Skip to main content

A Day


Yesterday was an eventful day. And no it is not just because the ‘Slumdog Millionaire’ won 10 nominations for the Academy Awards. What will be your reaction when you are woken up by an alarm when you felt that you have hardly slept for an hour? You would most probably switch the alarm off and go back to sleep. I did the same. Only that I know myself better and had a complicated alarm structure in place which was capable enough to wake even the mighty ‘Kumbhakaran’(If you are not sure who he is, please energize the Indian mythology section of your memory). So I woke up at 10 am and I had not slept for an hour, I had slept for 3. I looked at the newspapers at my door which had some news about the Satyam saga (I think Raju would have done a fabulous job had he been a novelist or a scriptwriter) and then I put it to the rack. My laptop was waiting to show me that I had to revise 12 presentations (Not that I remembered the contents of any). And so I started the endeavour to conquer the ‘knowledge’ hidden in those presentations. However that earnestness faded soon to give way to that amazing feeling which only comes when you are towards the end of your college life (I am going to miss this life and this institute). And so I went ahead to give the final ‘mid-term’ of my academic career (I hope so) without giving final touches to my preparation (as if there was any). Exams are easier for two categories of our species: One who has prepared well and knows almost all the answers and the other who has not prepared at all and thus has no expectations from it. However there is a third category: People who have prepared slightly and have slight inklings to almost all the questions but do not have answers to any. Yesterday I fell into this category and had to sweat a lot in order to fill in the sheets to meet the minimum necessities required to fall into the bracket of ‘successful’ examinee (The connotation is slightly different here: It means those who have not failed). However, once I was out of the exam hall there was a feeling of satisfaction which comes only after the knowledge that you are only one step away from getting your degree (That is a big hurdle though. The end term will have a paper which is most dreaded of all). So as I returned with a smile on my face, I also felt sad because in all probability I will have to leave this beautiful and lively place soon (Unless I fail!!!!).


As I reached my room I found two of my friends waiting for me. They had to scan a document. My printer-cum-scanner has lived a long and dignified life mainly because it has helped a lot of guys in distress (Here goes a lesson from my scanner. If you can help, then help others. Do not crib like its owner). So there I was entering in my room with my friends only to find that the plug point to which the device was connected does not have power at that point of time. So I had to remove it to connect it to other plug point when I witnessed a miracle. Underneath its modest structure, smiling at me, I found my long lost spectacles. It was a miracle on two accounts: One I found it after almost a month and two it remained beneath that structure all this time without even a scratch. I was jubilant. My friends demanded a party. I would have granted them their wish but for the fact, that like most of us I am also facing the ‘recession’. During the time in which my spectacles evaded me, I resisted the temptation of buying a new one despite of the repeated pressures from all quarters (Read friends and parents). It was not for the love of my spectacles (Though I really liked it) but for the reason that my brother had informed me that once he found his spectacles after a month. So clinging on this hope I refrained from buying new spectacles (Who would invest more than 2000 bucks when you have more urgent matters like buying a new hard disk?).


The third news which made me happy was the fact that Slumdog was actually nominated for 10 academy awards (Not that I agree with the jury. I don’t think it has merit to grab 10 nominations. You are welcome to disagree with me). However the news that Rahman has got 3 nominations was the cherry on the top. So I along with my friends discussed the likely winners which we can expect from the movie. Then came a message from my brother that the new season for one of my favourite series has started and the episode is up for grab. Needless to say, that I watched the episode with much interest and enthusiasm. It did not disappoint me. On the contrary, if I phrase it in the wordings of one of my friends, the episode was ‘awesome’. And to end the day I watched a fabulously told real life story in the form of a docu-drama ‘Man on Wire’. If you ever get a copy of it, do make it a point to watch it. It is an engaging watch and tells the story of human spirit. As I moved into the next day (the clock showed beyond midnight), I spent the next few hours discussing academic topics with my friends who still had their papers left. However with five good experiences in a single day I would hardly complain of the date 22.01.2009.


P.S: I came to know recently that the college, from which I did my Higher Secondary, has moved into its 150th year. I would try to write something about my life during that phase (If time permits).

Comments

Priya Joyce said…
hey tats gr88 news abt the film

then congrattz for the spects u found after a long tym

and wow! tats another gr88 news 150 yrs cool!
lony said…
Man On Wire - one from which I started this year's award nominees. :)
And I am wondering about which series you are talking about.

