Skip to main content

The Dark Knight

This time it is not the review. I am late. You would have read the reviews by now. And I consider myself incompetent enough to review this movie. What I am going to do now is to shamelessly promote the movie. Go and watch it. It is worth every penny of your money you will spend in the theatre to soak in the experience. Here are my reasons of committing the mistake of recommending a movie in public:

It is rare for a hyped movie to meet the expectations of the audiences. This one not only meets expectations it surpasses all.

Perhaps this is the darkest superhero movie of all time. I wouldn’t say this with surety as I am yet to view all but to my experience this would be the darkest. Every frame brims with certain intensity. It is not the regular good meets bad fare.

The movie is a winner because of the script which is fresh and rather a new take on the superhero movies. The characters have depths and there is psychological game being played between the lead characters.

Heath Ledger. His depiction of Joker is perhaps one of the most menacing by a villain. Before his death he made it a point to leave a work which will make him remembered by generations. So as a ‘freak’ in distorted makeup he puts the entire city on ransom. He is witty, he is resourceful, he is cunning and he knows what he wants. His ‘Joker’ is frightening because he wants to become a ‘class’ of his own and in this process would burn a mound of dollar bills just to signify that he is above all the ‘pedestrian’ criminals, would kill and not kill at his own wish and would challenge the ‘hero’ which has put fear in the minds of other criminals. This ‘Joker’ is menacing because he knows to play with the psychology of people.

There is underlying difference with other movie of this genre. Here the ‘Devil’ decides to go after the ‘Good’ to the extent that no one is sure enough how the minds of people will work. ‘Is the good, good enough? Will the good be able to endure the pain or will he give in? Will the good succumb to the darkness within?’

Special Effects and Action Sequences. Though these movies are built on the strength of these but the difference here is that these sequences though spectacular and effective never overshadows the plot and the characters.

I talked about Heath Ledger separately because he is the soul of the movie. That does not undermine the performances of others. So Christian Bale allows himself to be superseded by Joker while playing the Batman beautifully. Aaron Echart shines as the DA who becomes the face of the hero Gotham was in search for. Gary Oldman as the lieutenant is again capable whereas Maggie Gyllenhaal steps into the character of Rachel Dawes easily. The old powerhouses in the form of Michel Caine and Morgan Freeman are as reliable as ever.

The climax is not predictable as any regular ‘Superhero’ movie. It is open to interpretation.

The conflict within from a commoner to a supposed Hero to a criminal is depicted beautifully.

The Canvas is big and so is the vision.

Batman has a new vehicle in the form of a motorbike and the looks of it and stunts done on that are fabulous.

Importantly, It reflects the fact that what one needs and what one deserves may not be the same.

And finally, I enjoyed the movie immensely. I liked it to the extent that I have recommended it to 40 odd people from my batch since morning.

Comments

lony said…
I think I am gonna watch this one in hall.
Resurgence said…
@rookie
You better do that dude...... I seldom recommend a movie with this intensity
Hey din I tell you , I was watching Brokeback mountain... few days ago, I like this fella(saley don't take it other ways). I liked his acting in 10 things 'I hate about you' he is superb. We are going for this movie prob tomorrow .I am buoyant these days .......ha ha , padi thik se nahi kar raha hoon , :) , you know me right , but this time I'll do good .
Hey din I tell you , I was watching Brokeback mountain... few days ago, I like this fella(saley don't take it other ways). I liked his acting in 10 things 'I hate about you' he is superb. We are going for this movie prob tomorrow .I am buoyant these days .......ha ha , padi thik se nahi kar raha hoon , :) , you know me right , but this time I'll do good .
saw the movie today & my god , it keeps you at the edge of the seat . i really liked it & have too started recommending it to my friends .
Resurgence said…
@I'll try 2 be truthful
Hey me going to watch it again 2morrow..... :) I hope that you would have seen it twice or thrice by now... :)

Popular posts from this blog

Banku and Bhootnath Authorspeak: I was going through my old files when I came across this one. I had written it long back when I saw ‘Bhootnath’ and happily forgot about it. Thus, unfortunately it never saw the Blogworld. This post has taken few potshots on some of the best people I have been with and I know that they won't mind this narration. Now that I am a little busy to write anything of significance this may act as filler. I do not know whether I will ever continue with the narration though. Year 2060: Banku and Bhootnath are sitting on a rooftop staring at the beautiful sky. The vast expanse of sky has them captivated when suddenly Banku is bugged by a childish curiosity. Banku: “Bhootnath, tell me how these stars are formed?” Bhootnath: (Obviously forgetting the reasons behind the formation of stars, fumbled to reply. You can not blame him. He is dead for 30 years and has not opened books since then. And tell me how many living people have any
The Institute: Another Home Dark clouds gathered and decided to show their strength to the sun. As the sky turned dark and wind and rain joined the coalition of clouds, our cab raced through the streets of Calcutta. The sun was overpowered and I and my brother prayed to reach our destination before the rain hits the accelerator button. That was two years ago and I was on my way to join one of the premier institutes in India for my postgraduate studies. I was in awe with everything associated with the institute. At the same time I was a bit nervous and perhaps petrified with the thought of matching the wits of some of the best brains in the country for two years. My brother, on contrary, was happy, excited and perhaps proud of the achievement of his brother. After the drive of about an hour my brother pointed out “Look we have arrived.”. There was a pang within me as I smiled and watched nervously at the board of the institute. As we entered through the gate, the two large lakes on eit
Ragging A bunch of new joinees… Aha… One would think – Some change in the overall appeal (We will not pass the judgement i.e. ‘good’ or ‘bad’ until we have a thorough analysis done on the ‘impact’ of the new change) of the Office. However, since morning the excitement which usually accompanies such events is missing. There is some visible change with multiple groups of colleagues coming down to have a look at the new bunch of ‘Fachchas/ Fachchis’ and some going out of their way to extend a warm welcome to them and still I think that the ‘Occasion’ could have been grander. This preconceived notion about such an event can be traced back to my background. As an Engineering student (especially in second year), you wait eagerly for the ‘New Arrivals’ (at least it used to be that way when I joined Engineering and I think there is no need to mention the reason behind such anticipation). The much dreaded ‘ragging’ (Am I politically incorrect in using this term?) period eventually tur