Skip to main content

Rehash of my Old Stories #2


Gift – Part 3

‘I know you are tired but I was wondering if you could spare a few minutes of your time for me.’
‘Not a problem. Please tell me what do you want.’
The couple sitting next to me offered me the window seat so that I could sit closer to the man.
‘My name is Suresh. I am a native of Patna. I have seen that you have a great gift of God. I have lived a satisfactory life and I do not want to know anything about myself. I was just wondering if’
‘If I could tell something about the future of your adorable daughter?’ he was taken aback by this statement.

‘You truly have the blessings of the God.’
‘No, I don’t. I just saw it on the wedding card kept by your side. It’s clearly written in bold ‘Mamta Weds Prem’ and gives away your name ‘Suresh Singh’ as the bride’s father.’ I explained. ‘So, when you said that you do not want to know anything about yourself, I presumed it would be about your soon to be married daughter.’ My comments have made the duo sitting next to him to pay more attention to our conversation. Probably they saw it as an opportunity to nail me. Geeta had regained her composure and was looking like an angel. 

‘I cannot believe that whatever you did till now was just by observation.’ said Suresh.
‘It is not the case. Astrology is a science but observation plays an important role in perfecting it.’ I smiled. This answer would have disappointed the passengers sitting next to him. ‘Can you provide me with the date of birth of your daughter?’

After he gave me the information, I started making my own calculations. Predicting future from the date of birth is more like a mix of mathematics and statistics. There are many probable scenarios and you chose the one best aligned under a given set of conditions. And while I do not like either mathematics or statistics, I love this beautiful science of astrology. After making my calculations, whatever I divulged to Suresh had apparently pleased him.

‘Is it true?’
‘Absolutely. As I told you she will indeed have a very blissful life ahead. There would be some hurdles somewhere but what is life without facing some challenging situations.’ I commented.
‘What kind of difficulties?’
‘Do not worry for that. Just cherish that your daughter would lead a happy life.’
‘I was worried because…’
‘The bridegroom is of a different caste.’ I completed the sentence.
‘Yes. How do you…’
‘When I know the future of your daughter, will it be difficult for me to know this?’ I laughed. ‘Well, it was just a guess. The surnames of the two families mentioned on the card do not match. Thus, I hazarded this guess.’ He smiled at me.
‘You are smart.’
‘In my line of work, one has to be.’
‘What do you do?’
‘I am entrepreneur.’

We discussed a lot - From my business to his job to his daughter to my interests and what not.  The pantry service had delivered the dinner. I offered him something to eat.
‘I have my own Tiffin.’ He smiled at me.

And within few minutes, all of us were having our dinner together – me, Suresh, the couple sitting next to me and the old couple from the side berths. Surprisingly, Geeta and her companion joined us too. Her companion apologized to me – ‘I am sorry for my behaviour in the evening. Actually, I am very protective about her.’

‘It’s okay. It was not appropriate for me to pass that comment. Actually I was trying to impress her in my own ‘dehati’ way.’ I said mischievously.

The group laughed at my comment.
‘So whatever you told about my future is not true then.’ She asked.
‘It is true – provided you follow your own instincts.’

We had a good dinner. At the end of it, Suresh invited everyone to the wedding of his daughter.
‘Before starting this journey, I did not know any of you. But now I know. This dinner was more like having dinner with family. I know it would be asking a bit too much but if you could be present at my daughter’s wedding and bless her then she would be most fortunate. And especially you Mritunjay. I would like my people to meet you.’ He handed out cards to us which we accepted respectfully. It was an emotionally charged moment. 

‘This occasion demands for something sweet.’ I said.
‘Let the train halt at next station. I will buy sweets for all.’ said Suresh.
‘No need. I have a bag full of homemade laddus. Who loves ‘gond ke laddu?’’

All hands went up. I reached out for my bag and brought out a big container. I took out a laddu and placed it in Suresh’s mouth. Then I had one myself. The celebrations were probably a bit louder as we again had a gathering around our seats. 

‘I think we should distribute the laddus to the entire coach.’ I handed over the container to Suresh.
‘Let the train halt at next station. I will buy sweets for all of them. You keep this container or else all the laddus will vanish before you know.’

‘No problem. You can distribute them. My mother had sent them for some of my relatives in Varanasi. I will bring them these in my next trip. My work brings me to my native town quite frequently.’ After much insistence, Suresh accepted my offer. The laddus were distributed throughout the coach. Geeta and her companion were reluctant initially but finally caved in to the pressure of the fellow co-passengers. The celebrations went for some time before all settled for their sleep. I bid goodbye to each of them. I had to disembark at Varanasi and did not want to wake up anybody at that time. Everyone wished me luck – some took my mobile number for their reference. 

