Skip to main content

Making of a Bhojpuri Album


As I came out of the plane, a sudden chill in the air welcomed me to the capital of the country. I enjoyed this reception by the weather – here in Calcutta (as I maintain I still prefer it over Kolkata) the weather does not allow one to indulge with the winter. It was still January and I was expecting this encounter with ‘cold’. The mobile phone had finally succeeded in reestablishing the communication with one of the leading telecom networks in India. I dialed the number – ‘The flight has arrived. Where shall I meet you?’

‘I know, I know. First catch hold of your friend and then tell me your location. I will be there within no time.’

I was in Delhi for the wedding of a very dear friend. Many of the college friends were supposed to attend the wedding – it was meant to be a small get together for us. One of them was scheduled to arrive just before me and I had asked him to wait for me – we met outside the terminal. He had not changed at all in these two years with all his charm, mannerism intact. True to his word, my friend, who had come to receive me, appeared within no time in his car.  

 ‘So, how is life?’ I asked my friend as he drove through the wide streets of Delhi. There was a playful smile on his face. 

‘There is a surprise in store for you.’ 

‘I have a fair bit of inkling on that surprise though.’ I said with a smile. It was his time to be surprised.
‘Do you?’ he asked.

‘Yup!! It has to do with the studio that you have established some 2-3 months back?’

‘How do you…?’

‘I am your childhood friend and I am also fairly well connected. So, why didn’t you tell me earlier?’

‘The studio was meant to be a surprise for you.’

‘He he… better luck next time buddy!!’ 

‘Well then you will not have to wait long…’ I looked enquiringly at him as he continued ‘I am producing a Bhojpuri music album.’

‘What?’

The current state of popular Bhojpuri music industry is not a secret – it is dominated by songs with suggestive meanings and very ordinary music. The videos of such songs naturally are raunchy (for the lack of better word) & regressive in which the women are projected as materialistic objects. As someone who has lived outside my native state of Bihar for a better part of last decade, I have always felt that such products from Bhojpuri music / cinema industry are often instrumental in bringing ridicule to the culture of Bihar. I have often tried to point out to my friends and acquaintances that the culture of Bihar is beyond what is reflected in these cheap / vulgar products. The response is generally a smirk which thrives on the presence of thousands of such videos on youtube and other online repositories. The sad part is that that there is a lack of online content which brings out the real culture of Bihar – its music, its dance, its art and its spirit. 

‘So what have you named your company?’ I asked my friend. Though the friend who was getting married had arranged accommodation for all of us, I chose to stay with my friend. 

‘Myth Media Solution Private Limited.’ he replied with a glee.  

‘Myth?’  

‘Has some similarity with my name plus to me it appears cool.’

‘Point taken. But why a Bhojpuri album?’

‘Have you seen or heard the trash they produce in the name of Bhojpuri?’ I nodded in affirmation. He opened ‘youtube’ and clicked on some of the videos. ‘Don’t you think, in a way, these songs malign us and our culture?’

‘I could not agree more.’

‘I feel hurt with such misrepresentation of our identity. Creators of such ‘trash’ claim that such products are churned out because of the existence of popular demand. I want to bring a change in this perception. I believe there exists an equally big, if not bigger, market for good quality entertainment in our languages.’

 ‘I think it is a nice thought… I am with you in this initiative. Do not hesitate to ask if I could be helpful in any ways.’

‘Why are you being so formal? Even if you would not have liked the idea, I would have dragged you into this.’ I smiled at his comment.

‘So, how far have you progressed?’

‘Still at the initial stage. There are some good talents in my team. Kal studio chalenge to sabse milwaunga. And you will also be able to listen to the scratch of some of the songs. Now take rest. You must be tired.’

I liked the way he had designed his studio. Though located at the basement of a bungalow in Noida, the studio oozed creativity and warmth. I am not accustomed to the equipments used in media production but the gizmos there surely impressed me. ‘We are aiming to provide complete media solution to our clients in addition to producing albums not only in Bhojpuri but in other languages as well.’ said my friend. And then I was introduced to a very young, talented and ambitious team. I could remember the name of a few if not all – Nitin, Nitesh, Pankaj, Saurabh, Prem, Amit, Priyanka, Garima, Bhavana and of course I knew their leader Mithilesh. They were all excited with the way their venture had started to pick up the pace.

‘Would you be kind enough to listen to the scratch of one of our songs?’

‘I would be privileged.’

