Skip to main content
Arbit Bakar on Republic Day

Authorspeak: The ‘Cribbing’ post. However these are some of many issues that crossed my mind today and as the title suggest these are all random (For those who do not know, ‘arbit’ is an expression for ‘random’ in our institution). So if you find the post incoherent do not say that I did not warn you.

I was forced out of the deep slumber by the constant ringing of my phone. ‘God damn! Why did I put it on ring mode?’ I asked myself this simple question while moving off from my bed to get to the phone. It was from my friend reminding me of an important work that I had to do in the evening. I checked the time. It was 9:30 am. I had missed the republic day celebration by half an hour. ‘So, no point remaining awake’ I thought as I dozed off again. I woke up exactly an hour later due to the ‘door-banging session’ which only my friends could perform. I can’t blame them though: I use the same against them.

‘What?’ I asked as I opened the door.
‘You missed the Republic Day celebration.’
‘So, what’s new? After class X, I have not attended any of these celebrations.’
‘You should. At least show that respect to your motherland.’
‘I love my country. That love would not diminish if I do not attend some function. And any ways how does it matter? More than half of the educated people do not know the difference between a republic and a democracy.’
‘And who told you that?’

‘Experience. If you do not believe me, conduct a market research instead. You are likely to get interesting answers. I’ll tell you an incident. When we were preparing for our placements in our undergrad we decided to have GD sessions. We met only once and that shows the limit of our enthusiasm. However during that GD session I gave the topic to one of the groups on ‘India as a republic’. They talked for full 15 minutes on democracy. Agreed these words are used interchangeably but at least we, the so-called educated of the society, should know the difference.’

For all those who are still a bit confused about republic and democracy, I am pasting the first line of an article on the difference between republic and democracy.

‘By definition, a republic is a political unit governed by a charter, while a democracy is a government whose prevailing force is always that of the majority.’ (Of course, if one searches the net many articles would explain the differences in detail)

However moving back to the point from where I digressed. We conversed a lot on many issues when the topic came back to the speeches given in the republic day function.

‘There were some very good speeches. The one from our elected representative, when he talked about our social responsibilities and our role in bridging the social divide in our country, stood out though.’ My friend was visibly impressed by the speech. He went on to explain it in detail.
‘Tell me one thing. We all are aware of our responsibilities. Aren’t we? But we will only pass the test of this responsibility only when we will be able to contribute to society in a positive way. And that is a tough ask in today’s materialistic world.’

Sometimes, I feel that there is a silent revolution taking place in our times that will restructure the society we live in. At others, my faith in that process is shaken when I find that even the educated youths engage in caste, religion, dowry etc. And what about the social divide? We witnessed an outrage on ‘Mumbai 26/11’. All celebrities, politicians and the general people united in that time of crisis. We bloggers did our part. There were many homage posts, outcry posts, hate posts and posts on what not. I wish I could have seen similar reactions when a band of 200- 300 naxalites ambushes 20 odd policemen in Chhattisgarh or Bihar or Jharkhand or Andhra Pradesh. Aren’t those policemen doing their duty and are dying valiantly while fighting a losing battle? Why isn’t there a public outcry to provide them with modern arms so that they could perform their duties well? Why I am writing this? I do not know. It may be because I feel that instead of ‘only’ expressing our views we can play a more significant role in this slow transformation of our society. And if we do not wish to play a part then in all probability we do not have the right to criticize the portrayal of India in ‘Slumdog Millionaire’ (Even though it subtly caters to the old western mindset of India) because even though we are progressing, still a large part of our population is deprived of its benefit. And when we will be able to realize this truth then maybe we will be able to apply our abilities well in contributing to the society.

As I was writing all these my mind was occupied with many issues. The first came from an article which I read yesterday. It focused on the recent slump in the placements across institutions in India and suggested that the products of these institutions (Especially from the ones engaged in imparting Higher Education) should act as job creators rather than job seekers. I principally agree with the idea. However, the truth is that most of the students take heavy loans in order to pursue their graduate studies and have to repay those loans. Thus the reluctance to take up entrepreneurial ventures stem out of many reasons which the author failed to highlight.

The second issue which concerned me was the attack on a Mangalore pub by a ‘self proclaimed savior of Indian culture’ group Ram Sena. What was worse that they beat women in the pub. Have we really progressed? And if this drive was against ‘obscenity’ then what could be more obscene than poverty. Crores of women in India do not have access to dignified clothing. Why don’t these groups go and help them first? Because it will not give them chance to vandalize. Till when people in India will use vandalism as a mark of protest? Why do they fail to realize that these acts are affecting our own growth?

The third issue was Raaz: TMC. Now I know that this is a 360 degree turn from my previous cribs. But the truth is that Raaz is a big mess. With a decent first half, it could have been an engaging thriller. However, lack of imagination, creativity and sagging screenplay made this film as a ‘bakwaas’. And what was the need to directly lift scenes from ‘Ring’ series, Devil’s Advocate, Exorcist among others. It gave the feeling of been there seen that. Though the production value of this movie was far better than many horror flicks off late, one misses that spooky feeling. Don’t these filmmakers have interesting horror stories to tell? They should go back to villages and ‘valleys’ to fetch story ideas on supernatural phenomenon. They will get plenty from the folk-tales and legends there.

