Skip to main content

Decoding the Concept of Brand


Why would you even want to read this?

Because the question ‘What is Brand?’ may make you uncomfortable and send you looking out for answer. You may be aware of the importance of Brand in the ‘Corporate Jungle’, role it plays in the ‘Marketing Strategy’ and its seeming impact on the ‘Consumer’s Life’. However, this most basic question usually evokes a very text bookish response. When I graduated of my MBA College (a very respectable one, I must say) with the ‘Best Marketing Student’ tag, I was very comfortable in what Philp Kotler had to say about brand: brand is defined as a "name, term, sign symbol (or a combination of these) that identifies the maker or seller of the product." And though it is perfectly okay to look at ‘Brand’ through the prism of the above definition, I have come to conclude that this is not the only truth or the version out there. This belief has come from interacting consumers of all hues and colours in my career of last one decade.


Why seeking alternative truths?

Because, however we may like to believe otherwise, Brand remains a ‘Vague Concept’. It is vague because it cannot be seen – it remains firmly inside a Consumer’s head (probably heart too). And people interpret, visualize and interact with this ‘Concept’ in their own unique way – so, theoretically, there are as many ways of visualizing and interpreting brands as there are people living in this planet. Fortunately, as with all other concepts and emotions, categorization works and there would be very limited sets of worthy ‘Brand Definitions’ that would really matter in the real world. It is important to seek and understand these alternative versions too else we run the risk of serving the world with a very myopic view of a fascinating concept.


How different are these Truths?

I think these truths may vary significantly with the ‘standard one’. I would speak from my experience in interacting consumers in India. One of the hallmark of most of the prevalent Brand definitions is their focus on individuality. The concept of Brand is always tied to the identification with a specific maker or seller (as can also be seen in the definition given above). In India, though, for a significant population Brand refers to a collective identity. Phrases like ‘Hum bachhon ke liye Branded kapde kharidte hain – Dabbe wale’ (For our children, we always buy branded clothes – which comes in boxes) OR ‘Main kuchh bhi local nahi kharidta, sab kuchh branded hote hain, dukaan se’ (I do not buy anything local. Everything is branded purchased from shop) are very common. The idea of anything that is packed or is purchased from shop being a branded commodity has acceptance – the usual decision factors would play a role but in these cases, the concept of brand individuality goes for a toss and it does not matter as long the given criteria is fulfilled.


You may point out that these are not brands then – a valid argument that stems from the belief that brand should always create distinction at the maker/ seller level in the mind of the consumer. However, that is the end goal of marketing and advertising teams – the concept of ‘Brand’ in an individual’s mind may or may not evolve to that level.


Why the concept of collective identity of Brands missed the popular discourse? I don’t know the answer - Probably because the concepts were first developed in western world which had more formal markets or maybe because it was targeted mainly at the marketing professionals who would have loved the singular idea of ‘Brand individuality and distinction’.


Like this, there are sure to be other narrations of Brand which needs to be explored and brought into popular discourse.

What is my take on Brand?

Very tricky – On one hand I am advocating against the presence of a universal truth and at the same time also chipping in with my understanding of it. First and foremost, Brand is a differentiator – the level of differentiation (collective/ individual) depends on individual, category, exposure and purchase instance.


Second, Brand is a facilitator – it aids a person in evaluating options to purchase. While many would argue it is the reason to decide, I would rather prefer it to be a facilitator of decision making than of decision itself.


Third, Brand is a surrogate - in an extension to its role as a facilitator, it also simplifies the evaluation process by becoming a proxy for many benefits considered while making a purchase decision. Brand, thus, evokes benefits and emotions associated with them. So, a ‘dabba’ (box) as in one of the examples above becomes a surrogate for Quality and Aspiration for someone buying clothes for his/ her children.


Fourth, Brand is fluid – Brand exists in one’s mind. A brand may mean different thing to different people; it may mean differently to same person in different time or different context. For e.g. a brand may be too dull for my own consumption but a very reliable & worthy product for my parents.


Fifth, Brand is universal – Anything and everything under the sun which has potential demand for consumption is a Brand. Two widely prevalent misconceptions are that brand is only applicable in certain categories and maker/ seller having certain size/ volume of business is deserved to be called a brand.


And if I have to summarize my understanding in one sentence, it would be like; Brand, at a Concept level, is a differentiator which facilitates the evaluation process in purchase decision by evoking benefits and emotions associated with them.


What Next?

We know that Brand is a vague concept; we also know that it facilitates Decision Making. We also have a model (EAR) which attempts to decode the Consumer Decision Making process. The logical next step would be to revisit that model with the Concept of Brand and see how that model would prove useful in the real world.

Post Script:

Very early in my career, while presenting a finding one of the very senior executives of the firm countered me: ‘But, we are not Apple’. I replied: ‘To someone who has bought your product, your product is Apple’. Brand is not what you believe your organization/ your product is; Brands is what exists in every potential consumer’s mind and what benefits/ emotions it evokes. Be very careful on how you go about managing it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Banku and Bhootnath Authorspeak: I was going through my old files when I came across this one. I had written it long back when I saw ‘Bhootnath’ and happily forgot about it. Thus, unfortunately it never saw the Blogworld. This post has taken few potshots on some of the best people I have been with and I know that they won't mind this narration. Now that I am a little busy to write anything of significance this may act as filler. I do not know whether I will ever continue with the narration though. Year 2060: Banku and Bhootnath are sitting on a rooftop staring at the beautiful sky. The vast expanse of sky has them captivated when suddenly Banku is bugged by a childish curiosity. Banku: “Bhootnath, tell me how these stars are formed?” Bhootnath: (Obviously forgetting the reasons behind the formation of stars, fumbled to reply. You can not blame him. He is dead for 30 years and has not opened books since then. And tell me how many living people have any
The Institute: Another Home Dark clouds gathered and decided to show their strength to the sun. As the sky turned dark and wind and rain joined the coalition of clouds, our cab raced through the streets of Calcutta. The sun was overpowered and I and my brother prayed to reach our destination before the rain hits the accelerator button. That was two years ago and I was on my way to join one of the premier institutes in India for my postgraduate studies. I was in awe with everything associated with the institute. At the same time I was a bit nervous and perhaps petrified with the thought of matching the wits of some of the best brains in the country for two years. My brother, on contrary, was happy, excited and perhaps proud of the achievement of his brother. After the drive of about an hour my brother pointed out “Look we have arrived.”. There was a pang within me as I smiled and watched nervously at the board of the institute. As we entered through the gate, the two large lakes on eit
Ragging A bunch of new joinees… Aha… One would think – Some change in the overall appeal (We will not pass the judgement i.e. ‘good’ or ‘bad’ until we have a thorough analysis done on the ‘impact’ of the new change) of the Office. However, since morning the excitement which usually accompanies such events is missing. There is some visible change with multiple groups of colleagues coming down to have a look at the new bunch of ‘Fachchas/ Fachchis’ and some going out of their way to extend a warm welcome to them and still I think that the ‘Occasion’ could have been grander. This preconceived notion about such an event can be traced back to my background. As an Engineering student (especially in second year), you wait eagerly for the ‘New Arrivals’ (at least it used to be that way when I joined Engineering and I think there is no need to mention the reason behind such anticipation). The much dreaded ‘ragging’ (Am I politically incorrect in using this term?) period eventually tur