Skip to main content
Concern

“How is your health?” my mother enquired over the phone. I would have laughed and given her the same stereotype answer had it been some different time. I had a bout with fever 4-5 days before the conversation and I knew that she had her own anxiety over the health of her child. So I explained to her my condition (It was not easy to say that even though the fever is gone, I spent the entire day in the company of body ache) and completed it with a charmer that I have started to play tennis. She would have actually smiled. I could visualize her doing the same during the conversation. “Then surely you are not in good health, at least mentally. How come a guy who runs away from anything remotely physical started playing a demanding sport like Lawn Tennis? Is everything okay?” It was my turn to smile. “Yeah” I said. “What could possibly go wrong if someone has a mother like you?” Even with this kind of banter I could never miss the concern in her tone. There was nothing new in this episode. It happens to all of us.

However there was something new related to this incident. My friends were convinced that I had Malaria.
“All your symptoms indicate to this possibility” explained one of my friends. Before I could say anything he warned me “I have my degree in Biotechnology and you have yours in Computer Science. So don’t argue. I know more than you.” Surprisingly he got support from my other friends who were hell bent on taking me to the doctor. Now a confession: though some people romance with the concept of falling ill, I hate that. I hate visiting doctors and think that I have had my share of medicines for the entire life. So whenever there is any situation like the one mentioned above I try the method of avoidance. It is a good method and mostly succeeds.
“Let us analyze the situation. I am having spurts of fever with heavy sweating and body pain. But there is no fever since morning. So let me try this one day. If the fever comes again; we are going to the doctor tomorrow. It’s a deal.” My friends agreed to that. Fortunately there was no fever and I announced that I was in good health. My friends never accepted this declaration. They thought that I was hiding my fever. They also had the argument that body pain was persisting but since I was playing tennis during that time also (I know it sounds kind of foolish) so I attributed the pain to the physical exertion. They persuaded me to visit doctor several times but to no avail. In each of those efforts I saw concern and affection.

During those days I realized that my out station friends started to call me more often. Some directly enquired on my health while others tried to play it more casual and chatted on various issues. But the increase in the frequency of their calls clearly indicated that they still have concerns for me even though I have not met many of them for years.

My brother has a different way of handling the situation. He would just ping and ask “Kaisa hai”? (How are you?). It has been his style over the years. And so we would chat on different topics and whenever we have a conversation over phone he would seldom directly asks about my health but somehow we tend to know each other well enough to guess. My father, on the other hand, periodically cautions me for maintaining good health and the instructions tend to increase during situations like this.

Why did I write this? I don’t know exactly. I have taken many things in my life as granted. The support and affection of my loved ones are among those. However I have never before thought about the effects these small gestures bring on me as a person. Sometimes I feel that when there are so many people who think about us, care for us and shower their affection and love on us what could possibly go wrong in life. Whenever I have been down, faced adversities and have tended to falter I have found these people supportive enough to see me through those tough times. This post just considers the importance of the people in my life and duly acknowledges the role played by them in shaping me as a person.

Comments

"Why did I write this?"
Couldn't help but notice that you have mentioned your parents in the last few posts.
how silly is it , na? most of the times we forget about the fact that there will always be a set of people who will care & be concerned about us & this leads to eyebrow raising songs like " zindagi ne zindagi bhar gum diye ( ! )"
Even my conversation with my bro starts with "kaisa hai " or " kaha hai" :) are our bro's like kumbh ke mele me bichde hue bande ?
p.s = your mom's really smart , hehe lawn tennis !!.
Resurgence said…
@ I'll try 2 be truthful
Kumbh ke mele me Bhayion ka bichadna....... thanks for reminding...... bahut din ho gaye aisi movies nahi dekhi.... will try to watch some of them.... and haan thnx for acknowledging the smartness of my mother but will you answer one question: Wats so funny wid lawn tennis?? a hehe....... and here I've been trying hard enough to learn a new sport (Though not faring well)
re , nothings funny about lawn tennis . what i found funny was the way you promptly said "started to play tennis" so that your mom thinks you are fit n fine .hehe
Resurgence said…
@i'll try 2 be truthful
Hey........ tat came promptly bcoz I was doing that ....... and not bcoz i did it deliberately to make my mother feel better..... though there may be some truth in that also...... :)...... Anyways.. Since Puja is arriving..... here's a wish for you...... Shubho Bijoya..... :)
:) , Hey I thought u'll call me ,
I din do as per expectation , well managed with an average score . Call me when you are free .

Popular posts from this blog

Banku and Bhootnath Authorspeak: I was going through my old files when I came across this one. I had written it long back when I saw ‘Bhootnath’ and happily forgot about it. Thus, unfortunately it never saw the Blogworld. This post has taken few potshots on some of the best people I have been with and I know that they won't mind this narration. Now that I am a little busy to write anything of significance this may act as filler. I do not know whether I will ever continue with the narration though. Year 2060: Banku and Bhootnath are sitting on a rooftop staring at the beautiful sky. The vast expanse of sky has them captivated when suddenly Banku is bugged by a childish curiosity. Banku: “Bhootnath, tell me how these stars are formed?” Bhootnath: (Obviously forgetting the reasons behind the formation of stars, fumbled to reply. You can not blame him. He is dead for 30 years and has not opened books since then. And tell me how many living people have any
The Institute: Another Home Dark clouds gathered and decided to show their strength to the sun. As the sky turned dark and wind and rain joined the coalition of clouds, our cab raced through the streets of Calcutta. The sun was overpowered and I and my brother prayed to reach our destination before the rain hits the accelerator button. That was two years ago and I was on my way to join one of the premier institutes in India for my postgraduate studies. I was in awe with everything associated with the institute. At the same time I was a bit nervous and perhaps petrified with the thought of matching the wits of some of the best brains in the country for two years. My brother, on contrary, was happy, excited and perhaps proud of the achievement of his brother. After the drive of about an hour my brother pointed out “Look we have arrived.”. There was a pang within me as I smiled and watched nervously at the board of the institute. As we entered through the gate, the two large lakes on eit
Ragging A bunch of new joinees… Aha… One would think – Some change in the overall appeal (We will not pass the judgement i.e. ‘good’ or ‘bad’ until we have a thorough analysis done on the ‘impact’ of the new change) of the Office. However, since morning the excitement which usually accompanies such events is missing. There is some visible change with multiple groups of colleagues coming down to have a look at the new bunch of ‘Fachchas/ Fachchis’ and some going out of their way to extend a warm welcome to them and still I think that the ‘Occasion’ could have been grander. This preconceived notion about such an event can be traced back to my background. As an Engineering student (especially in second year), you wait eagerly for the ‘New Arrivals’ (at least it used to be that way when I joined Engineering and I think there is no need to mention the reason behind such anticipation). The much dreaded ‘ragging’ (Am I politically incorrect in using this term?) period eventually tur