Skip to main content

Airports Aur Hum

‘I’ll land at around 9 am. I think I’ll change at your place before proceeding to the meeting.’ I told my friend over phone.

‘When is your presentation?’

‘At 11 am.’

‘Dude… It is not a feasible idea. I would suggest you go directly to the meeting. I’ll pick you up once your session is over.’

‘What’s wrong with the idea? You are suggesting me to come geared in formals all the way from here.’

‘Do that. The Bangalore airport is far off from the city. It normally takes more than an hour to reach city from there. And you are not making things better for yourself by arriving at Office time. You would be lucky to start your presentation on time.’


His analysis was not far from accurate. The Bangalore airport is so far from the city that it almost appeared to be located in a different universe altogether. I was in Bangalore after a gap of 3 years – obviously this was my first tryst with the newly built Bangalore International Airport (operational from May 23rd 2008). To neutralize the effect of distance a 6 lane expressway has been built and frequent transportation to the airport is arranged. This comes with a premium price tag though – while the Volvo buses operated by Bangalore Metropolitan Transport Corporation (BMTC) charge you in the vicinity of Rs. 175 (I was charged Rs. 165 from HAL airport on my way back), the cabs can make your pockets lighter by Rs. 900 -1200. People may argue that the passengers who can afford air travel can easily shell out such an amount. May be but I doubt it. I have a feeling that a substantial proportion of air passengers, especially those travelling through the ‘low cost carriers’, feel the pinch of such a pricing mechanism. Availability of transportation only solves the issue of connectivity; the time to commute still remains a big headache. There are plans to have a high speed rail link but it still is many years away from realization (considering the present fate of ‘Metro’ project in the city).


One of the prime objectives of air travel is to facilitate speed. In a fast paced world if it takes nearly 2 hours to reach the Central Business District (CBD) of any city then it somehow undermines the importance of air travel. My friend has stopped taking flights to his hometown of Hyderabad form Bangalore – ‘It doesn’t make any sense. I now prefer Volvo buses to visit Hyderabad’, he says. Sometimes, the distance has other implications as well. On my way back, the flight got delayed by over 4 hours. I called my friend to inform him of the situation.

‘You want to come back.’

‘Naah… the travel will take more than 3 hours. It is better if I stay here and read some novel in the meantime.’ I said.

‘Good for you. I believe you have not read any novel in a long time.’

‘Thanks. I will take it as a consolation.’


Many of the new / upcoming Greenfield airport projects are facing this problem of accessibility. Eventually with the passage of time they are bound to come within the city limits but would that affect the travel time involved in the absence of an effective ‘Rapid Transportation System’. I acknowledge the many difficulties involved while selecting a suitable spot for such projects – foremost being the availability of the required land. Perhaps this is the reason why the present regime in Bihar is deliberating to shift the Patna airport to Bihta. Even the Airport Authority of India thinks that the place is suitable for the new Airport. Just for the information, the present airport at Patna has one of the riskiest runways in the country with the length of just about 6000 feet. Considering the factors of passenger safety and ever increasing air traffic, it is imperative to shift the airport. The only problem is that the current choice of location (Bihta) is approximately at a distance of 35 – 40 kms (As covered in some news reports) from the city.


I have some reservations based on the expected commuting time to this proposed airport. Further, Bihta is situated west of Patna while Patna is expected to grow towards east as well (as per the master plan). Thus, the distance to the airport from the other end of the growing city is expected to be substantial. If the decision makers have access to the master plan of the city, isn’t it possible for them to identify a suitable spot which is almost equidistant from the extreme limits of the future city? Further there would be a need to develop a rapid transit system to reduce the time of journey (to the airport as well as within the city limits). While the above observations are made keeping Patna in mind, I think these would hold true for many upcoming cities.

Comments

Hitesh Arora said…
To be honest, the way India's population is growing - no spot is an ideal spot for an airport's location (city will expand nonetheless). In this case, the best bet is to have a big airport on the outskirts (30-40km away subject to land availability) so that future capacity can all be planned.

