Skip to main content

Rehash of my Old Stories #2


Gift – Part 2

I was able to attract the attention of my fellow co-passengers with this single comment – they were all staring at me. The man sitting in the middle of the opposite berth was evidently more agitated. ‘What did you say?’ he demanded while rising angrily. His booming voice had attracted even more attention to the section in which we were seated. I could feel being a cast of the over the top soap operas which are bombarded on our idiot box throughout the day. 

‘I said she has a beautiful face and has a very bright future ahead.’ I replied calmly.
‘How dare you?’ he snarled. There was a growing murmur and I anticipated a rising support for the angry man and the beautiful lady. I had to do something and that too quickly.

‘I was just stating the facts. There was no malicious intention. She is beautiful’ I paused for a second as she turned crimson again ‘and as far as her future is concerned, she would redefine success. I can bet anyone of you on this.’

‘And how are you so sure of her future?’ asked the old man sitting on the side berth. The earpiece of his music player was now lying by his side as he became an intent participant of the entire drama. My words had brought the desired effect – simmering ‘mob fury’ had given way to a genuine curiosity.

‘I have been trained to do so. Have you heard of Pandit Rohit Sharma of Varanasi?’
‘The famous astrologer?’ asked a few.

‘Yes’ I replied ‘I am his son Mritunjay Sharma. When I commented on her future, I was not passing a general remark for fun. She definitely has a ‘Raj Yog’ but one cannot achieve one’s destination without following the path of ‘Karma’. I was trained by my late father. And I can tell a lot about her or for that matter anyone just by reading the face.’ I could sense a building excitement as the passengers from other seats started gathering around our section.

‘Well, then say something about her. Let us see if this is real.’ I clearly identified the tone of sarcasm associated with the comment. I looked at the challenger. He was a stout man with a balding head – he reminded me of the principal of my school. I passed a reassured smile at him before starting ‘Her name starts with G.’

‘Ah!! That anyone can tell by having a look at the reservation chart.’ said the man in the middle of the opposite berth who as I said was apparently a relative of the girl.    

‘Even I know her name. It is…’ came a voice from the crowd. Surely, he had also perfected the art of assimilating the information on the chart for ‘bird watching’. The girl shifted uncomfortably in her seat. Obviously, she did not want to be the part of this ‘game’.

‘I am not referring to ‘Geeta’… I am talking about her nickname… Is it Gudiya?’ I asked the girl.
Startled, she looked at her relative. Her face bore a mix of surprise and fear as she looked back at me. The face of her relative had turned pale. The gathering knew that I was correct.

‘You could have heard me calling her by that name.’ said the relative.

‘Well, I did not. But even if that is the case, then how do I know that she is in a government service… just joined probably in the rank of officer?’ I waited for the reaction. The duo sitting opposite me were startled and were growing uncomfortable while the crowd just loved it. I then added a punch ‘You have lost your dear ones in an accident some years back. Isn’t it true?’

There was a moment of disbelief on her beautiful face. ‘How do you know?’ she asked. This was the first time I noticed her voice. It had a certain musical quality in it. The crowd had more or less believed my claims and I could hear a few claps too.

However, before I could answer her, I was accused by her relative ‘He is a stalker. There is no way he could have known it otherwise.’ He yelled at the top of his voice.

‘No, I am not.’ I defended myself. ‘Every incident of your life leaves a mark on your existence and since face is the most expressive part of human body, it is etched there. One just needs to be trained to read those marks. Bring anyone in front of me and I would refute your claim that I am a stalker.’

The couple sitting next to me volunteered. I pointed out some instances from their lives which startled them. With their verification, I was vindicated. The gathering cheered with each of my observation regarding them. Mobiles were out of the pockets of few, who were clicking my photographs and a guy was even video recording the entire episode. I concluded a session with a few pointers to their future. Content that I have proved my point, I looked at the duo sitting opposite me. The man was still looking angry. The girl was a little pale, subdued and was looking at a magazine placed on her lap. I cursed myself for robbing the radiance from her face. 

I wanted to apologize but before I could say anything, I was flooded with the requests of fellow passengers who were eager to know their future. I have this problematic trait – I cannot say ‘no’. So it went on for next three hours in which I was analyzing future and suggesting remedies related to family problems, heart breaks, business deals, health related issues, aspirations and what not. In between there would be some enthusiast who would want my business card or even my autograph!!!

‘You should charge them for your services.’ suggested the man sitting next to me. His wife nodded in agreement.
‘Then I will have to charge you first.’ I said with a smile.
‘We are willing to pay you.’
‘No, No!! It is not my profession. I am an entrepreneur. It is just a coincidence that I was forced to use my training today.’

There was still some time to dinner when I got rid of people citing exhaustion. Though I was fatigued, there was a sense of satisfaction. I had placed an order for a vegetarian dinner from the pantry service though there were many tempting offers made by fellow co-passengers of sharing their dinner (which I refused politely). I was sitting with my eyes closed when I heard a gentle ‘excuse me’. I opened my eyes to identify that the voice belonged to the man sitting at the window seat of the opposite berth. ‘Yes?’ I asked.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Banku and Bhootnath Authorspeak: I was going through my old files when I came across this one. I had written it long back when I saw ‘Bhootnath’ and happily forgot about it. Thus, unfortunately it never saw the Blogworld. This post has taken few potshots on some of the best people I have been with and I know that they won't mind this narration. Now that I am a little busy to write anything of significance this may act as filler. I do not know whether I will ever continue with the narration though. Year 2060: Banku and Bhootnath are sitting on a rooftop staring at the beautiful sky. The vast expanse of sky has them captivated when suddenly Banku is bugged by a childish curiosity. Banku: “Bhootnath, tell me how these stars are formed?” Bhootnath: (Obviously forgetting the reasons behind the formation of stars, fumbled to reply. You can not blame him. He is dead for 30 years and has not opened books since then. And tell me how many living people have any
The Institute: Another Home Dark clouds gathered and decided to show their strength to the sun. As the sky turned dark and wind and rain joined the coalition of clouds, our cab raced through the streets of Calcutta. The sun was overpowered and I and my brother prayed to reach our destination before the rain hits the accelerator button. That was two years ago and I was on my way to join one of the premier institutes in India for my postgraduate studies. I was in awe with everything associated with the institute. At the same time I was a bit nervous and perhaps petrified with the thought of matching the wits of some of the best brains in the country for two years. My brother, on contrary, was happy, excited and perhaps proud of the achievement of his brother. After the drive of about an hour my brother pointed out “Look we have arrived.”. There was a pang within me as I smiled and watched nervously at the board of the institute. As we entered through the gate, the two large lakes on eit
Ragging A bunch of new joinees… Aha… One would think – Some change in the overall appeal (We will not pass the judgement i.e. ‘good’ or ‘bad’ until we have a thorough analysis done on the ‘impact’ of the new change) of the Office. However, since morning the excitement which usually accompanies such events is missing. There is some visible change with multiple groups of colleagues coming down to have a look at the new bunch of ‘Fachchas/ Fachchis’ and some going out of their way to extend a warm welcome to them and still I think that the ‘Occasion’ could have been grander. This preconceived notion about such an event can be traced back to my background. As an Engineering student (especially in second year), you wait eagerly for the ‘New Arrivals’ (at least it used to be that way when I joined Engineering and I think there is no need to mention the reason behind such anticipation). The much dreaded ‘ragging’ (Am I politically incorrect in using this term?) period eventually tur