Skip to main content

Fast for a Cause

‘Stop being a glutton. How much would you eat? At least pay heed to the emergency call from your waistline.’ I cautioned him.


‘Are!! Do not stop me from eating, at least not today. I am in preparation mode.’

‘Preparation for what?’

‘I am going for fast unto death from tomorrow morning. This is my last meal before the fast. So let me have it in peace.’

‘Well, if it is fast unto death then I think this is probably your last meal.’ I winked at him.

‘Well, maybe. But, if the government agrees to the demands then I would be spared of an untimely death while the society would benefit a lot.’

I had never known him to have a strong viewpoint on anything except of course on food. Probably, he had been influenced by the recent emergence of a strong and vocal civil society. Anyways, the crusade against corruption has caught the imagination of millions in this once sacred land.

‘So, now we would watch you on national television making a case for bringing back black money to the country.’ I said with a straight face.

‘No, no, no!! I am not joining that fast. Let them take care of corruption. I am going to raise another pertinent issue.’

‘Really!!’

‘Yes. I am going to raise the issue of environment and the need for its conservation.’

‘And you are planning to start this fast tomorrow?’

‘Yes.’

‘I do not think it is the right time to start this movement of yours.’

‘Well, I think it is the perfect time to start it. World Environment Day has just gone by and I did not see any major initiative taken or reported barring the Greenathon on NDTV. It is time the concerned authorities start giving due importance to the cause of the environment.’

‘I am not against your cause. I am just saying that it is not the perfect time to start this movement. Remember, at present, there is a hyped movement going on against black money. The hype is so much that the news channels forgot to give due importance to an important occasion like World Environment Day. Your movement will be drowned by this tsunami. Remember the boxoffice rule – never release your film along with a biggie.’

‘I have a plan to garner attention. Everything is possible in this age of social media. Facebook was instrumental in bringing revolutions in the Middle Eastern countries – it will help this cause as well. Further, I have friends in media who have promised me coverage.’

‘I doubt if social networking media would generate similar support for this cause. But what is the harm in giving it a try? As far as coverage in traditional media is concerned, remember there is a difference between coverage and effective and impactful coverage.’

‘Why are you being so cautious?’

‘There is a reason. I do not want such an important initiative to meet an immature death.’

‘So, you are with me on this?’

‘I am supportive of the cause. I am not sure of the method though. I am not sure that a protest by fasting is a panacea to all our woes. Though fasting would definitely help your waistline.’ I smiled at him.

‘Look all around you. Fasting is a credible and effective way to draw the government’s attention to an issue. It also ensures that government acts in a desired way.’

‘Or in other words – arm twisting the government?’

‘No. It is not a way to blackmail the government. It is to make the government perform its duties. Look at the success of the agitation for an effective Lokpal Bill.’

‘Even though I do not concur with your views, I will not debate on this contentious issue. If you feel that keeping fast for your demands is the best way forward then go ahead. But, you will have to ensure a very good support for your act. If you couldn’t then in all probability your mission will fall short of its goals.’

‘I know. Until there is a show of strength and solidarity, the careless government would not pay heed to my demands.’

‘And what are your demands? I am sure you would have consulted some eminent environmentalists and experts before drafting your demands.’

‘Hah!! No need. I am much sensitized towards the need of the environment and its preservation in the country. And even if I am no expert, the demands are very basic in nature and should be easily implementable.’

‘So, tell me your demands.’ I asked.

‘The first and foremost demand is the immediate restoration of all the glaciers especially Gangotri to their position at the time of independence; Also to restore the original course of rivers of the land.’ I had a hearty laugh at his suggestions.

‘Why are you laughing?’

‘Be a little practical my dear friend. How can one immediately restore the glaciers? Further, for some rivers change of course is a natural phenomenon.’

‘Are!! When people can demand immediate retrieval of black money from foreign countries and also declaration of illegal wealth held abroad by Indians as national property then why are my demands illogical. But if you deem these illogical then I have also worked on some reasonable and logical demands.’

‘Like…’

‘Like immediate mechanism to stop pollution of rivers by setting up sewerage treatment plants and effective waste management systems at major towns and cities; protection of aquatic wildlife especially endangered species like river dolphins.’ He was agitated but now he was making some valid points.

