Skip to main content

Ragging


A bunch of new joinees… Aha… One would think – Some change in the overall appeal (We will not pass the judgement i.e. ‘good’ or ‘bad’ until we have a thorough analysis done on the ‘impact’ of the new change) of the Office. However, since morning the excitement which usually accompanies such events is missing. There is some visible change with multiple groups of colleagues coming down to have a look at the new bunch of ‘Fachchas/ Fachchis’ and some going out of their way to extend a warm welcome to them and still I think that the ‘Occasion’ could have been grander. This preconceived notion about such an event can be traced back to my background. As an Engineering student (especially in second year), you wait eagerly for the ‘New Arrivals’ (at least it used to be that way when I joined Engineering and I think there is no need to mention the reason behind such anticipation).


The much dreaded ‘ragging’ (Am I politically incorrect in using this term?) period eventually turned out to be the ‘bonding agent’ for the 2002-2006 batch of my undergraduate college. The reason – A common enemy (read seniors) brought us together and there was a sense of association, a feeling of oneness and above all an understanding of each other’s plight. We were forced to interact with people, came to know of the names (by face recognition algorithm) of a batch of around 250 in just 7 days (I still don’t know the names of many in my current organization despite spending nearly a year here) and were put to some difficult challenges which made the entire batch gel as a unit. We still fondly remember the day when we ran into jungles (oblivious of the fact that we could face a cheetah or a tiger in our expedition) just because of the fear of seniors or the day when we were first introduced to our seniors (in a very peculiar manner – every college used to have a typical style. Just imagine the ‘Jahan panah tussi great ho’ of 3 idiots and you would realize to what I’m pointing at). And it was not that the seniors were out always hunting for us. They were supposed to be mentors and guardians looking after their juniors and apart from few psychoheads they used to do a perfect job. Obviously when we went to second year, we were eagerly waiting for the ‘Freshers’- Some would have got the opportunity to get the revenge of the thrashing they received by doing the same to their juniors, however, most would have loved to interact with the new lot and welcoming them to the family with some fun. That was not to happen – a diktat from the college management made it almost impossible for the seniors to interact with juniors. It was not as if there were no earlier attempts to stop ragging but this time the management was determined and they succeeded. However, in hindsight, they also assured that the subsequent batches never shared the warmth and the bond of the previous batches. My friends were in the college this winter and the Faculty informed them that the current batch of students lack the kind of association we used to have with our batch, college, department and faculty. Sometimes we overlook the other side of the coin while implementing certain things. I am not supporting ragging but I think there has to be a rethink on the exact definition of ragging. Maybe it can be introduced as a ‘Management game’ or ‘Strategy exercise’ in which members of a particular side never knows that they are a part of the game.


In my post graduate college, there was no ragging. No one could ever complain of harassment because there never was one. However, there was a process in place which introduced us to the ways of our college - an elaborately planned arrangement which made sure that once we were through the phase, we were ready to take on the challenges thrown to us by the rigour of the post graduate study. Not only this, the senior batch used to go out of their way to ensure that every piece falls in place so that the training is ‘effective’ and ‘fruitful’.


Why did I write this post?


I really do not know now. The above was written two days back sitting in the office when I was awaiting some information to proceed in my work (Yeah, sometimes you have to wait that long … J ). Now that two days have passed I really do not have any clue on why I wrote this piece in the first place. However, somewhere deep inside there is a feeling that the ‘New Joinees’ should be given the opportunity to explore the fun side of the organization as well – The reception could have been different and they could have been involved in a fun filled ‘Strategy game’.


Do I support ragging?


Well this is a tricky one. I do not support thrashing and that one thing is for sure. But I’m pained when I see students attempting suicides or leaving colleges even if they are not allowed to have their favourite fish (Yes this is true) or trivial issues like this. ‘Ragging’ (even if you exclude the physical part) used to make people mentally strong and prepared them for any adversity they would face in future. I have never ragged or harassed anybody but I do acknowledge the ‘positives’ and some ‘negatives’ which that brief phase gave me. On whole the positives outweigh the negatives (Of course I have not faced the kind of thrashing that would leave deep scar on me for the rest of my life).


