Skip to main content
Avatar

I did not get time to write this before but I had to do it. My views on Avatar:

As the credits rolled, I asked the friend sitting next to me about his opinion on the movie. His simple response - ‘I am speechless’. The girls on my other side did not seem to consider leaving seats as one of the viable options as the movie came to an end. My friend asked my view – ‘Not the best cinema but certainly one of the best cinematic experiences ever’. This is the impact of the latest cinematic extravaganza of James Cameron – ‘Avatar’. If you ever wondered ‘Where the hell is James Cameron?’ (I have not seen the documentaries which he made after Titanic) then this movie provides a logical explanation. After all, creating anything new takes time – and here he has created an entire new world.

One of my friends who went to watch the film on my recommendation called me during interval. ‘What’s so special in this film? I do not find anything path breaking.’ – The guy had by mistake taken the ticket of the Hindi version in 2D (I am not suggesting it is not good in Hindi. I have not seen the Hindi version). And though at that point of time he was not able to appreciate the world created by James Cameron, he called me after the movie to express his happiness on watching the movie (He is watching it again this weekend – this time however in 3D). The movie does not boast of a path breaking storyline – it is the same ‘Good vs. Evil’ saga exploited in Hollywood and Bollywood umpteenth times. Yeah it is true – you will not find it much different than a Bollywood story in terms of flow – however the master craftsman (Cameron) paints the canvas with colours never seen before. You will fall in love with the planet ‘Pandora’- a world so beautiful that you wish it to exist in our times. The jungles and its inhabitants – the ‘indigenous’ Na’vi and other animals (magnificent horses, rhinos, dogs, dragons etc. like creatures) are designed with so much detail that you cannot keep your eyes off the screen for one moment. One has to salute the genius of Cameron and his team which dared to expand the limits of alternate reality. When the seeds of the revered trees fell on screen, you can feel them coming to you (in 3D) – it is a feeling you simply cannot describe; it creates a moment where you feel the return of innocence and possibly connect with the nature. And Cameron does not stop here – he gives you floating mountains with waterfalls, fluorescent plants and varied creatures.

And when there is so much ‘Good’ then how can the ‘Evil’ be left behind. As in most of the Hollywood film, this time also the Aliens are the ‘bad guys’ – the only difference is that this time it is the human race which is alien to the beautiful world of Pandora. US marines (Can someone explain to me why US has most tryst with the aliens) have set up their base in Pandora; their mission – to mine a rare mineral ‘unobtainium’ which is the key to solve the energy crisis on planet Earth in 2154 AD. The only problem is that the ‘indigenous’ Na’vis have their village (a large tree) located just on top of the largest pile of ‘unobtainium’. And the human race knows only one mantra – when diplomacy seems to fail then wipe out the problem through the use of force. Thus an army of well trained marines with advanced weapons march to wipe out the colony of bow-arrow wielding Na’vis. One of my friends who had seen the movie earlier than me had pointed out that the movie is a cross between ‘Terminator’ and ‘Jurassic Park’ (Advanced machines taking on dragon flying warriors gives the analogy).

Cameron stresses on the need of connecting with nature and laces the screenplay with many such moments where one feels to bond again with the nature. This is especially true in the background of recently concluded Copenhagen summit. This movie may well do what the world leaders failed to do- sensitize us over the need to reconnect with nature and preserve it. The beauty of nature was perhaps never present in such a breathtaking way before on silver screen (okay 3D screen).

Watch it and if you have access then preferably on a 3D screen. It is an experience which you will not want to miss.

Comments

merry xmas and a happy new year:)

am yet to watch it but good review.
Amrita~Ams said…
yet to watch the movie..
Happy Happy wala new year..
nacho...
aish karo..
:D:D:D

P.S: busy busy me ( sachi wala)..not getting tym to read ur blog..will read all the post...aftr getting free...
stack overflow hone se pehele..:)

P.P.S: baap re..my P.S stories are lengthy...
Anonymous said…
great post. I would love to follow you on twitter. By the way, did anyone hear that some chinese hacker had hacked twitter yesterday again.
Anonymous said…
Hello!
You may probably be very interested to know how one can make real money on investments.
There is no need to invest much at first.
You may begin earning with a sum that usually is spent
for daily food, that's 20-100 dollars.
I have been participating in one company's work for several years,
and I'm ready to share my secrets at my blog.

Please visit my pages and send me private message to get the info.

P.S. I earn 1000-2000 per daily now.

http://theinvestblog.com [url=http://theinvestblog.com]Online Investment Blog[/url]
Anonymous said…
I am able to make link exchange with HIGH pr pages on related keywords like [url=http://www.usainstantpayday.com]bad credit loans[/url] and other financial keywords.
My web page is www.usainstantpayday.com

If your page is important contact me.
please only good pages, wih PR>2 and related to financial keywords
Thanks
paiddiply
imrbhanu said…
wonderful review........no wonder u won goodies for this

btw who is this annonymous??
Anonymous said…
Things are going swimmingly.

Popular posts from this blog

Banku and Bhootnath Authorspeak: I was going through my old files when I came across this one. I had written it long back when I saw ‘Bhootnath’ and happily forgot about it. Thus, unfortunately it never saw the Blogworld. This post has taken few potshots on some of the best people I have been with and I know that they won't mind this narration. Now that I am a little busy to write anything of significance this may act as filler. I do not know whether I will ever continue with the narration though. Year 2060: Banku and Bhootnath are sitting on a rooftop staring at the beautiful sky. The vast expanse of sky has them captivated when suddenly Banku is bugged by a childish curiosity. Banku: “Bhootnath, tell me how these stars are formed?” Bhootnath: (Obviously forgetting the reasons behind the formation of stars, fumbled to reply. You can not blame him. He is dead for 30 years and has not opened books since then. And tell me how many living people have any
The Institute: Another Home Dark clouds gathered and decided to show their strength to the sun. As the sky turned dark and wind and rain joined the coalition of clouds, our cab raced through the streets of Calcutta. The sun was overpowered and I and my brother prayed to reach our destination before the rain hits the accelerator button. That was two years ago and I was on my way to join one of the premier institutes in India for my postgraduate studies. I was in awe with everything associated with the institute. At the same time I was a bit nervous and perhaps petrified with the thought of matching the wits of some of the best brains in the country for two years. My brother, on contrary, was happy, excited and perhaps proud of the achievement of his brother. After the drive of about an hour my brother pointed out “Look we have arrived.”. There was a pang within me as I smiled and watched nervously at the board of the institute. As we entered through the gate, the two large lakes on eit
Ragging A bunch of new joinees… Aha… One would think – Some change in the overall appeal (We will not pass the judgement i.e. ‘good’ or ‘bad’ until we have a thorough analysis done on the ‘impact’ of the new change) of the Office. However, since morning the excitement which usually accompanies such events is missing. There is some visible change with multiple groups of colleagues coming down to have a look at the new bunch of ‘Fachchas/ Fachchis’ and some going out of their way to extend a warm welcome to them and still I think that the ‘Occasion’ could have been grander. This preconceived notion about such an event can be traced back to my background. As an Engineering student (especially in second year), you wait eagerly for the ‘New Arrivals’ (at least it used to be that way when I joined Engineering and I think there is no need to mention the reason behind such anticipation). The much dreaded ‘ragging’ (Am I politically incorrect in using this term?) period eventually tur