I got inspired from you to not buy new specs (though mine are little damaged) I was planning to get on. As u put, who in their right mind can spend on them when their are more important things like HDD are to bought.
finding back your old specs is almost like finding back an old friend. :)

good post & I don't disagree with you on slumdog M. (saw it today)

*(Here goes a lesson from my scanner. If you can help, then help others. Do not crib like its owner)*

:) :) :)
Resurgence said…
@Priya
Good to see you Gal...... and yeah it is very special occasion for all those associated with the film.... and for all Indians there is Rahman and Resul and Gulzar and Maya to cheer about...... :)

Finding that spects was really a special feeling and haan I feel proud that my ex-institute has covered such a long journey... :)

Njoy the life gal.... whatever be the circumstances.... :)
Resurgence said…
@Rookie
Read your review on 'Man on Wire' and completely agree that the climax fails to justify such a good build up

And the series my friend is 'LOST'. It started with a bang in the new season... left to be seen if they can maintain the momentum

And abt the hard disk... in the time of recession you need to prioritize things.. :)
Resurgence said…
@I'll try 2 be truthful
Gal...... can't agree more with you on the spects things... :)

And so you watched Slumdog... How would you rate the movie... :)

Regarding the scanner comment... It is my duty that people take something good from my post.... after all I'm a responsible citizen... :) :D
wah u seem to be in a good mood. :)
yaar slumdog millionaire was kinda OK ( plz don't kill me for that)

I don't think the love story was fully developed. i mean chunnu mummu ke time wale friends bade hoke aise serious lovers hote hai kya ? and some of the dialogues were pretty * heard somewhere before* .

& U know what i really thought after watching it ? " if this can go for the oscars even shootout at lokhandwala should've been dubbed in english and sent there" crass and long comment this was .
OH and that was LOST ??? :( people like me have to wait for star movies :( :( . don't tell me whether they do really get out of the island ? :P
Amrita~Ams said…
congs for ur finding spects again..
n on slumdog..case even i feel the same..
over hyped
Resurgence said…
@I'll try 2 be truthful
Gal... I will not kill you for your views on Slumdog..... even I do not find it a worthy candidate of 10 oscar nomination but please do not compare the same with crass like 'Lokhandwala'...... :)

As far as LOST is considered I have seen season 5 episode 2.... seems that you have a lot to catch up... :)
Resurgence said…
@Amrita~Ams
Thanks Gal...... Haan the movie is hyped but who says that Oscars are fair awards?........ :)
AMIT said…
Its nice that this movie won the award.

Meridian real estate

Popular posts from this blog

Banku and Bhootnath Authorspeak: I was going through my old files when I came across this one. I had written it long back when I saw ‘Bhootnath’ and happily forgot about it. Thus, unfortunately it never saw the Blogworld. This post has taken few potshots on some of the best people I have been with and I know that they won't mind this narration. Now that I am a little busy to write anything of significance this may act as filler. I do not know whether I will ever continue with the narration though. Year 2060: Banku and Bhootnath are sitting on a rooftop staring at the beautiful sky. The vast expanse of sky has them captivated when suddenly Banku is bugged by a childish curiosity. Banku: “Bhootnath, tell me how these stars are formed?” Bhootnath: (Obviously forgetting the reasons behind the formation of stars, fumbled to reply. You can not blame him. He is dead for 30 years and has not opened books since then. And tell me how many living people have any
The Institute: Another Home Dark clouds gathered and decided to show their strength to the sun. As the sky turned dark and wind and rain joined the coalition of clouds, our cab raced through the streets of Calcutta. The sun was overpowered and I and my brother prayed to reach our destination before the rain hits the accelerator button. That was two years ago and I was on my way to join one of the premier institutes in India for my postgraduate studies. I was in awe with everything associated with the institute. At the same time I was a bit nervous and perhaps petrified with the thought of matching the wits of some of the best brains in the country for two years. My brother, on contrary, was happy, excited and perhaps proud of the achievement of his brother. After the drive of about an hour my brother pointed out “Look we have arrived.”. There was a pang within me as I smiled and watched nervously at the board of the institute. As we entered through the gate, the two large lakes on eit
Ragging A bunch of new joinees… Aha… One would think – Some change in the overall appeal (We will not pass the judgement i.e. ‘good’ or ‘bad’ until we have a thorough analysis done on the ‘impact’ of the new change) of the Office. However, since morning the excitement which usually accompanies such events is missing. There is some visible change with multiple groups of colleagues coming down to have a look at the new bunch of ‘Fachchas/ Fachchis’ and some going out of their way to extend a warm welcome to them and still I think that the ‘Occasion’ could have been grander. This preconceived notion about such an event can be traced back to my background. As an Engineering student (especially in second year), you wait eagerly for the ‘New Arrivals’ (at least it used to be that way when I joined Engineering and I think there is no need to mention the reason behind such anticipation). The much dreaded ‘ragging’ (Am I politically incorrect in using this term?) period eventually tur