P.S: I only think that there should be a rethink in the strategy which regulates the interaction of seniors with juniors. Of course do not allow anything that will scar the psyche of the ‘future’ of our country but allow the space which allows a healthy interaction and also prepare the new students (just out in the big bad world) for the adversities they are likely to face in future.


Disclaimer: This post in no way promotes ragging or any similar concept. There had been and there are still many ‘sickening’ form of practices prevalent in our institutions in the guise of ragging – those should be stopped immediately.

Comments

Unknown said…
i hold numerous opposing views to your post on ragging.
I have never ragged or have never been ragged, (bet you would say - unfortunately!) yet i share very cordial relationship with many of my senioprs...on the other hand being a very self respecting guy...i would always look at a guy dubiously and with contempt who without any reason tried to humiliate me in any way (even if it was for the purpose of "getting to know each other better"

I understand your point about not promoting ragging but speaking for a channel to promote interaction between seniors and juniors...which seem to have stopped in your undergrad institution with closure of ragging.

but what did the management say??? "stop talking to the juniors???" I hope not.

You keep saying that there needs to be a space for healthy relationship building but do not suggest one. I believe without suggesting an alternative, saying albeit vaguely, in favor of "ragging" (or whatever term you want to give it, you run the risk of promoting it as the only means of doing so.

i understand that you have had " the positives and some negatives" from your personal experience...but there are many who have had "all negatives" from it, doesn't matter how innocuous his ragging was..

dont take my rather strong response to be an attack but rather a caveat that yopur views while not lost on me...might be misconstrued as "why there needs to ragging or something like that...even though not physical!!"

relationship building is a natural process and i have seen it happen devoid of any artificial process..ragging or whatever else.
Kunal said…
THE KING OF DISCLAMERS COMES UP WITH YET ANOTHER ONE

Sometimes I feel that you are too apologetic all the time.

It’s like saying I’ve made Ice cream for all of you… but its pathetic, please don’t eat it… but I’ve kept it on the table for those of you who want a stomach ache

DUDE YOU HAVE ICE CREAM… MAKE PEOPLE BEG FOR IT!! [AT LEAST]

You're not a diplomat so you don't have to be diplomatic and politically correct all the time… Go ahead Tweet about all sorts of things, you're not Shashi Tharoor [There won't be an inquiry]

As far as the post goes… I’d just like to say that different people take different things in different sorts of ways :D

You were united against a common enemy which kind of forced you to bond with each other… others can do without the humiliation and forced associations... who’s to say what’s right and what’s wrong?

Anyway… it’s debatable to say the least
Resurgence said…
@Ritwik
Probably you are right in suggesting that there are other ways of promoting healthy relationship as you did with your seniors... salutes to both sets of people... and I know that your strong response is not against me but against the concept of the post... yet let me provide you with certain situations:

The life of engineers are slightly different from the life of a Statistician (and that too from the respected institute that you are from)... Also when you go out of the college to face the real world... you need to face the world with a lot of mental strength and character and ... rest we have discussed offline... no one was able to convince the others... :)
Resurgence said…
@Kunal
It is debatable and there should be a debate on it... I never mentioned in the post that there should be ragging... What I offered was somekind of Strategic intervention to groom people (Is it always necessary to associate ragging with the excesses of the World?)... Can't it be more like a 'Strategic Game' format as I had mentioned earlier where you have to get through a series of test and challenges as a group (Which allows you to bond and gel with people around you)and managed in a way that no one is scarred?
when we look back at our "ragging" days all we do is smile.
yes we did not get any kind of *thrashing* and somehow all of it was fun (even though that time we used to be mighty scared of 'em)

& now when I look at my juniors they barely know us, albeit the fault was also ours who gave up at sometime. (posters of *ragging is a punishable crime did the trick i guess)but it's like there's no right or wrong to it.

dunno about the *strategies& but I do get your need to be politically correct :)

ps: you ran into a cheetah infested forest? :D
diwakar said…
very true...we(my batch) were the part of change....and our juniors are got changed!....so sad.
Neha Das said…
pretty good...n i absolutely agree wid u shanu da :)
joie de vivre said…
I don't know weather it is good or bad..