However, the government ought to suitably start projects - airort and the connectivity to city - so that both begin operations simultaneously. Low cost airlines abroad which operate at non-major airports have benefitted because of connectivity from these airports to cities. such infrastructure can lead to rapid growth of aviation sector in India.

However, funding has always remained the problem. Unless you are an Ambani (creating a joint venture to build metro system for Mumbai) or your city is scheduled to hold next commonwealth games (OMG!!!)(delhi has taken metro upto the airport) - such projects seem nowhere in sight.

In case of bangalore, no rapid transistion system exists but the highway itself is good (takes 1 hr to reach city's center which is the same time as taken by Delhi metro from dwarka to CP. I hope the Guragon link when it becomes fully operational reduces time) - only the frequency of state transport needs to be increased so that the combined travel time doesn't pinch & commute time is kept to a reasonable limit.
biswarup said…
lekhak shanu
atik said…
Yaar i dont know y ppl want every thing at their doorstep. At least let them start the work of Bihta airport. I have been litsning since 15 years that Patna ap gona shift Bihta. But still there is no plan i can see. Only last news in last year in Aug 09 that AAI approved to shift patna ap to Bihta. I would like to bring attention those friend who r worried that Bihta is 35 km far from Patna city. My Friend u ll find most of the IA 25 t o 30 km far from city. Any how Bihta-sarmera road on progress so this distance will b max 30 km. And if u can count city as per master plan tha Patna to east than i would like to remine u that Patna city already touched in west till Danapur. So new airport will be muchh better option as bihta.. yaar in short any wehre in Bihar pls let them start a International airport.
Thanks & Regards
Atik - Dubai
atik20032000@yahoo.co.in
Anonymous said…
Sweet web site, I had not noticed rahulshanu.blogspot.com before in my searches!
Keep up the wonderful work!

Popular posts from this blog

Banku and Bhootnath Authorspeak: I was going through my old files when I came across this one. I had written it long back when I saw ‘Bhootnath’ and happily forgot about it. Thus, unfortunately it never saw the Blogworld. This post has taken few potshots on some of the best people I have been with and I know that they won't mind this narration. Now that I am a little busy to write anything of significance this may act as filler. I do not know whether I will ever continue with the narration though. Year 2060: Banku and Bhootnath are sitting on a rooftop staring at the beautiful sky. The vast expanse of sky has them captivated when suddenly Banku is bugged by a childish curiosity. Banku: “Bhootnath, tell me how these stars are formed?” Bhootnath: (Obviously forgetting the reasons behind the formation of stars, fumbled to reply. You can not blame him. He is dead for 30 years and has not opened books since then. And tell me how many living people have any
The Institute: Another Home Dark clouds gathered and decided to show their strength to the sun. As the sky turned dark and wind and rain joined the coalition of clouds, our cab raced through the streets of Calcutta. The sun was overpowered and I and my brother prayed to reach our destination before the rain hits the accelerator button. That was two years ago and I was on my way to join one of the premier institutes in India for my postgraduate studies. I was in awe with everything associated with the institute. At the same time I was a bit nervous and perhaps petrified with the thought of matching the wits of some of the best brains in the country for two years. My brother, on contrary, was happy, excited and perhaps proud of the achievement of his brother. After the drive of about an hour my brother pointed out “Look we have arrived.”. There was a pang within me as I smiled and watched nervously at the board of the institute. As we entered through the gate, the two large lakes on eit
Ragging A bunch of new joinees… Aha… One would think – Some change in the overall appeal (We will not pass the judgement i.e. ‘good’ or ‘bad’ until we have a thorough analysis done on the ‘impact’ of the new change) of the Office. However, since morning the excitement which usually accompanies such events is missing. There is some visible change with multiple groups of colleagues coming down to have a look at the new bunch of ‘Fachchas/ Fachchis’ and some going out of their way to extend a warm welcome to them and still I think that the ‘Occasion’ could have been grander. This preconceived notion about such an event can be traced back to my background. As an Engineering student (especially in second year), you wait eagerly for the ‘New Arrivals’ (at least it used to be that way when I joined Engineering and I think there is no need to mention the reason behind such anticipation). The much dreaded ‘ragging’ (Am I politically incorrect in using this term?) period eventually tur