Skip to main content
Lessons from Monkeys

I know that I have been away from the ‘blogworld’ for quite some time. Believe me it is not a deliberate break (At this time I do not need break to search for peace or to bring things in order in my messy life). After I graduated, I went for a tour to J&K and then immediately joined my current work place which is giving me very little time to write anything. But I hope that I will continue to contribute to blogworld in my own little way.
A couple of days back, on my way to office, I spotted two ‘Madaris’ (I do not want to bring in some ‘effect’ by using this word. I used this terminology because I do not know the English of ‘Madari’; I have put tremendous pressure on my Grey Cells but the English database present there seems to be considerably small to help the matters; The fact that none of the people, whom I have asked this question, seem to know the answer is the only consolation point that has emerged out of this crisis). For the benefit of those who took Hindi lessons casually or are completely unaccustomed to this language I will try to explain the meaning of this word. ‘Madari’ is a person who captures and trains monkeys and then performs street shows with them.

Those two ‘Madaris’ were sharing the responsibilities of carrying four monkeys amongst themselves. One was guiding the way for two grown up mature monkeys while the other was handling two ‘new kids in the block’. However, what struck me at that time was the difference in the behaviour of the two sets of monkeys. The grown, mature ones were simply following the lead of the ‘Madari’ without resistance as if they knew their fate (It could be that either they had resigned to their fate or were convinced of ‘this’ way of life). On the contrary the young ones were restless: they were trying to climb the trees and were constantly in look out for new things (I might have said they were looking for an opportunity to break free from the control of the ‘Madari’ but that did not seem possible to me at that point of time. Any how that Madari had some really tough time). I was taken aback by the similarity between their behaviour and ours (Though I do not want to generalize things). I have seen men (and of course women) of vibrant energy, ideas and zeal losing to the ‘set ways of life’. People who want to bring in ‘good changes’ in world often find it difficult to swim against the tide and finally accept the set norms of the society and live in peace (I do not know for sure. I think they remain in conflict with themselves throughout their lives). Stagnancy creeps into the lives of millions of people like these (almost like the life of the matured, grown up monkeys).

However, I believe, that most of us who have just started their career (or are still studying) belong to the category of ‘young and the restless’ who wants to explore new things, introduce new ideas and strive for making this world a better place. I think it is important that this zeal should remain with us throughout because though the ‘right intention’ is always the first step towards achieving something, we can complete that journey only with right direction and methods. Thus there will be times when we will have to wait till we become capable to bring about that change (in our life, society or any other dimension of our existence). And it is important that at that point of time we have not lost to the ‘set ways of life’ and have the zeal to pursue our conviction. I do not know if I make sense through this but something inside me tells that if those young monkeys continue looking for a route to escape, they will eventually succeed in setting themselves free from the ‘control’ of those Madaris.

Comments

Amrita~Ams said…
oo i belong to the "young and the restless" category of monkeys :D...
at least some one is comparing me with sumthing :|

well i am not a mature blogger like you..but i do feel when things dont work the way u want..to get into the mature monkey category..
joie de vivre said…
Monkey are our ancestors :)
'bandar nach' is what i used to call it. and yeah i hope too that the new breed remains young and restless forever. if only.

ps: can u please tell me if all of them return back to the island in LOST? and are the rest really dead?
Resurgence said…
@Amrita~Ams
Gal... good that you realized the truth.... though it came after some provocation but truth at last.... :):D

Yaar kuch mature vature ka nahi pata... but I think it is time we start thinking of some ways in which we can make this world a better place.. :)
Resurgence said…
@Sougata
Bhai..... Thanks for :).... And sorry for not being quick to respond..... :)
Resurgence said…
@joiedevivre
Gal... Even I thought of the same while writing the post and had thought of using it in it.... but dropped the idea later.... :)
Resurgence said…
@I'll try 2 be truthful
Gal... Yeah even I hope so... :)

and as far as LOST is concerned if I tell you these then there would be no fun watching the series anymore... Just wait and watch or even better get the downloaded episodes from some of ur friends... I'm sure many of ur friends would have it.... :)

Popular posts from this blog

Banku and Bhootnath Authorspeak: I was going through my old files when I came across this one. I had written it long back when I saw ‘Bhootnath’ and happily forgot about it. Thus, unfortunately it never saw the Blogworld. This post has taken few potshots on some of the best people I have been with and I know that they won't mind this narration. Now that I am a little busy to write anything of significance this may act as filler. I do not know whether I will ever continue with the narration though. Year 2060: Banku and Bhootnath are sitting on a rooftop staring at the beautiful sky. The vast expanse of sky has them captivated when suddenly Banku is bugged by a childish curiosity. Banku: “Bhootnath, tell me how these stars are formed?” Bhootnath: (Obviously forgetting the reasons behind the formation of stars, fumbled to reply. You can not blame him. He is dead for 30 years and has not opened books since then. And tell me how many living people have any
The Institute: Another Home Dark clouds gathered and decided to show their strength to the sun. As the sky turned dark and wind and rain joined the coalition of clouds, our cab raced through the streets of Calcutta. The sun was overpowered and I and my brother prayed to reach our destination before the rain hits the accelerator button. That was two years ago and I was on my way to join one of the premier institutes in India for my postgraduate studies. I was in awe with everything associated with the institute. At the same time I was a bit nervous and perhaps petrified with the thought of matching the wits of some of the best brains in the country for two years. My brother, on contrary, was happy, excited and perhaps proud of the achievement of his brother. After the drive of about an hour my brother pointed out “Look we have arrived.”. There was a pang within me as I smiled and watched nervously at the board of the institute. As we entered through the gate, the two large lakes on eit
Ragging A bunch of new joinees… Aha… One would think – Some change in the overall appeal (We will not pass the judgement i.e. ‘good’ or ‘bad’ until we have a thorough analysis done on the ‘impact’ of the new change) of the Office. However, since morning the excitement which usually accompanies such events is missing. There is some visible change with multiple groups of colleagues coming down to have a look at the new bunch of ‘Fachchas/ Fachchis’ and some going out of their way to extend a warm welcome to them and still I think that the ‘Occasion’ could have been grander. This preconceived notion about such an event can be traced back to my background. As an Engineering student (especially in second year), you wait eagerly for the ‘New Arrivals’ (at least it used to be that way when I joined Engineering and I think there is no need to mention the reason behind such anticipation). The much dreaded ‘ragging’ (Am I politically incorrect in using this term?) period eventually tur