P.S: Wishing you all a very Happy Republic Day

Comments

Amrita~Ams said…
must say a nice post..
n happy republic day!

P.S: i know the diff betw democracy n republic :) :)
now i guess ur suggestion for me to go for MBA was rgt??? hehehe
I liked it and I feel it .
lony said…
I too know the difference between the Democracy and Republic. :)
Resurgence said…
@Amrita~Ams
Gal...... Nice to know that you know the difference..... and for pursuing MBA is there a need to know the diff? .... :) I bet many MBAs would struggle to come out with proper answer when asked about this... however the probability reduces with their preparation of GD/PI and related stuffs.... :)

And haan you could definitely go to pursue higher education in any field you want (Not only MBA)... If done from a good institute it adds value... that much I can assure you.... :)
Resurgence said…
@Sougata
Bhai... I knew that you would like it and haan it is certainly there in our heart.. may be one day we will address this concern/ feeling... :)
Resurgence said…
@Rookie
Dude this was expected from you.. If you would not have known it then I would have offered you a 'Grand' kick on ur butt... But the GD incident was shocking for me.... :)
:) wish u a belated republic day.

i was quite angry about the mangalore incident .

ps - did u really see raaz?? :O
saw a certain video on youtube :) nicely done hehehe
Resurgence said…
@I'll try 2 be truthful
And what video did u see gal? I don't have a fair idea as on youtube you could find the entire movie in 14 parts...... :).... I do watch it ... and thought till interval that it was a decent effort but second half was disappointing..
CSE 2002-2006 NIIT Hamirpur :)
Resurgence said…
@I'll try 2 be truthful
Tat was a fun video.... sole purpose to evoke nostalgic feelings in future... :)
Keshi said…
Happy Rep Day! :)

Keshi.
Resurgence said…
@Keshi
Same to you Gal.... :)
joie de vivre said…
democratic or republic...aahhaa
nicely written
Resurgence said…
@joiedevivre
Thanks Gal.... Can't be precise and to the point like you and so have to weave in too many words to put forth my point....... :)
Amrita~Ams said…
oye...moral up karne k liye thxs ;)
but i m planning to go for higher studie..bore ho gayi padh padh kar..:(

Popular posts from this blog

Banku and Bhootnath Authorspeak: I was going through my old files when I came across this one. I had written it long back when I saw ‘Bhootnath’ and happily forgot about it. Thus, unfortunately it never saw the Blogworld. This post has taken few potshots on some of the best people I have been with and I know that they won't mind this narration. Now that I am a little busy to write anything of significance this may act as filler. I do not know whether I will ever continue with the narration though. Year 2060: Banku and Bhootnath are sitting on a rooftop staring at the beautiful sky. The vast expanse of sky has them captivated when suddenly Banku is bugged by a childish curiosity. Banku: “Bhootnath, tell me how these stars are formed?” Bhootnath: (Obviously forgetting the reasons behind the formation of stars, fumbled to reply. You can not blame him. He is dead for 30 years and has not opened books since then. And tell me how many living people have any
The Institute: Another Home Dark clouds gathered and decided to show their strength to the sun. As the sky turned dark and wind and rain joined the coalition of clouds, our cab raced through the streets of Calcutta. The sun was overpowered and I and my brother prayed to reach our destination before the rain hits the accelerator button. That was two years ago and I was on my way to join one of the premier institutes in India for my postgraduate studies. I was in awe with everything associated with the institute. At the same time I was a bit nervous and perhaps petrified with the thought of matching the wits of some of the best brains in the country for two years. My brother, on contrary, was happy, excited and perhaps proud of the achievement of his brother. After the drive of about an hour my brother pointed out “Look we have arrived.”. There was a pang within me as I smiled and watched nervously at the board of the institute. As we entered through the gate, the two large lakes on eit
Ragging A bunch of new joinees… Aha… One would think – Some change in the overall appeal (We will not pass the judgement i.e. ‘good’ or ‘bad’ until we have a thorough analysis done on the ‘impact’ of the new change) of the Office. However, since morning the excitement which usually accompanies such events is missing. There is some visible change with multiple groups of colleagues coming down to have a look at the new bunch of ‘Fachchas/ Fachchis’ and some going out of their way to extend a warm welcome to them and still I think that the ‘Occasion’ could have been grander. This preconceived notion about such an event can be traced back to my background. As an Engineering student (especially in second year), you wait eagerly for the ‘New Arrivals’ (at least it used to be that way when I joined Engineering and I think there is no need to mention the reason behind such anticipation). The much dreaded ‘ragging’ (Am I politically incorrect in using this term?) period eventually tur