He continued, ‘Then there are issues like promotion of green energy. When we can look for building nuclear reactors, why can’t we fund generously for researches to find cheap and alternative ways to light our villages and cities? And there should be mandatory 20% green cover for all the cities and towns in the country.’

I realized that the issues raised by him warrant meaningful debate / discussions and also required larger participation from the civic society.

‘You have raised some pertinent issues.’ I said. ‘But why go on a fast to pressurize the government when the foremost need is to sensitize the common people.’

‘What do you mean?’

‘Sewerage treatment plant is fine but don’t you think we are also responsible for the pollution of our water bodies by throwing garbage, ‘puja materials’ and other waste directly to these life giving water sources? There is a need to build a sustained campaign to implore people to resist pollution of our rivers.’

‘Hmm.’

‘Similarly, making it mandatory for a city to have 20% green cover sounds great – but, what if residents of these cities actually come out and plant trees in a planned and systematic way to make their city green.’

‘I see your point.’

‘There needs to have an engaging debate among commoners, experts and authorities to come up with a plan for sustainable environment. It is not always necessary to be at loggerheads with the authorities – sometimes coordination works well. And such causes require coordination between all the stakeholders.’

Despite my persuasion he went ahead with the fast. His fast did not last for a day. There was no huge gathering, minimal media presence (his friends kept their promises) and no illogical demands. He realized that he would not be able to generate the desired momentum through this route and hence broke his ‘fast unto death’ with a hearty meal. However, he has started working on a plantation drive in his city with a few genuine enthusiasts whom he met during his fast.

Comments

Kunal said…
haven't even read your blog yet, just read the mail that had the link

DISLIKE!!

From next time.. just send the link.. cut the crap
piyush.jain said…
good post..
but the end was a little abrupt...
kuch masale ki kami khal rahi thi...but the idea was good

Popular posts from this blog

Banku and Bhootnath Authorspeak: I was going through my old files when I came across this one. I had written it long back when I saw ‘Bhootnath’ and happily forgot about it. Thus, unfortunately it never saw the Blogworld. This post has taken few potshots on some of the best people I have been with and I know that they won't mind this narration. Now that I am a little busy to write anything of significance this may act as filler. I do not know whether I will ever continue with the narration though. Year 2060: Banku and Bhootnath are sitting on a rooftop staring at the beautiful sky. The vast expanse of sky has them captivated when suddenly Banku is bugged by a childish curiosity. Banku: “Bhootnath, tell me how these stars are formed?” Bhootnath: (Obviously forgetting the reasons behind the formation of stars, fumbled to reply. You can not blame him. He is dead for 30 years and has not opened books since then. And tell me how many living people have any
The Institute: Another Home Dark clouds gathered and decided to show their strength to the sun. As the sky turned dark and wind and rain joined the coalition of clouds, our cab raced through the streets of Calcutta. The sun was overpowered and I and my brother prayed to reach our destination before the rain hits the accelerator button. That was two years ago and I was on my way to join one of the premier institutes in India for my postgraduate studies. I was in awe with everything associated with the institute. At the same time I was a bit nervous and perhaps petrified with the thought of matching the wits of some of the best brains in the country for two years. My brother, on contrary, was happy, excited and perhaps proud of the achievement of his brother. After the drive of about an hour my brother pointed out “Look we have arrived.”. There was a pang within me as I smiled and watched nervously at the board of the institute. As we entered through the gate, the two large lakes on eit
Ragging A bunch of new joinees… Aha… One would think – Some change in the overall appeal (We will not pass the judgement i.e. ‘good’ or ‘bad’ until we have a thorough analysis done on the ‘impact’ of the new change) of the Office. However, since morning the excitement which usually accompanies such events is missing. There is some visible change with multiple groups of colleagues coming down to have a look at the new bunch of ‘Fachchas/ Fachchis’ and some going out of their way to extend a warm welcome to them and still I think that the ‘Occasion’ could have been grander. This preconceived notion about such an event can be traced back to my background. As an Engineering student (especially in second year), you wait eagerly for the ‘New Arrivals’ (at least it used to be that way when I joined Engineering and I think there is no need to mention the reason behind such anticipation). The much dreaded ‘ragging’ (Am I politically incorrect in using this term?) period eventually tur