Skip to main content

Jodha Akbar

When I went to watch Jodha Akbar yesterday I was riding on two sets of opinions: One came from many reviews which termed it to be a path breaking product coming out of Indian cinema and the other which remain indifferent to the movie giving it average rating. To be fair I generally keep the rating factor out of my consideration when I watch a movie but it becomes difficult to remain unbiased when you have read so much about a movie. So I kept on looking for scenes mentioned in the reviews and evaluating them on my scales. This becomes quite tough and sometimes I was left wondering whether the evaluation of the movie is completely mine or guided by my presumptions.

Before I start with my evaluation of the movie let me make some clarifications. First the film has a massive sweep. Second this movie is not a historical and instead a love story. So if you are planning to watch this as a genuine historical it is most likely that you will come out disappointed. The start of the movie has put me off when the Amitabh baritone announced that the Mughals came to the country in 1450 AD whereas I have always known that Mughal rule began in India in 1526 AD. Keeping all this aside let me now put forth what I think of this movie.

How often have you been a part of a cinematic experience where you were awed, felt elated, smiled, enjoyed, yawned, checked time again and again, cringed at the screenplay and sometimes stereotypes, marveled at the performances and chemistry shared by the lead pair and finally left the hall with a sense of loss? Not often I believe. At least it had not happened with me for a long time where I have to go through all this (e)motions in one go. This sums up the entire Jodha Akbar extravaganza. As I mentioned before I even started out with the review that the film has a massive sweep. Ashutosh Gowariker shows the glimpse of being one of the finest directors from India. But his skills could not save the film. I think there is a flaw in the narration. The film is marred by slow pace and at times faulty screenplay. Plus the movie is too long. He has given us a classic in the form of Lagaan and a heart warming experience in Swades but he is yet to learn time management when it comes to screenplay. Talking of screenplay it champions many stereotypes which further lets you down. So is the movie that bad that I am panning it from the word go? The answer is no and this is the most lamentable part. It could have been much more and may be our answer to Hollywood period dramas in foreign markets. When in the morning I read the collections the movie has taken in the International market and the euphoria surrounding it I almost winced. There is much more to a movie than just collections.

To be fair Jodha Akbar is an honest attempt to tell a love story. The protagonists here are Akbar and Jodha but it could have been any one. Any fictional characters would have fit the bill. The story starts about 40 minutes into the film (I didn’t check my watch around that time!) when the ‘treaty’ of Jodha-Akbar is sealed in the form of marriage. The brewing romance between the protagonists coming from different cultures and religions made the film watchable. It is the tension, anxiety and the longings which have been captured brilliantly by the director. The scenes where Jodha puts forth her demands to Akbar, where Akbar watches longingly at her, where Jodha is caught by him watching his bare torso while he practices his sword fighting, where he salvages her pride by eating in the same plates in which she had eaten moments before, the sword duel between the couple could warm any heart. It is the sheer chemistry between the lead pair which hooks you to the screen. Alas there are many elements which do not quite match this magic. There are some sub plots which were not needed. Further the film boasts of many stereotypes and you cringe every time they come across. Some of the characters are too loud. That was not required. Also some of the scenes and dialogues would have been more suitable to a stage drama rather than being a part of the movie of this scale. Gowariker in a way falters in the screenplay and characterization part.

The war scenes are opulent by Indian standards but how I wished it was better choreographed. The first battle scene at the beginning is shot well but does not have the charisma. Also the way the archer moved and shot left a lot to be desired. It could have been more engaging. Ditto with the second battle scene. One of my friends pointed out this morning that the cannons explosions were not producing the damage we are accustomed to see in other movies and serials. The Troy inspired final duel was also not upto the mark. My other friend was so disappointed that he said either they should not have been inspired by Troy or they should have at least maintained that standard.

Technically the film is brilliant. Production design by Nitin Chandrakant Desai suits the mood of the movie and never overshadows the narrative. The camera work by Kiran Deohans is of international standards. Neeta Lulla’s costume design is good but can any one explain me what was the need for making Ash show that much flesh? I am quite sure that in the medieval traditional Rajasthan that exposure was not allowed (As far as my history knowledge goes). The dialogues by K P Saxena reflect the era but are sometimes incomprehensible and sometimes full of clichés. The sour point is editing. It is a loosely edited film and that even the makers would accept after recognizing the fault with the final product.

