Skip to main content

Insecure??

Within minutes of Delhi bomb blasts, I saw sudden changes in the status messages in gtalk of many of my friends. Some of them read “Delhi blasts…….. WTF”, “Another terror attack…….. Are we safe?”, “Jaipur, Bangalore, Ahmedabad and now Delhi…. What is happening?” etc. Going through the gtalk status messages is my new timepass and it was through them that I came to know about the blasts at the first place. This reflects one thing that people are now better informed and up to date regarding the happenings around them. Some of my friends were however apprehensive about their safety. A conversation on gtalk with one of my friends went like this:

My Friend: thr?

Me: Yeah.

My Friend: Is the flood relief money still being collected?

Me: I don’t know. Ask VS. He was collecting the money…….. :)

My Friend: I want to contribute to the cause. The people must have suffered a lot.

Me: You are most welcome to help. Yeah the people have suffered a lot. But many have shown character. Although there have been some inefficient implementation also.

My Friend: Oh! I will try to contact VS. Have you heard about the Delhi blasts?

Me: Even if I would not have heard, your status message is enough to let everyone know.

My Friend: Oh! Yeah. Shocking na. The terrorists again dodged our intelligence agencies. Those guys are paid for nothing. They can’t even protect our capital.

Me: Yeah it was a big intelligence lapse. Hope they do not repeat the same mistakes again.

My Friend: They will. No one is secure. Today it’s Delhi. Tomorrow it will be this place.

Me: Kolkata?? Nah!!! This is an easy target but no one has bothered to bomb it apart from the bombing at the American Consulate almost a decade back. Relax you will not be bombed.

My Friend: So is the city safe?

Me: No place is safer than other in today’s scenario. If you are concerned with your safety then it is better to stay within the boundaries of this institute. You will not be harmed here………….. J

My Friend: Hey I am not concerned. I was just interested to know about the possibility of an attack in places like this.

Me: :)…… I was not implying anything. So what is the movie that you are watching today?

And the conversation went on. As the content would reveal I had stalled writing this long time back. So why am I starting it all over again? The blasts in Assam have certain relation to it as well as the recent Maoists attempt to blow up Union ministers in Bengal. However it’s the observation during all these days which forced me to complete this post.

Scene 1: A day after the Delhi bomb blasts

At a sprawling mall in Kolkata (City Centre for those who know the place), the security checking was almost non-existent. The city police was either very confident that they had everything under control or were lax to put the attitude mildly. One of my friends beamed when he claimed “I have brought the handycam within the theatre” to which another friend responded “Hey I managed to sneak through a pack of cigarettes and a lighter”. However the best came from another friend who said “Now someone will say that I have managed to sneak in a bomb under their nose”. You know what I mean to say.

Scene 2: At my relative’s house

My aunt was giving strict orders to my cousin not to move out in Delhi when he is there. He was travelling back to his home for Diwali and had Delhi as a stoppage. “Delhi is no longer safe” she said. When I tried to reason with her (on request from my cousin who wanted to move out and have some fun in Delhi) she said “What if a bomb explodes and something happens. You never know.”

Scene 3: On the day of Assam bomb blasts

We had a party in the night of the blasts and did not know about it then. But on our way back we did not find any security checks. The areas we were covering were one of the most posh localities of Kolkata. The next morning we went out for a trip outside the city and again to our surprise we did not meet any security checks.

Scene 4: A day after the bomb blast by Maoists in Bengal

My friend said that even we are not secure in Bengal. He has put on hold his plans to visit some adjoining places during the break we have got.

What I want to portray through these incidents is that these acts of terror on our country are not only attempting to destroy the beautiful fabric of our country but also targeting the way we lead our life. These are attempts to instill fear in the common man and change his way of thinking so that he may turn into a slave in his own free country. Thus to stop these acts of terror is not only a priority on the grounds of saving the lives of our citizens but also a priority in order to save the morale of the entire country. This country is already burning under the vested interests of some individual/groups which are straining the concept of India on the basis of ‘regions’, ‘religion’, ‘castes’ etc. At this moment we do not need other morale dampeners like the feeling of insecurity for our life in our own land. Naseeruddin Shah portrayed this emotion well in ‘A Wednesday’. So it’s time that the government, intelligence agencies and law enforcement agencies smoothen their functioning to provide a safer neighbourhood to the citizens of our country.On our part we should deny these terrorists any moment of rejoice by carrying out our activities as usual. We are not the ones to be bogged down by the feeble attempts of some random psychos.

