Skip to main content
Me Myself And Cricket……….

Author Speak: This is a unique effort and almost worthless. The character of Rahul is deliberately represented with weak arguments so as to bring forth the point I believe is important. The quality of the article may not be good but bear with it. I will try to write much better articles in the future.


“Urghhhhhhhhhhhh” cried Rahul. “These people don’t know how to play cricket. What was the use of throwing away wicket like that?” Shanu sat there in momentarily gloom. He was following all his superstitions religiously to make India win. So he had not left his seat, been continuously changing to the same set of channels, was uttering his prayers with sincerity. The end result was however known. The Indian Cricket team lost to Sri Lanka thereby surrendering its chance to qualify into the super eight of the world cup to an improbable miracle. Rahul was furious, Shanu heartbroken. Pride of every Indian was hurt and that was reflected in the reactions pouring in from across the country.

The once revered demi-gods have all but fallen. The shame was unbearable and the reactions extreme. Even as the country was hoping against hope that Bermuda hands an improbable defeat to Bangladesh, Rahul was fuming. “These guys should be gunned down on the streets.” The media was happy diagnosing the reasons of the defeat and unforeseen exit. Those experts who were not a week before claiming that this team has the perfect combination of bringing home the cup were now ripping apart the same combo. “They have a valid point. This team should be scrapped. No need for having players who can’t perform. But first let that Gora Chappel go”, scowled Rahul. “Don’t you feel cheated? You are seemingly unperturbed by our exit from the World Cup.”, he asked Shanu. Shanu smiled but remained quiet. He didn’t want to get involved into yet another argument.

Who could think that the entire nation of a billion would be hooked to watch the match of minnows Bermuda and Bangladesh. But India did. Many watched the match and at a time came close to believe that their team will move to the next round. Shanu found himself following his superstitions religiously while Rahul for once tried to refrain himself from ridiculing his team. When it was all over he couldn’t resist more and incited Shanu to a debate. Here is the excerpt of that.
“So how does your superstition help India? These are a bunch of idiots who have brought us shame.”
“Yes they have.”
“So you are at ease with it. There is no emotion as such.”
“What would I do with that reflection of emotion?”
“You are hopeless. These players have done such an injustice to the faith we had put on them.”
“I just don’t know what this fuss is all about. Okay we have lost matches and are out of world cup but that’s the part of the game.”
“Loss is not important. The manner in which they have lost is important. They have been outplayed by the minnows Bangladesh. Shame.”
“Why the hell, are they are part of this game if these minnows are not supposed to beat the bigger teams?”
“You don’t understand the pure logic.”
“I understand the logic and it is not that only people like you wish India to be a world champions.”
“What about them? They don’t have the motivation to win the game. Have you not seen their body language on the field?”
“Are yaar, they too are human beings. They have more at stake than all of us would like to believe. Will not a bunch of players with outstanding records like to grab the final honour missing their kitty before they exit the stage with grace? Don’t make me think that they only go for money and not for glory.”
“Yes they are. They are not players. They are a bunch of stars going for money. Better they work in commercials than playing cricket.”
“If people are so enraged with them for working in commercials they should stop watching them na. I tell you this hue and cry is only for a while. Once they are back on winning way everything will be forgotten.”
“No this time there will be repercussions.”
“Really!”
“Have you seen the reactions across country? People this time have come out on streets. They will not let go the culprits this easily.”
“Yeah! I have seen them doing their bit of Nautanki.”
“Don’t you dare to call genuine outrage nautanki.”
“What was that? Mourning like someone has died. I wish they would have the courage and time for some causes more genuine than our loss.”
“You are acting like a preacher you know.”
“Probably.”
“What have you done for your so called genuine causes till now?”
“Nothing but neither I’ve gone out shouting slogans for the demise of the sport we love.”
“We love the sport and that is why there is so much of agitation.”
“I know but I wish there would have been more issues for which we could have shown the same intensity and passion.”
“You are impossible. You would not acknowledge that our team is bad.”
“I will acknowledge that our team didn’t perform and do not deserve to be a part of super 8. But I would not slam the greats whom I’ve loved to watch since my childhood. Probably I’m wrong here but that is how I am.”
“I would not say a thing again. It is just like reasoning with a dead.”
At this Shanu smiled and went to sleep.

Epilogue: I was disturbed with all this unnecessary fuss regarding our exit from the world cup. I have also waited with bated breath for the arrival of this carnival with the expectation that finally India will bring the cup home. But the extreme reactions made me think that there are many other issues which require our equal attention and passion. As my friend pointed out “How do we Indians have so much time to deal in things as silly as this?” This is a tribute to all those who would rather work for other causes (carrying the burden of our loss and exit from world cup) than making it a point to slam the sport stars we love to hate now.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Genial dispatch and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you seeking your information.

Popular posts from this blog

Banku and Bhootnath Authorspeak: I was going through my old files when I came across this one. I had written it long back when I saw ‘Bhootnath’ and happily forgot about it. Thus, unfortunately it never saw the Blogworld. This post has taken few potshots on some of the best people I have been with and I know that they won't mind this narration. Now that I am a little busy to write anything of significance this may act as filler. I do not know whether I will ever continue with the narration though. Year 2060: Banku and Bhootnath are sitting on a rooftop staring at the beautiful sky. The vast expanse of sky has them captivated when suddenly Banku is bugged by a childish curiosity. Banku: “Bhootnath, tell me how these stars are formed?” Bhootnath: (Obviously forgetting the reasons behind the formation of stars, fumbled to reply. You can not blame him. He is dead for 30 years and has not opened books since then. And tell me how many living people have any
The Institute: Another Home Dark clouds gathered and decided to show their strength to the sun. As the sky turned dark and wind and rain joined the coalition of clouds, our cab raced through the streets of Calcutta. The sun was overpowered and I and my brother prayed to reach our destination before the rain hits the accelerator button. That was two years ago and I was on my way to join one of the premier institutes in India for my postgraduate studies. I was in awe with everything associated with the institute. At the same time I was a bit nervous and perhaps petrified with the thought of matching the wits of some of the best brains in the country for two years. My brother, on contrary, was happy, excited and perhaps proud of the achievement of his brother. After the drive of about an hour my brother pointed out “Look we have arrived.”. There was a pang within me as I smiled and watched nervously at the board of the institute. As we entered through the gate, the two large lakes on eit
Ragging A bunch of new joinees… Aha… One would think – Some change in the overall appeal (We will not pass the judgement i.e. ‘good’ or ‘bad’ until we have a thorough analysis done on the ‘impact’ of the new change) of the Office. However, since morning the excitement which usually accompanies such events is missing. There is some visible change with multiple groups of colleagues coming down to have a look at the new bunch of ‘Fachchas/ Fachchis’ and some going out of their way to extend a warm welcome to them and still I think that the ‘Occasion’ could have been grander. This preconceived notion about such an event can be traced back to my background. As an Engineering student (especially in second year), you wait eagerly for the ‘New Arrivals’ (at least it used to be that way when I joined Engineering and I think there is no need to mention the reason behind such anticipation). The much dreaded ‘ragging’ (Am I politically incorrect in using this term?) period eventually tur