud of the achievement of his brother. After the drive of about an hour my brother pointed out “Look we have arrived.”. There was a pang within me as I smiled and watched nervously at the board of the institute. As we entered through the gate, the two large lakes on eit
Ragging A bunch of new joinees… Aha… One would think – Some change in the overall appeal (We will not pass the judgement i.e. ‘good’ or ‘bad’ until we have a thorough analysis done on the ‘impact’ of the new change) of the Office. However, since morning the excitement which usually accompanies such events is missing. There is some visible change with multiple groups of colleagues coming down to have a look at the new bunch of ‘Fachchas/ Fachchis’ and some going out of their way to extend a warm welcome to them and still I think that the ‘Occasion’ could have been grander. This preconceived notion about such an event can be traced back to my background. As an Engineering student (especially in second year), you wait eagerly for the ‘New Arrivals’ (at least it used to be that way when I joined Engineering and I think there is no need to mention the reason behind such anticipation). The much dreaded ‘ragging’ (Am I politically incorrect in using this term?) period eventually tur