I personally have gone through a very rough time during my first year..It was not welcoming and not at all encouraging...

Ragging somehow make people strong I believe..
Some make friends out of it and some make bitter experiences..

You are lucky enough to get good friends..not always these things turn out well..
Resurgence said…
@I'll try 2 be truthful
Gal... At that time we did not know that we could possible run into Cheeta and it was not as if the Cheeta was found in the 'Chappe Chappe' of the jungle... :)

As far as my need for being politically correct... I'm glad people do understand my position... :)
Resurgence said…
@diwakar
We were equally responsible in making of the present mess... We interacted with you all but not to the extent we would like to be... there was some gap and that aggrevated with the passing of every batch... I think it is our fault(by that I mean our batch) that we failed to pass on those values to you guys as our juniors...:)

Anyways we can always strive to make a better environment for all in the college... :)
Resurgence said…
@pratiksha
Lolz... :)
Resurgence said…
@joie de vivre
Gal... Nice to see your comment... Ragging is never welcoming to the incoming batch... and I'm not saying it is good... I could give you a innumerous instances in which I was roughed up in not a kind way ... I survived and felt that it made me tougher... I agree with 'These things not turn up good always' and this post by no means encourage such things... :)
Hello Shanu Sir,

I didn't know about your blog for a long time. I belong to the first batch which did not experience "proper" ragging. Do you think the relationship between you and me(or Debarshi or Neta or Mantu) was stunted because of this? I don't believe any senior can have a closer relationship than what Saugata da had with us.
There is one argument which was made by a lot of proponents of ragging at the time. They said people who are not ragged do not know how to respect seniors. It was as if the "third button" and "sir" practice was really respect. There are some people you can respect and some whom you cannot. I do not have respect for someone who likes to go around slapping people and gives everyone a count of how many slaps they received in the year. That guy thinks people who accept his slaps are showing him respect.
@Diwakar: I just want an honest answer. Do you think your relationship with our batch was not close enough?
Priya Joyce said…
I think ragging is not as bad ..just taking introductions and cracking jokes n stuffs wud be fine...
but when it goes outaa perspective tats wen it's bad...

ter shud be a limit to ragging...bt nw as it is banned...and nt allowed...discussing all tat wun work...

Somehow...I dun quite follow the crowd tat ragging is bad...it just going outaa perspective tats all :)

Popular posts from this blog

Banku and Bhootnath Authorspeak: I was going through my old files when I came across this one. I had written it long back when I saw ‘Bhootnath’ and happily forgot about it. Thus, unfortunately it never saw the Blogworld. This post has taken few potshots on some of the best people I have been with and I know that they won't mind this narration. Now that I am a little busy to write anything of significance this may act as filler. I do not know whether I will ever continue with the narration though. Year 2060: Banku and Bhootnath are sitting on a rooftop staring at the beautiful sky. The vast expanse of sky has them captivated when suddenly Banku is bugged by a childish curiosity. Banku: “Bhootnath, tell me how these stars are formed?” Bhootnath: (Obviously forgetting the reasons behind the formation of stars, fumbled to reply. You can not blame him. He is dead for 30 years and has not opened books since then. And tell me how many living people have any
The Institute: Another Home Dark clouds gathered and decided to show their strength to the sun. As the sky turned dark and wind and rain joined the coalition of clouds, our cab raced through the streets of Calcutta. The sun was overpowered and I and my brother prayed to reach our destination before the rain hits the accelerator button. That was two years ago and I was on my way to join one of the premier institutes in India for my postgraduate studies. I was in awe with everything associated with the institute. At the same time I was a bit nervous and perhaps petrified with the thought of matching the wits of some of the best brains in the country for two years. My brother, on contrary, was happy, excited and perhaps proud of the achievement of his brother. After the drive of about an hour my brother pointed out “Look we have arrived.”. There was a pang within me as I smiled and watched nervously at the board of the institute. As we entered through the gate, the two large lakes on eit