‘Remember, a scratch is just like the rough work. While the basic beats may remain same, everything including the voice will change in the final version.’ I nodded.

I closed my eyes and listened to the basic version of a song which would become my favourite of all – ‘Mehangai’ (Inflation / Price Rise). It was similar to ‘Mehangai Dayan’ of Peepli Live in spirit and essence but I think quite different in terms of treatment. It is a satirical and livelier take on the issue which has hit the common man of late. My friend didn’t have to ask for my reaction – the joy on my face gave it all.

‘What next? How many songs are in the pipeline for this album?’

‘May be 5 or 6 more. One would definitely be on Bihar – on the transformation that it is showing in last few years.’

‘Good idea.’

‘Do you think it would be a good idea to experiment in my first album only?’

‘Why?’

‘I want to introduce a new sound in Bhojpuri. While most of the songs will retain the earthy flavour, I want to test if a different kind of sound will work for Bhojpuri.’

‘I do not think there is any harm in trying anything new. Anyways you are trying to break the mould.’

For last two months, I have closely watched the way the album had shaped up. I have witnessed how these enthusiasts have crossed all the hurdles they have faced. It is dues their indomitable spirit that this soon to be released album boasts of some wonderful tracks – my personal favourites (apart from ‘Mehangai’) being ‘Thumka’ and ‘Aasmani Achra’. However, this is my opinion (which may be biased) – you could always form your opinion by visiting these songs at the following link:


This album is a first step towards changing the (mis)perception regarding the Bhojpuri music in particular and culture of Bihar in general. This may be a fine first attempt but a lot needs to be done. My friend accepts that there are many challenges in bringing the educated class closer to the popular regional entertainment. He and his team creative team for the album comprising of Animesh (Music Director), Sahil (Music Director), Kukku (Lyricist) and a set of talented vocalists and artists are trying to swim against the tide to prove a point. The million dollar question is – Will the educated class appreciate /support such an attempt to bring the lost glory back?

Comments

Aamir said…
Rahul ji , we are still waiting to listen the song..Get the CD asap..All the best to your friend for this new venture...

Popular posts from this blog

Banku and Bhootnath Authorspeak: I was going through my old files when I came across this one. I had written it long back when I saw ‘Bhootnath’ and happily forgot about it. Thus, unfortunately it never saw the Blogworld. This post has taken few potshots on some of the best people I have been with and I know that they won't mind this narration. Now that I am a little busy to write anything of significance this may act as filler. I do not know whether I will ever continue with the narration though. Year 2060: Banku and Bhootnath are sitting on a rooftop staring at the beautiful sky. The vast expanse of sky has them captivated when suddenly Banku is bugged by a childish curiosity. Banku: “Bhootnath, tell me how these stars are formed?” Bhootnath: (Obviously forgetting the reasons behind the formation of stars, fumbled to reply. You can not blame him. He is dead for 30 years and has not opened books since then. And tell me how many living people have any
The Institute: Another Home Dark clouds gathered and decided to show their strength to the sun. As the sky turned dark and wind and rain joined the coalition of clouds, our cab raced through the streets of Calcutta. The sun was overpowered and I and my brother prayed to reach our destination before the rain hits the accelerator button. That was two years ago and I was on my way to join one of the premier institutes in India for my postgraduate studies. I was in awe with everything associated with the institute. At the same time I was a bit nervous and perhaps petrified with the thought of matching the wits of some of the best brains in the country for two years. My brother, on contrary, was happy, excited and perhaps proud of the achievement of his brother. After the drive of about an hour my brother pointed out “Look we have arrived.”. There was a pang within me as I smiled and watched nervously at the board of the institute. As we entered through the gate, the two large lakes on eit
Ragging A bunch of new joinees… Aha… One would think – Some change in the overall appeal (We will not pass the judgement i.e. ‘good’ or ‘bad’ until we have a thorough analysis done on the ‘impact’ of the new change) of the Office. However, since morning the excitement which usually accompanies such events is missing. There is some visible change with multiple groups of colleagues coming down to have a look at the new bunch of ‘Fachchas/ Fachchis’ and some going out of their way to extend a warm welcome to them and still I think that the ‘Occasion’ could have been grander. This preconceived notion about such an event can be traced back to my background. As an Engineering student (especially in second year), you wait eagerly for the ‘New Arrivals’ (at least it used to be that way when I joined Engineering and I think there is no need to mention the reason behind such anticipation). The much dreaded ‘ragging’ (Am I politically incorrect in using this term?) period eventually tur