Skip to main content

Last Sunday

Last Sunday, I woke up by the continuous ringing of the doorbell. I cursed the person at the door as I scuttled to find my T-shirt. I was within my rights to curse the person at the door anyways: after all that was Sunday morning, the only morning when I can catch up with my dreams. As I opened the door, I could barely keep my eyes open. I was expecting Rai ji, the caretaker of the building I live in, at the door since he has this nagging habit of pressing on the doorbell continuously but instead found out two Muslim youths there. How do I know of their identity? Simple: They were wearing their traditional headgear and the area I live in is dominated by the Muslim community. It is not hard to make that connection anyways. They had come to collect a donation for the orphanage they run. I asked them to wait and brought them some money. While preparing a receipt for the donation, they enquired about my name. When I told them so, I registered some surprise in their eyes before they moved on to normal conduct. As I was closing the door, I heard a sentence: “He actually gave the donation.” And this brought me to face the reality again: No matter how normal we try to act, there still remains a gap in our society which needs to be filled.

There is no need to emphasize on the fact that I could not sleep after that. It is a shame since it was only 9:30 am. However, there was much to do. I subscribe to 3 newspapers on Sunday mornings as it is the only day when I can read newspapers at my leisure. So, once I had grasped all the news and views from around the globe, I was ready for a hair-cut. Now, I am not a hunk and also do not boast of a lot of hairs on my head yet I have realized that long hairs make the matter worse for me. So, on a day when the holy month of Ramzan started and India celebrated Ganesh Chaturthi, I went for a hair-cut. Like most of the Salons in the cities, this too had a television which was tuned to a movie channel broadcasting ‘Bal Ganesha’. While half-way through my hair-cut I heard the familiar ‘Ganpati Bappa Morya, Mangal Murti Morya’ chant. A Muslim hair dresser was chanting this as the movie depicted some miracle of Lord Ganesha. How do I know of his identity? This time it is even simpler than last time: his name. It is always pleasant to know that despite many attempts of fundamentalists and radical elements in our society, the beautiful fabric which defines India and its idea of co-existence is still intact. However, there was more in store. I soon found that the man running the Salon is a Hindu and he asked a Muslim hair dresser to take a break and come only in the evening as that guy was observing Roja and hence would need some rest. This is the kind of understanding we need to take this country forward. When we start respecting the identity of our own people and start trusting each other, then there will be no need of worrying about the actions of some fanatics- they will die their own slow death.

P.S: Off late, I am getting less time to visit blog space as I am tied up with other things. Thus, neither I am regular with my posts nor I am timely replying to comments. The fact is that sometimes I am not able to comment on blogs which I visit. I think there is a need to feel sorry for all these. I am trying my best to manage both the worlds: the real and the blog. I hope I would be able to devote more time to the blog world in the near future.

Comments

:) the barber incident was nice :) ya it happens all the time but but its like we can still surge forward .

dont worry about not visiting b logs just keep coming with your posts . kabhi bhi.
Amrita~Ams said…
hmmmmm
haaaaaan...
it happens..

yes u shud be sry :P..
koi na ek toh I rarely post..n then too u not geting tym to visit my blog...hmphhh...:|.
btw..keep coming with your post...n tc
Amrita~Ams said…
manage both the world real and blog??
blog is virtual???:O:O...
Unknown said…
its good to hear that a muslim hair dresser chanted out "ganpati bappa..."
but something else needs to be looked at...
how often do we see a hindu do a muslim chant?
during pujas, papers run stories of muslims attending pujas...even donating...
great yaar!!! but is it an urge to conform to whats majority? i am not sure
just a passing thought....
these days we would call a girl modern, liberated...if we see her dressed in jeans.would say girls are equal to men...n all.
what would we say if a man dresses up in a skirt!!!
makes me wonder...
AbhiTaneja said…
Good yaar that you finding enough time to update your blog.. For me it has been long since I wrote some crap (well thats all I write, you know that :P)

And yes this time, for a change I read more than 60% of the post before writing this comment :)

btw i suggest you try and change the look and feel of the blog a bit.. being high contrast (due to black background) I genuinely struggle to keep focus on the content. Just a passing thought, as always.

