Skip to main content

Fear

It is not very often that I get time to ponder upon ‘Life’ and when I do I get stuck at some very basic elements. This might reflect poorly on me but the last time I tried to think about life, I got trapped by something as basic as ‘Emotion’. I realized that I do not even naively understand this simple word and yet I persisted (I have always been headstrong in that way). I was trying to understand what could qualify as the ‘strongest emotion of all’ – the gut said it has to be ‘Happiness’ (but isn’t happiness a state of mind guided by emotions rather than emotion itself?); the heart was rooting for ‘Love’; the mind had read somewhere that it was ‘Hate’ and I was sure that a suppressed part in the brain was advocating for ‘Rage’. Four strong contenders and yet I gravitated towards ‘Fear’.

I think that just like colours, there are some basic emotions which combine to give a wide array of emotions and ‘Fear’ is the most basic of those basic emotions. I consider it to be the trigger – a shadow; a manipulator which remains hidden in the background most of the times and yet stage manage things. Give it a moment to sink in and then think through – isn’t ‘Fear’ the driver for most of (I would like to write ‘all of’ but then sometimes one needs to have moderate viewpoint) our emotions?

There are times when I have rushed to a conclusion and this may be one of those instances but, as of now, I feel that if one has the ability to influence the fear in others (s)he has the ability to control them. Fear obstructs logical thinking; manipulates priorities; guides most of our critical decisions and we seldom realize this brazenly open fact. This is the reason that people who would love to lead us are often tempted to use tactics which invoke the potential ‘fear factor’ amongst us. As stated I may have rushed to a conclusion again but what is the harm in giving this hypothesis a chance to be tested in the real world.

Elections are just round the corner and political parties and individuals would seek our mandate – our permission to be governed; our consent to be controlled. There would be many marketing gimmicks but I think (as in past) fear would emerge as a potent tool. ‘Fear’ of the minority to be under the complete domination of right wing majority fundamentalists; ‘Fear’ of the majority to lose a considerable interest to minority (which to some is also the appeasement of undeserving) in the name of ‘secularism’; ‘Fear’ of downtrodden and backwards to be, yet again, pushed back to the periphery of the development; ‘Fear’ of the higher class (which may sometimes be read as caste) to lose their prominence due to social engineering; ‘Fear’ of the employed to be left behind as the economy slows down; ‘Fear’ of the youngsters not getting their due because of flawed governance; ‘Fear’ of middle class being looted continuously by corrupt babus;‘Fear’ of housewives over rising expenses and what not.

It would be a pity that these fears would determine our future. I know the last sentence has the potential to be a bit controversial – am I suggesting that Inflation, Corruption, Job Creation & Economy should not be a part of our decision on our vote? No, I am not. What I meant was fear should not solely guide our vote – it should be accompanied by logical and rational thinking. But we are but humans. We err – we are naturally designed to give in to fear. We have done it for millennia and we would continue to do so in the future too. The game is on – parties and individuals are and would continue stoking our fears. The ones who manage to manipulate the fears better and in a refined way would hold an edge in the coming elections.

P.S: There are many ways to manipulate fear. I know a few tricks myself:
  1. The fear of unknown – remember the ghost stories?
  2. The fear of known – the famous dialogue by Gabbar Singh proclaiming that kids are kept in discipline by invoking his fear illustrates this form.
  3. The fear invoked by showcasing one’s weakness – ‘You are too weak. You know, you cannot fight this alone.’ type situations


There could be many other tricks in the ‘Fear Management’ course. Watch out and keep me updated if you find those.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Banku and Bhootnath Authorspeak: I was going through my old files when I came across this one. I had written it long back when I saw ‘Bhootnath’ and happily forgot about it. Thus, unfortunately it never saw the Blogworld. This post has taken few potshots on some of the best people I have been with and I know that they won't mind this narration. Now that I am a little busy to write anything of significance this may act as filler. I do not know whether I will ever continue with the narration though. Year 2060: Banku and Bhootnath are sitting on a rooftop staring at the beautiful sky. The vast expanse of sky has them captivated when suddenly Banku is bugged by a childish curiosity. Banku: “Bhootnath, tell me how these stars are formed?” Bhootnath: (Obviously forgetting the reasons behind the formation of stars, fumbled to reply. You can not blame him. He is dead for 30 years and has not opened books since then. And tell me how many living people have any
The Institute: Another Home Dark clouds gathered and decided to show their strength to the sun. As the sky turned dark and wind and rain joined the coalition of clouds, our cab raced through the streets of Calcutta. The sun was overpowered and I and my brother prayed to reach our destination before the rain hits the accelerator button. That was two years ago and I was on my way to join one of the premier institutes in India for my postgraduate studies. I was in awe with everything associated with the institute. At the same time I was a bit nervous and perhaps petrified with the thought of matching the wits of some of the best brains in the country for two years. My brother, on contrary, was happy, excited and perhaps proud of the achievement of his brother. After the drive of about an hour my brother pointed out “Look we have arrived.”. There was a pang within me as I smiled and watched nervously at the board of the institute. As we entered through the gate, the two large lakes on eit
Ragging A bunch of new joinees… Aha… One would think – Some change in the overall appeal (We will not pass the judgement i.e. ‘good’ or ‘bad’ until we have a thorough analysis done on the ‘impact’ of the new change) of the Office. However, since morning the excitement which usually accompanies such events is missing. There is some visible change with multiple groups of colleagues coming down to have a look at the new bunch of ‘Fachchas/ Fachchis’ and some going out of their way to extend a warm welcome to them and still I think that the ‘Occasion’ could have been grander. This preconceived notion about such an event can be traced back to my background. As an Engineering student (especially in second year), you wait eagerly for the ‘New Arrivals’ (at least it used to be that way when I joined Engineering and I think there is no need to mention the reason behind such anticipation). The much dreaded ‘ragging’ (Am I politically incorrect in using this term?) period eventually tur