P.S: I wish we had superheroes in real life too. It would have been fun watching them wipe out the culprits from the society.

Comments

You are the superhero you are looking for. Don't you remember that you actually jumped '12 meter' only at the tender age of 12. And look the positive side of it you also get to kiss Miss.N.B , every superhero gets to kiss !!!.

Please don't wear those 'desi undis' on top of your pant , else the world will make some generalization about Indian Superheroes not being foppish :D.
Resurgence said…
Hey that was '12 feet' and not meters ...... :) and mind ur language dude.... You are trying to tarnish the image of ur dear friend (Though you called him superhero) ..... :)

And haan I have moved on from NB ... saaley hamara superhero 'undi' nahi pehnega pant ke upar...... he'll be a cool dude in jeans and T-shirt.... :) and sometimes suits too... :)
Ya ya ...when are you planning to kick of the project , I am really really interested da .

Kya dude you are sapping my enthusiasm .:( .
was thinking of "Wednesday " as i was reading your post. your friends could seriously take in all those things?? & my friend was not allowed a chloromint!!!! guess all they care is whether we buy from their food court or not!
as in for superheroes ,hmmm, i think it's best to be self dependent & save the day
Resurgence said…
@i'll try 2 be truthful
Yeah Gal...... They managed to sneak in those stuffs..... I love spicing things up but not when I'm writing a serious entry like this.... :)

As of Superheroes you have encountered a guy who is fascinated with the concept of Superheroes.. :)
Keshi said…
ty for stopping by my blog!

Great post here. The sad thing is only ppl like u and me will read this and u'stand how imp it is to live in peace and love. The baddies will never get it!

Keshi.

Popular posts from this blog

Banku and Bhootnath Authorspeak: I was going through my old files when I came across this one. I had written it long back when I saw ‘Bhootnath’ and happily forgot about it. Thus, unfortunately it never saw the Blogworld. This post has taken few potshots on some of the best people I have been with and I know that they won't mind this narration. Now that I am a little busy to write anything of significance this may act as filler. I do not know whether I will ever continue with the narration though. Year 2060: Banku and Bhootnath are sitting on a rooftop staring at the beautiful sky. The vast expanse of sky has them captivated when suddenly Banku is bugged by a childish curiosity. Banku: “Bhootnath, tell me how these stars are formed?” Bhootnath: (Obviously forgetting the reasons behind the formation of stars, fumbled to reply. You can not blame him. He is dead for 30 years and has not opened books since then. And tell me how many living people have any
The Institute: Another Home Dark clouds gathered and decided to show their strength to the sun. As the sky turned dark and wind and rain joined the coalition of clouds, our cab raced through the streets of Calcutta. The sun was overpowered and I and my brother prayed to reach our destination before the rain hits the accelerator button. That was two years ago and I was on my way to join one of the premier institutes in India for my postgraduate studies. I was in awe with everything associated with the institute. At the same time I was a bit nervous and perhaps petrified with the thought of matching the wits of some of the best brains in the country for two years. My brother, on contrary, was happy, excited and perhaps proud of the achievement of his brother. After the drive of about an hour my brother pointed out “Look we have arrived.”. There was a pang within me as I smiled and watched nervously at the board of the institute. As we entered through the gate, the two large lakes on eit
Ragging A bunch of new joinees… Aha… One would think – Some change in the overall appeal (We will not pass the judgement i.e. ‘good’ or ‘bad’ until we have a thorough analysis done on the ‘impact’ of the new change) of the Office. However, since morning the excitement which usually accompanies such events is missing. There is some visible change with multiple groups of colleagues coming down to have a look at the new bunch of ‘Fachchas/ Fachchis’ and some going out of their way to extend a warm welcome to them and still I think that the ‘Occasion’ could have been grander. This preconceived notion about such an event can be traced back to my background. As an Engineering student (especially in second year), you wait eagerly for the ‘New Arrivals’ (at least it used to be that way when I joined Engineering and I think there is no need to mention the reason behind such anticipation). The much dreaded ‘ragging’ (Am I politically incorrect in using this term?) period eventually tur