Anyways keep up the good work and do visit barbers more often :P
Kunal said…
I think Ritwik makes an important point here.. Is it an urge to conform to whats majority???

or is it just that the minority is a little more tolerant to whats majority.. how often we kind of accuse this small section of the society for not being tolerant.. however such instances kind of force you to think.. haven't they been more tolerant of us than we have been of them
Resurgence said…
@I'll try 2 be truthful
Gal... yeah we try to move forward but I think that there may be a need for more concerted effort to bring this element to the forefront of our day to day life... :)... and haan I will try to be as regular as possible with my posts and comments... :)
Resurgence said…
@Sougata
Bhai... I know that this may not be in line with your viewpoint lekin 'Mahatma' kehkar mazak mat udao... :)
Resurgence said…
@Amrita~Ams
Lazy Billi... :)... haan Blog world is a kind of virtual space... If u want me to elaborate on that I can come up with a post on it... Aur ghabra mat since U write so rarely ... I will have enough time to comment on each of ur post... :)
Resurgence said…
@Ritwik
Dude... u raised a very valid point... and as promised I'll try to come up with a post to address that query... :)
Resurgence said…
@Taneja
Bhai... U r d god of Blog aur tu aise bol raha hai... waise suggestion taken... ek-do aur doston ne bhi yehi kaha hai... par tera kehna main kaise taal sakta hoon.... u r my technical guru.... :)

Will change the background... :)
Resurgence said…
@Kunal
Bhai... thnx for supporting the pertinent issue raised by Ritwik... will come up with a post trying to address this issue shortly... :)

Popular posts from this blog

Banku and Bhootnath Authorspeak: I was going through my old files when I came across this one. I had written it long back when I saw ‘Bhootnath’ and happily forgot about it. Thus, unfortunately it never saw the Blogworld. This post has taken few potshots on some of the best people I have been with and I know that they won't mind this narration. Now that I am a little busy to write anything of significance this may act as filler. I do not know whether I will ever continue with the narration though. Year 2060: Banku and Bhootnath are sitting on a rooftop staring at the beautiful sky. The vast expanse of sky has them captivated when suddenly Banku is bugged by a childish curiosity. Banku: “Bhootnath, tell me how these stars are formed?” Bhootnath: (Obviously forgetting the reasons behind the formation of stars, fumbled to reply. You can not blame him. He is dead for 30 years and has not opened books since then. And tell me how many living people have any
The Institute: Another Home Dark clouds gathered and decided to show their strength to the sun. As the sky turned dark and wind and rain joined the coalition of clouds, our cab raced through the streets of Calcutta. The sun was overpowered and I and my brother prayed to reach our destination before the rain hits the accelerator button. That was two years ago and I was on my way to join one of the premier institutes in India for my postgraduate studies. I was in awe with everything associated with the institute. At the same time I was a bit nervous and perhaps petrified with the thought of matching the wits of some of the best brains in the country for two years. My brother, on contrary, was happy, excited and perhaps proud of the achievement of his brother. After the drive of about an hour my brother pointed out “Look we have arrived.”. There was a pang within me as I smiled and watched nervously at the board of the institute. As we entered through the gate, the two large lakes on eit
Ragging A bunch of new joinees… Aha… One would think – Some change in the overall appeal (We will not pass the judgement i.e. ‘good’ or ‘bad’ until we have a thorough analysis done on the ‘impact’ of the new change) of the Office. However, since morning the excitement which usually accompanies such events is missing. There is some visible change with multiple groups of colleagues coming down to have a look at the new bunch of ‘Fachchas/ Fachchis’ and some going out of their way to extend a warm welcome to them and still I think that the ‘Occasion’ could have been grander. This preconceived notion about such an event can be traced back to my background. As an Engineering student (especially in second year), you wait eagerly for the ‘New Arrivals’ (at least it used to be that way when I joined Engineering and I think there is no need to mention the reason behind such anticipation). The much dreaded ‘ragging’ (Am I politically incorrect in using this term?) period eventually tur