Skip to main content

Out of Box

This happened in certain discourse:

The preacher was looking to encourage the listeners to think out of box. He took the marker and wrote on the board:

He: “Come to the edge.”
They: “We are afraid.”
He: “Come to the edge”
He pushed.
They

“What happened to them?” the preacher asked the listeners.
There was an awkward silence which was broken by an enthusiastic voice, “They flew.”
“Correct.” The preacher completed the half sentence on the board: They flew.
“This is the effect of out of box thinking. For this you must have to free yourself from your usual notion…………….. ”

The person who narrated this incident to me said he was thinking of answering the question by saying ‘They Died.’, but had never thought that the answer would be such a weird ‘They flew.’

Why have I written all this crap? I don’t have any idea. Maybe I just wanted to vent out my feelings somewhere. The incident has affected me in a way. I’m not sure of ‘Out-of-Box’ thinking anymore. There have been many instances where out of box thinking has changed the way we look at the world. So we had Newton thinking that the earth is attracted to an apple which has just lost its connection from the tree and hence instead of going up in the sky or for that matter hanging out on its own in the open space the apple falls to the liking of earth. The result: We have one more chapter in the class XI Physics book, new constants in the form of ‘g’ and ‘G’ and some additional questions in the entrance examinations of respected institutes. Of course the side effects are that we now send air crafts in space, plant satellites in sky so that we can watch TV and sometimes even predict the weather correctly and finally embark a journey to unravel the mysteries of the universe. We all know this is not the only case of out of box thinking.

So we had ‘Thomas Alva Edition’ who would forget many things but will go on inventing more things than the number of days some people actually do good work. We had ‘Kalidasa’ who thought it is okay for a cloud to deliver messages instead of people. We had ‘Copernicus’ who thought it is wise to replace Earth from the centre of world and give Sun a much deserved place in the now named ‘Solar System’. We had ‘Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi’ who would argue that a peaceful non-cooperation can shake the foundation of the mightiest empire in the world. And now we have scientists who would genetically engineer species, would bet on ‘Strings’ (A much smaller element than most of us can imagine) to bring forth a unified solution to all the mysteries of universe and would plan a human settlement in near future to other galactic objects of our solar system.

And out of box thinking does not only bring about good change or provide futuristic aspirations to entire generations, it has been known for some of the silliest and sometimes dreadful decisions man has ever made. So we also had ‘Mohammad bin Tughlaq’ who would rather shift his entire capital without thinking of the consequences. And we had to witness the explosions based on nuclear energies to wipe out entire settlements and disable future generations in order to bring a war to an end. ‘Wiping out a set of humans to save other set.’

My point is why there is so much emphasis on out of box thinking. Can it be taught? Why does one often finds oneself being told that it is important to have an out of box perspective to succeed? With all due respects to the die-hard fans of ‘out-of-box’ thinking, I would like to say that it is not out of box thinking only that make success stories. Sticking to the formula also make good success stories. My only point is that I even don’t think that there is something called ‘out-of-box’ and for one thing it can not be taught. All the instances I have mentioned or others which I have not are not because one thought deliberately out of box. These moments may be moments of truth, moments of realization or moments of exploring a new possibility. To term it out of box may not be the right terminology. The whole emphasis on the terminology by some so called intellectuals unnerves me. One can not think out of box if forced. Whenever I deliberately want to write something I fail. As I have failed this time. What I would like to term such a thought process is spontaneous thinking. So whether the above preacher actually thought the weird answer to be out of box or not I really think that it was at least not spontaneous thinking.

Comments

K.C. said…
Just popping in and liked this view point. Liked a lot of the ways that you thought and it seems that you have been a lot lately. Loved what you said on your profile as well... KC
Resurgence said…
Thanks KC........ This is the fastest comment ever for any of my posts....... Thanks for the kind words on my profile too.... As far as my thought process goes it is a simple man's view on the complex structure of my world
Hey who told you out of box thinking
cannot be taught, didn't I teach you
to ogle at civil cheeks when every one was busy watching Kalpana Mam ..
ha ha ..Hmmm Fundu .

Hope to get more in this blog , by the way, saley don't I deserve a Thanks for dropping the first manure in your blog .
Resurgence said…
@Tyro......... I would have loved to ogle at the civil 'Cheeks' chics but the funda was that there were constraints of all kinds.... So committed to friends to best friends dying hard for them to not some good looking chics to managing my impression (which was never there)....... life is unfair boss...... u know wat i mean ...... as for thanks if you want it to be officially given... Thank you my friend for every thing you have not done which has contributed a lot in making the world a better place
Niks said…
A great way to put the point.True out of box thinking can never be taught it is only be a realization.When we are exhausted with all the possibilities but still crave to find a new way out and are struk with that eureka moment...And true who says we need out of box thinking to excel sometimes doing things the normal way is all is required since many people fail to do normal things like a straight talk..

Popular posts from this blog

Banku and Bhootnath Authorspeak: I was going through my old files when I came across this one. I had written it long back when I saw ‘Bhootnath’ and happily forgot about it. Thus, unfortunately it never saw the Blogworld. This post has taken few potshots on some of the best people I have been with and I know that they won't mind this narration. Now that I am a little busy to write anything of significance this may act as filler. I do not know whether I will ever continue with the narration though. Year 2060: Banku and Bhootnath are sitting on a rooftop staring at the beautiful sky. The vast expanse of sky has them captivated when suddenly Banku is bugged by a childish curiosity. Banku: “Bhootnath, tell me how these stars are formed?” Bhootnath: (Obviously forgetting the reasons behind the formation of stars, fumbled to reply. You can not blame him. He is dead for 30 years and has not opened books since then. And tell me how many living people have any
The Institute: Another Home Dark clouds gathered and decided to show their strength to the sun. As the sky turned dark and wind and rain joined the coalition of clouds, our cab raced through the streets of Calcutta. The sun was overpowered and I and my brother prayed to reach our destination before the rain hits the accelerator button. That was two years ago and I was on my way to join one of the premier institutes in India for my postgraduate studies. I was in awe with everything associated with the institute. At the same time I was a bit nervous and perhaps petrified with the thought of matching the wits of some of the best brains in the country for two years. My brother, on contrary, was happy, excited and perhaps proud of the achievement of his brother. After the drive of about an hour my brother pointed out “Look we have arrived.”. There was a pang within me as I smiled and watched nervously at the board of the institute. As we entered through the gate, the two large lakes on eit
Ragging A bunch of new joinees… Aha… One would think – Some change in the overall appeal (We will not pass the judgement i.e. ‘good’ or ‘bad’ until we have a thorough analysis done on the ‘impact’ of the new change) of the Office. However, since morning the excitement which usually accompanies such events is missing. There is some visible change with multiple groups of colleagues coming down to have a look at the new bunch of ‘Fachchas/ Fachchis’ and some going out of their way to extend a warm welcome to them and still I think that the ‘Occasion’ could have been grander. This preconceived notion about such an event can be traced back to my background. As an Engineering student (especially in second year), you wait eagerly for the ‘New Arrivals’ (at least it used to be that way when I joined Engineering and I think there is no need to mention the reason behind such anticipation). The much dreaded ‘ragging’ (Am I politically incorrect in using this term?) period eventually tur