‘I would stay awake with you so that you do not get bored.’ offered Suresh.
‘No need. From tomorrow, you would have to work round the clock for your daughter’s wedding. You take rest. And I have my iPod to keep me busy.’
‘I will give you company. Anyway, I am a late sleeper.’ said Geeta’s companion. His name was Shashi. We talked randomly for about half an hour before he started dozing off. 
‘You better take rest.’ I advised ‘It’s only a matter of 2 more hours. I will manage.’

He was drawn to lady sleep almost immediately. Finally train approached Varanasi. Before leaving, I went to everyone in the coach and bid them goodbye while they were asleep. 

It was one of the most memorable journeys for me. It had been 28 hours since I left the train and still I was playing small incidents of that journey in mind. The professional trip had been highly successful and I have been praised by my peer group for my achievement.

‘You have made to the front page.’ My associate smiled while putting the morning paper on my desk.
‘Oh!! Have I?’ I feigned ignorance.
I looked at the newspaper. It was written in bold letters 

A Gift to Mamta

I read the details. An excerpt of that article is provided below:

“In what could be described as one of the most daring episodes of heist in recent memory, Raju Chor of ‘Nashakhurani Gang’ struck the Patna bound Saadharan Express late last night. It should be recalled that Raju Chor had challenged the newly appointed DGP of GRP Mr. Shashi Khurana when he vowed to end his menace on the trains passing through this zone. Raju in his challenge had said ‘Book your ticket in any of the train you want – you do not need to inform me. I will burglarize that train. And no I will not do that in hiding. I will come before you before I perform my task. Use all the security personnel you want.’ Interestingly, nothing has been stolen apart from the service revolvers of DGP Shashi and his colleague and niece Ms. Geeta Khurana. Raju has left two notes before he left the crime scene – One to a Mr. Suresh Singh from Patna and another to Ms. Geeta Khurana. In his note to Ms. Khurana, Raju has written ‘Follow your own instincts. You were right the first time. I was the man but you lost the plot once I turned on the heat. Trust your abilities and you will go places.’

In another interesting note left for Mr. Suresh Singh, Raju has wished Mamta (Mr. Singh’s daughter) a blissful married life. His note says - ‘Wishing you a very happy married life. And just to reemphasize – Your father loves you a lot.’ He has also left her a wedding gift – her horoscope which says ‘A Gift to Mamta’ and a Maa Bhawani’s locket.

Passengers of the coach B1 recall Raju to be a very affable and well mannered guy. He had apparently won over the passengers with the display of extraordinary skills in astrology. It is not known if Raju truly owns this ability. They also volunteered to share his photos and videos with us, which they have captured on their phones but all the data was found to be deleted…”

‘The DGP has sworn a revenge on you.’ said the stout balding man who had challenged me on train.
‘If that makes him happy then let him be.’ I chuckled.
‘Beware!! I have heard this is his first failure in such a long career.’
‘I will.’ I laughed at his suggestion.
‘I do not understand one thing. Why you did not let us rob this train? There was probably loot worth more than a crore on that coach.’
‘I do not know myself. I found myself too much attached with the passengers in this journey - Probably, because it was a very important journey for me too. And also because I was reminded of the dialogue from The Dark Knight – ‘Sometimes people deserve more. Sometimes people deserve to have their faith rewarded.’’ I passed a smile.
‘You will always remain filmy. So, when shall we plan for next loot?’
‘I think we should take a sabbatical for the time being.’
‘So has Raju Chor changed?’
‘You never know.’

Comments

Pratik said…
Awesome... very interesting!! Superb ending... Good work yet again...!!!
Pandey said…
Jhama jham kahani shaanu sir....n yes u don't need to ask ppl to read it in one go.....the story itself will make that sure
Kunal said…
Very nice read... nice ending... wouldn't have thought of such a turn in the story
Kunal said…
I would like to start with a quote from Ratatouille:
“In many ways, the work of a critic is easy. We risk very little, yet enjoy a position over those who offer up their work and their selves to our judgment. We thrive on negative criticism, which is fun to write and to read. But the bitter truth we critics must face is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so.”