AR Rahman’s music is soulful and choreography is good. The ‘Marhaba’ song is choreographed so well that you feel half the ticket’s value is retrieved there. But it is the background score which elevates the movie. Hrithik puts in a sincere and brave effort. However there were times when he could easily be seen in Krissh avatar. I liked Aishwarya’s performance after a long time. I think this role could only have been enacted by her. Supporting cast ranges from good to passable. Sonu Sood is a revelation. Ila Arun puts a commendable performance. Raza Murad is okay while Punam Sinha is just passable. Kulbhushan Kharbanda by now has attained mastery in becoming distressed ruler.

In the end this movie could not deliver what it had promised. I was not able to carry movie with me as I left the hall. It could have been a modern day classic but alas it is not. It has its own set of poignant moments. Cherish those and there is a high probability that you may leave the hall with indifference (i.e. not being disappointed).

Rating: 2.5/5

Comments

Anonymous said…
great review......seldomly we come across experts who are so thorough in their subject.....I,of many, eagerly wait for such reviews as they act as guidebooks for movie watching.....this author is a GENIUS,to the 'S',,,blessed are we who got this chance of reading this review....GREAT JOB.....KUDOS TO THE AUTHOR.....
Soorya said…
Nice review..Will be watching it this weeknd hopefully.. though i don't have any high expectattions from the movie..lets see :-D
Arvind Pasi said…
I guess this is the perfect review; reflects exactly the way i feel abt the movie. I watched it twice. 1st time i found it intresting and it could hold me for 3 hrs but 2nd time u want to come out of the hall just after 15mins but i waited for the song 'marhabba', excellent is the word for it. As the author hav rightly said tht u cant say this movie a historical one but just a "love story with historical characters" in it...so to enjoy the movie keep yr history knowlege in yr pocket otherwise u will get nothing but disappointment :D
Anonymous said…
Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the TV de LCD, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://tv-lcd.blogspot.com. A hug.

Popular posts from this blog

Banku and Bhootnath Authorspeak: I was going through my old files when I came across this one. I had written it long back when I saw ‘Bhootnath’ and happily forgot about it. Thus, unfortunately it never saw the Blogworld. This post has taken few potshots on some of the best people I have been with and I know that they won't mind this narration. Now that I am a little busy to write anything of significance this may act as filler. I do not know whether I will ever continue with the narration though. Year 2060: Banku and Bhootnath are sitting on a rooftop staring at the beautiful sky. The vast expanse of sky has them captivated when suddenly Banku is bugged by a childish curiosity. Banku: “Bhootnath, tell me how these stars are formed?” Bhootnath: (Obviously forgetting the reasons behind the formation of stars, fumbled to reply. You can not blame him. He is dead for 30 years and has not opened books since then. And tell me how many living people have any
The Institute: Another Home Dark clouds gathered and decided to show their strength to the sun. As the sky turned dark and wind and rain joined the coalition of clouds, our cab raced through the streets of Calcutta. The sun was overpowered and I and my brother prayed to reach our destination before the rain hits the accelerator button. That was two years ago and I was on my way to join one of the premier institutes in India for my postgraduate studies. I was in awe with everything associated with the institute. At the same time I was a bit nervous and perhaps petrified with the thought of matching the wits of some of the best brains in the country for two years. My brother, on contrary, was happy, excited and perhaps proud of the achievement of his brother. After the drive of about an hour my brother pointed out “Look we have arrived.”. There was a pang within me as I smiled and watched nervously at the board of the institute. As we entered through the gate, the two large lakes on eit
Ragging A bunch of new joinees… Aha… One would think – Some change in the overall appeal (We will not pass the judgement i.e. ‘good’ or ‘bad’ until we have a thorough analysis done on the ‘impact’ of the new change) of the Office. However, since morning the excitement which usually accompanies such events is missing. There is some visible change with multiple groups of colleagues coming down to have a look at the new bunch of ‘Fachchas/ Fachchis’ and some going out of their way to extend a warm welcome to them and still I think that the ‘Occasion’ could have been grander. This preconceived notion about such an event can be traced back to my background. As an Engineering student (especially in second year), you wait eagerly for the ‘New Arrivals’ (at least it used to be that way when I joined Engineering and I think there is no need to mention the reason behind such anticipation). The much dreaded ‘ragging’ (Am I politically incorrect in using this term?) period eventually tur