Skip to main content

New Story: Shamisha - Part 2


I disconnected the call, switched off my phone and went to sleep. Lady Sleep, who usually is kind to me, was in off mood and served me quite late. I woke late. It was the weekend and hence there was no rush. I took my time to freshen up and switched on my phone – it showed 114 missed calls from unknown numbers. 

I was numb. I called Gulati – ‘Dude, it is getting on my nerves.’ I filled him with details before deciding on what to do next.

‘I am going to Police. It is a case of harassment- why!! It is full-fledged stalking.’
‘And what would you say to them? A girl is harassing you by calling you from more than 100 different numbers. And what is her interest in a not so attractive guy? – She likes his voice. Dude no one is going to believe you.’
‘I need to do something.’ I was feeling the heat somehow. ‘Shall I ask Shekhar to help?’
‘Dude!! Calm down. You are panicking for nothing.’
‘But he is…’
‘A famous crime investigator. But there is no crime here. And he is an extremely busy man. We should not take undue advantage from him. This case does not need him - we will handle it ourselves.’

‘What shall we do?’
‘The next time she calls, engage her – Get to know anything which would allow us to locate or identify her.’
‘I do not know. I will try. I think her voice has a familiar touch – I am yet to place it on a person though.’
‘Well!! Keep trying on that too. We will end this soon.’ Gulati said with flair akin to James Bond.

Despite his suggestion, I dropped a mail to Shekhar explaining the situation and asking for his help. We are good friends and as expected I got a prompt reply – he was busy in some case but referred me to a Police Officer, Shiv Kant, who would help me. I called Shiv Kant and told him my story. He gave me a patient hearing, asked me for a few details and promised to come back within a couple of days. I was slightly relieved. I took my lunch and watched an old favourite on my laptop. The day was going smooth until that phone call put a break to it.

‘Hello!!’ she was tentative.
‘Yes.’ I said. It was time to put Gulati’s strategy at work.
‘Ah!! I thought you would not pick the phone.’
‘I thought the same.’ I said with a chuckle.
‘Oh!! The mood is so different. I like this version of ‘You’. So, how are you today?’
‘I am fine. It is strange though that you did not address me as Karan.’
‘Ha ha!! I knew from the first day that you are not Karan.’
‘And yet you chose to address me with that name. Any specific reasons?’
‘You will come to know of that eventually. We are just getting started to know each other.’
‘I am not sure. But let us start by that way. We have not been formally introduced. I am Rahul.’
‘I know. I am Shamisha.’ I froze for a moment – the mind went completely blank.

‘Say it again.’
‘What? My name? Shamisha.’ I went into a shell. ‘You sound surprised?’ She asked.
‘I used to know a girl named Shamisha once. Are you the same girl?’ I was in two minds. I realized why her voice sounded familiar but it was not exactly the same. I was in two minds.
‘It is for you to decide.’ She disconnected the call.
‘Hello!! Hello!!’ I tried to call back but the calls got disconnected.

I called Mithilesh. ‘You are not playing any games with me na?’
‘Why? What happened?’
‘The girl who has been calling me all these days now claims that her name is Shamisha.’
‘What?’
‘Yes. You are sure this isn’t one of your silly ideas to get my love life going?’
‘Of course!! Why are you even thinking that I would do such a thing?’
‘Because very few people know of my feelings for her. And among them only you can act in such a rash way.’
‘Well, I haven’t. And why can’t she call you? The girl who is calling you may be Shamisha.’
‘No. She is not. First, why would she call me from hundred different numbers? Second, though the voice is very similar it is not the same. Someone is trying to impersonate her.’
‘Who could that be?’
‘We will find that out. We will have a concall with our entire group tonight. Okay?’
‘Okay.’

I took a deep breath – I had to find the guy who was playing this thing on me. Only a few close friends knew about my feelings for Shamisha. It should be one among them – strangely, I could not think of anyone doing this to me (not even Mithilesh, even though I flaked him for the same a few moments back). Who could do this? My chain of thoughts was broken by a call from Shiv Kant.
‘Can you come over to my station?’
‘When?’
‘Now’

Using public transport would have taken a long time. I called Mithilesh. ‘Busy?’
‘Nahi. Bol?’
‘Can you spare an hour for me? I need to go to the police station.’
‘Okay. I am coming over to your place.’

As his car pulled outside my gate, I found Gulati sitting there too. I looked questioningly at Mithilesh.
‘What? You do not want me to be present in your first tryst with a police station?’ Gulati asked with a glint in his eyes.

I smiled. ‘Chal’ I said to Mithilesh.

Shiv Kant’s police station was swanky unlike the ones we are accustomed to see in Hindi movies and serials. He greeted us with a smile – ‘This place was renovated last year. You guys are looking shocked?’ we nodded in tandem. ‘Well, you will be more shocked when I tell you the reason I called you.’

‘What?’ I asked.
‘None of the numbers you were called from exist.’

Click Here for Part 3

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Banku and Bhootnath Authorspeak: I was going through my old files when I came across this one. I had written it long back when I saw ‘Bhootnath’ and happily forgot about it. Thus, unfortunately it never saw the Blogworld. This post has taken few potshots on some of the best people I have been with and I know that they won't mind this narration. Now that I am a little busy to write anything of significance this may act as filler. I do not know whether I will ever continue with the narration though. Year 2060: Banku and Bhootnath are sitting on a rooftop staring at the beautiful sky. The vast expanse of sky has them captivated when suddenly Banku is bugged by a childish curiosity. Banku: “Bhootnath, tell me how these stars are formed?” Bhootnath: (Obviously forgetting the reasons behind the formation of stars, fumbled to reply. You can not blame him. He is dead for 30 years and has not opened books since then. And tell me how many living people have any
The Institute: Another Home Dark clouds gathered and decided to show their strength to the sun. As the sky turned dark and wind and rain joined the coalition of clouds, our cab raced through the streets of Calcutta. The sun was overpowered and I and my brother prayed to reach our destination before the rain hits the accelerator button. That was two years ago and I was on my way to join one of the premier institutes in India for my postgraduate studies. I was in awe with everything associated with the institute. At the same time I was a bit nervous and perhaps petrified with the thought of matching the wits of some of the best brains in the country for two years. My brother, on contrary, was happy, excited and perhaps proud of the achievement of his brother. After the drive of about an hour my brother pointed out “Look we have arrived.”. There was a pang within me as I smiled and watched nervously at the board of the institute. As we entered through the gate, the two large lakes on eit
Ragging A bunch of new joinees… Aha… One would think – Some change in the overall appeal (We will not pass the judgement i.e. ‘good’ or ‘bad’ until we have a thorough analysis done on the ‘impact’ of the new change) of the Office. However, since morning the excitement which usually accompanies such events is missing. There is some visible change with multiple groups of colleagues coming down to have a look at the new bunch of ‘Fachchas/ Fachchis’ and some going out of their way to extend a warm welcome to them and still I think that the ‘Occasion’ could have been grander. This preconceived notion about such an event can be traced back to my background. As an Engineering student (especially in second year), you wait eagerly for the ‘New Arrivals’ (at least it used to be that way when I joined Engineering and I think there is no need to mention the reason behind such anticipation). The much dreaded ‘ragging’ (Am I politically incorrect in using this term?) period eventually tur