I’d like to think of myself as a small time critic of Rahul’s work because I always begin my comments with negative criticism 
The Gift as Rahul puts it is a ‘long’ short story & for a major part of this story I didn’t understand where it was leading to… I kept thinking to myself, this looks like another ordinary description of one of those journeys that the Author would have undertaken… Those of you who know Rahul would agree that he has very elaborate descriptions of the simplest of things, which led me to believe that this could be another one of those descriptions of an uneventful journey
HOWEVER, NOTHING WAS GOING TO PREPARE ME FOR THE SUDDEN TURN OF EVENTS WITH THAT LAST BIT.
Yes, I did suspect that something was out of place when the central character declined an offer for food (That’s unlike Mr. Shanu… he would never in his right mind let his character refuse food... I mean he has a reputation to maintain)
The second bolt of lightning struck when the character starts to share food (WHAT!!!)
& I will just overlook the part where he enjoys the attention from Ms. Beautiful

All this seemed a little out of place, but the fact was that we were talking about a character not Rahul… therefore, I overlooked all of this… citing that this character is probably what Rahul aspires to be (I can only dream of a day when Rahul would say.. No thanks, I’ve had enough for today)

Jokes apart… when I started reading the article… I thought to myself… wow!!!!
This was a climax I wouldn’t have imagined… which made it very enjoyable… mark of a good writer
Tejash said…
Just one word for this "Awesome"
Anonymous said…
Superlike...
One of ur best blog so far...
nonewhatsoever said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kshitij said…
bahut acchhey!!!
I really enjoyed reading it, its was nice recollecting some of the bits that I had already read, and I think you have completed it really nicely. I don't have words to explain, but its amazing.

Always proud to know you.
Unknown said…
Fabulous..excellent ending rahul..the name of the story could have also been 'Raju ban gaya gentleman' :-)
Resurgence said…
@Pratik

Thank You Sir for your comment... The fact that you only comment on things that you like make this one special... :)
Resurgence said…
@Pandey Sir

Thank You Sir... Aapki uttsahwardhak tippaniyon ne hamein dhanya kiya... par jaisa ki aap andaaza lagaye the utne log blog par nahi aaye padhne ke liye... :)
Anonymous said…
ur 'long' short-story seemed short to me..!!
Sayan said…
Mind Boggling concept and plot culminating to the most unexpected and brilliant end...I am short of words...maybe that is the desired effect this story would have on most. Could have recovered from the awe and regained composure to leave a more appropriate comment...but I think this response would be "fresh and unadulterated:...Gr8 going Rahul bhai..you would always remain an inspiration for me..Hope to see you at the pinnacle of success soon..very soon!!!!! ALL THE BEST

Popular posts from this blog

Banku and Bhootnath Authorspeak: I was going through my old files when I came across this one. I had written it long back when I saw ‘Bhootnath’ and happily forgot about it. Thus, unfortunately it never saw the Blogworld. This post has taken few potshots on some of the best people I have been with and I know that they won't mind this narration. Now that I am a little busy to write anything of significance this may act as filler. I do not know whether I will ever continue with the narration though. Year 2060: Banku and Bhootnath are sitting on a rooftop staring at the beautiful sky. The vast expanse of sky has them captivated when suddenly Banku is bugged by a childish curiosity. Banku: “Bhootnath, tell me how these stars are formed?” Bhootnath: (Obviously forgetting the reasons behind the formation of stars, fumbled to reply. You can not blame him. He is dead for 30 years and has not opened books since then. And tell me how many living people have any
The Institute: Another Home Dark clouds gathered and decided to show their strength to the sun. As the sky turned dark and wind and rain joined the coalition of clouds, our cab raced through the streets of Calcutta. The sun was overpowered and I and my brother prayed to reach our destination before the rain hits the accelerator button. That was two years ago and I was on my way to join one of the premier institutes in India for my postgraduate studies. I was in awe with everything associated with the institute. At the same time I was a bit nervous and perhaps petrified with the thought of matching the wits of some of the best brains in the country for two years. My brother, on contrary, was happy, excited and perhaps proud of the achievement of his brother. After the drive of about an hour my brother pointed out “Look we have arrived.”. There was a pang within me as I smiled and watched nervously at the board of the institute. As we entered through the gate, the two large lakes on eit
Ragging A bunch of new joinees… Aha… One would think – Some change in the overall appeal (We will not pass the judgement i.e. ‘good’ or ‘bad’ until we have a thorough analysis done on the ‘impact’ of the new change) of the Office. However, since morning the excitement which usually accompanies such events is missing. There is some visible change with multiple groups of colleagues coming down to have a look at the new bunch of ‘Fachchas/ Fachchis’ and some going out of their way to extend a warm welcome to them and still I think that the ‘Occasion’ could have been grander. This preconceived notion about such an event can be traced back to my background. As an Engineering student (especially in second year), you wait eagerly for the ‘New Arrivals’ (at least it used to be that way when I joined Engineering and I think there is no need to mention the reason behind such anticipation). The much dreaded ‘ragging’ (Am I politically incorrect in using this term?) period eventually tur