Skip to main content

My World

Sometimes life can push you so hard that you feel like crumbling under the pressure. And yet one manages to crawl back most of the times. We term it as the ‘victory of human spirits’ and this had been the theme of many successful works of art. For the last few days I felt that the life was trying to put me on the same ‘pressure test’ albeit on the ‘novice’ mode. It did not help that it had chosen the time when I was reeling under intense back pain (Despite parting ways with pain yesterday I still have no idea how it became my guest at first place). Tuesday was particularly bad. I had my third consecutive night-out working on projects which I knew had very little chance to benefit me in the future and that too when I was almost immobile due to the sudden appearance of Mr. Pain. Things did not go well since the morning as I had to be a part of three most toll taking classes back to back and then an insipid performance in the final presentation. A spat with a good friend was the last thing I wanted at that juncture and life chose to strategically come up with that situation. The final result: I was left sulking and even could not register my frustration physically as Mr. Pain chose to shift into high gear almost simultaneously. I still feel that life and Mr. Pain conspired against me. If you are thinking that I’m cribbing about my life and in turn am boring you to death then wait! I still have the perfect recipe for a blockbuster despite the not so engaging first half. The fight-back remains to be portrayed.

I always had this belief that at times of adversity a person has to fall back to his strengths. I think that where life had succeeded in the game it played with me was that it cut me off my strengths. I had not slept for three consecutive nights and whatever little sleep I had managed in those days were always marred by disruptions. Feeling down and exhausted I went to bed and then suddenly everything changed. I returned to my world. Let me make a confession: my world is slightly different from the real world. My world is populated with fairies, unicorns, princes, vast greeneries, magical creatures and what not. There are demons and there are villains and so are the heroes. Colours of a more vibrant life explode in my world. It is an escapade from the harsh realities of the real world but then who cares. In my world I have encountered aliens, saved my planet from many attacks, moved across timelines, have created history, have destroyed armies and have uplifted the human civilization. I am the hero but sometimes I play the villain. It remains up to me on how I script the course my world will take. I am strong in my world, I am the man with virtues and in my world there is always the righteous who wins. I derive my strength from this world. It gives me hope that the real world can be made as beautiful as my world. We just need to strive to achieve that. Enough!!!! I know that I got carried away with my confession. But even though I can delete it I will not. Endure the real me if you have the courage.

So as I slept and let myself wander into my world, I started feeling good. It was so beautiful. I saw an old man limping around in woods. He was carrying a load of dry woods. I offered him help. He refused it politely. I showed my genuine concern about his age and offered him help again. He smiled and moved past me. I followed him.

“You appear to be in pain. You are limping.” I said.

“So what? I am limping does not mean that I am in pain.”

“Then what does it mean?”

“It means nothing.”

“How can it mean nothing?”

He sat by the riverside. He wiped out his perspiration. The sun was not harsh. The rays of it reflecting from the water made the river more beautiful.

“Why are you following me?” He asked me.

“I just want to help you.”

“I won’t let you do that.”

“Why?”

“Can you see the village across the river?” he pointed out in a specific direction.

I nodded.

“My grandchildren are waiting for me to bring these woods so that food can be cooked. I am taking these woods because it is my responsibility. I am taking these woods because the joy on their face gives me satisfaction. I will not let you snatch that away from me by helping me. “

“How do you manage your pain?” It was the first time I saw the cause of his limping. He had a cut in his ankle.

“By concentrating on my goal.” He smiled, “I have to go.”

He stood up and caressed my hair. “It was nice meeting you. Thanks for offering me help.”

I watched him as he carried the dry woods to his village for his grandchildren. I was about to go when I heard his voice “Will you remember an advice from an old man? Don’t ever let the adversities in life pin you down. The day you let that happen you will be as good as dead.”

I heard that and then walked along the river till the sun retired from his shift. I sat under a tree as the moon shone brilliantly in the sky. And then there was a thunder. I was woken up by my friends. The real world had taken over my world again. But I felt that the pain had subsided. Mr. Pain obviously was not feeling too well. I was happy. Almost ecstatic. I knew that this time the odds are in favour of me if the life ever applies the “pressure test” again on me.

Comments

Be tu sapna bhi itna broing dekta hai :( .

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA ....very very well written post will end up with a wow ,
by the way got the message you wanted to convey ;) . Yaar meye bhi raat ko so nahi pata hoon , fati hui hai , aur subha office meye , bura hal hai bhai.
a few days back i was feeling the same way . it seemed useless to stand up to the world any more coz i thought no one actually cared . then again , as u put it " the human spirit" prods you to move forward & take the pain - head on .
was nice of you to explain things through the story , just another face of --no pain , no gain??
Raghav Abbhi said…
he he he...
tera sapne bhi jhakas hote hain bhai... :)
ek humein dekho...sapne main hamesha sundar sundar......he he he

yeh jo Mr. Pain hai, its not a characteristic in your life only, everyone experiences it... :)

hope ki tera jaldi chala jaye...
Amrita said…
Hey nice one !

Popular posts from this blog

Banku and Bhootnath Authorspeak: I was going through my old files when I came across this one. I had written it long back when I saw ‘Bhootnath’ and happily forgot about it. Thus, unfortunately it never saw the Blogworld. This post has taken few potshots on some of the best people I have been with and I know that they won't mind this narration. Now that I am a little busy to write anything of significance this may act as filler. I do not know whether I will ever continue with the narration though. Year 2060: Banku and Bhootnath are sitting on a rooftop staring at the beautiful sky. The vast expanse of sky has them captivated when suddenly Banku is bugged by a childish curiosity. Banku: “Bhootnath, tell me how these stars are formed?” Bhootnath: (Obviously forgetting the reasons behind the formation of stars, fumbled to reply. You can not blame him. He is dead for 30 years and has not opened books since then. And tell me how many living people have any
The Institute: Another Home Dark clouds gathered and decided to show their strength to the sun. As the sky turned dark and wind and rain joined the coalition of clouds, our cab raced through the streets of Calcutta. The sun was overpowered and I and my brother prayed to reach our destination before the rain hits the accelerator button. That was two years ago and I was on my way to join one of the premier institutes in India for my postgraduate studies. I was in awe with everything associated with the institute. At the same time I was a bit nervous and perhaps petrified with the thought of matching the wits of some of the best brains in the country for two years. My brother, on contrary, was happy, excited and perhaps proud of the achievement of his brother. After the drive of about an hour my brother pointed out “Look we have arrived.”. There was a pang within me as I smiled and watched nervously at the board of the institute. As we entered through the gate, the two large lakes on eit
Ragging A bunch of new joinees… Aha… One would think – Some change in the overall appeal (We will not pass the judgement i.e. ‘good’ or ‘bad’ until we have a thorough analysis done on the ‘impact’ of the new change) of the Office. However, since morning the excitement which usually accompanies such events is missing. There is some visible change with multiple groups of colleagues coming down to have a look at the new bunch of ‘Fachchas/ Fachchis’ and some going out of their way to extend a warm welcome to them and still I think that the ‘Occasion’ could have been grander. This preconceived notion about such an event can be traced back to my background. As an Engineering student (especially in second year), you wait eagerly for the ‘New Arrivals’ (at least it used to be that way when I joined Engineering and I think there is no need to mention the reason behind such anticipation). The much dreaded ‘ragging’ (Am I politically incorrect in using this term?) period eventually tur