Skip to main content
A Work of Boredom
“What do you want dear Vatsa?” The voice had a mythological serial like feel to it.
“Who is this?” I asked as I opened my eyes.
“Well I am not very sure of the grammar you used. But then the English grammar has defied all the logics with which I created this world. It must have been an anomaly and I can not change the codes now to rectify it.”
“Who are you? And where are you? And what rubbish are you talking?”
“Well again I do not see the need of two Ands in the sentences you spoke. Anyhow to answer your questions- I am God. You can not see me because I am God and you are human and hence you do not have the privileged access to view my image in this dimension. To answer your third question” and I suddenly felt a tight slap on my face before I heard these lines “You do not talk disrespectfully to God. I was introspecting on my design of this world when you disrupted my thought process. And to make it worse you labeled the entire thought process as rubbish.”
“Sorry God. I would not have used such unparliamentarily language had I known of your presence. I am sorry for that.”
“Don’t give me ‘less’ arguments. Haven’t you been taught that I am present everywhere? But this is not entirely your fault. Your generation is influenced by your leaders when it comes to languages. It is the harm of watching news channels instead of reading literary works of geniuses.”
“Well, it is not entirely true. I have read Harry Potter and am impressed by the series. I have even read Archie and Hardy Boys. I do follow literary work.”
“Well, I am not here to argue with you. I do not have time for such things. I will proceed as per planned. I am here to grant you your wish.”
“Really?”
“Yes.”
“But why? I mean that what made you take this decision?”
“Nothing. You are the winner of lucky draw of last week. It is just your luck.”
“Lucky draw?”
“Well, there was an age when people use to do ‘Tapasya’ to get their wish fulfilled. It was fun for me. Since that tradition has long been forgotten, I introduced the concept of lucky draw to ensure that I have the pleasure of granting wishes of people.”
“Very well. What do I need to do for this wish to be granted?”
“Just spell it out.”
“I do not want to work in office. They just load me with tonnes of bullshit work and I do not have the time to enjoy my personal life. I slog for more than 14 hours everyday for nothing.”
“Are you sure of this? Lock kar diya jaye?”
“Sure. Please also make sure that my boss does not notice my existence and does not come near my place anytime.”
“Agreed. Your wish is granted. From tomorrow onwards, no work will be assigned to you. Live happily Vatsa.”

That was yesterday. God granted me my wish. I have got no work today and I am frustrated sitting idle. I should have asked for a better distribution of work than asking for no work. I think my parents were right when they taught me not to run away from work and duties. “Never ever wish to have no work. Right kind of work gives direction to life.”

Comments

u could have watched a movie perhaps??


and still get bored :)
hehe wow what a suggestion. truthful has killer Ideas :) . Seriously yaar u need a break. Go to the coney island :D .

Popular posts from this blog

Dil Chhata Hai Author Speak: The credit to the title goes to my colleague and friend Sayan. Also, let me warn you at the very beginning that things can go horribly wrong in this small piece of ‘art’ – after all this is my first attempt to narrate a tale of love. The narration is based on real events with suitable changes to cater to the tastes of targeted audience. It is amazing what nature can do to the feelings and emotions of people. And weather plays an important role in this ‘buzzing business’ of nature. Cinema (especially Indian cinema) has exploited this particular aspect of nature very well. Thus there is a thunderstorm with lightening in the background when the hero is angry (or for that matter when Bhisma is taking his ‘famous’ oath) and dark clouds generally refers to something bad which is going to occur (Hollywood has mastered this art with its Sci-fi movies) and sunlight coming out amidst cloud shows ray of hope. Also a winter (with snowy weather) generally refers to the...
The Institute: Another Home Dark clouds gathered and decided to show their strength to the sun. As the sky turned dark and wind and rain joined the coalition of clouds, our cab raced through the streets of Calcutta. The sun was overpowered and I and my brother prayed to reach our destination before the rain hits the accelerator button. That was two years ago and I was on my way to join one of the premier institutes in India for my postgraduate studies. I was in awe with everything associated with the institute. At the same time I was a bit nervous and perhaps petrified with the thought of matching the wits of some of the best brains in the country for two years. My brother, on contrary, was happy, excited and perhaps proud of the achievement of his brother. After the drive of about an hour my brother pointed out “Look we have arrived.”. There was a pang within me as I smiled and watched nervously at the board of the institute. As we entered through the gate, the two large lakes on eit...
Films of 2008 Part I: My top 10 Some films listed here may not be of Indian origin/ production but are relevant in Indian context. The ordering is in no particular order. You may rearrange them according to your preferences. A Wednesday: This film vents out the frustration of ‘Common Man’. Pitted against each other the two stalwarts of Indian film Industry, Naseeruddin Shah and Anupam Kher elevated the movie multifold. Jimmy Shergil shined in a brief role. First time director Neeraj Pandey, weaved an interesting tale into an engaging screenplay. The film had its share of flaws but it was able to highlight the message it wanted to deliver. Jodha Akbar: A magnum opus which could have been a classic was reduced to an above average cinematic experience by the dragging and long screenplay. But the movie had its moments. The sheer chemistry between the lead pair made the love story engaging and endearing. The opulent sets and clothes brought the desired period look. A R Rahma...